Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best non-eir provided router to use?

• 11-01-2019 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm pretty rubbish when it comes to all things broadband and routers and so on, so would love some help.

Currently have a F2000 router from eir, which has a poor signal and weak range.

It also seems to constantly drop a Netflix connection after 10 mins or so. YouTube on the TV seems okay, while the Netflix app, and to a lesser extent, the ,Prime video app, seem to cut out after 10 mins.

It seems the higher quality the stream, the shorter the connection lasts, before the app tells me there is an issue with my internet

I suspect it's down to the router, so am looking to buy a new one.

Can anyone tell me of a decent router that is plug and play and is compatible with my connection?

Have looked at the TP-Link Ac1200

EDIT: I should note the TV is connected to the router via a power line adapter that plugs directly with Ethernet into the router.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The AC1200 is very good and easy to configure (I ran one for 2 years with Eir).

Do make sure your line is stable / no internal issues as well though in case it's a sync speed issue. You can do so from 192.168.1.254 > Maintain

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

advertsfox wrote: »
    The AC1200 is very good and easy to configure (I ran one for 2 years with Eir).

Do make sure your line is stable / no internal issues as well though in case it's a sync speed issue. You can do so from 192.168.1.254 > Maintain

Thanks for the response!

I believe it's fibre but I live in an area with old copper lines so not convinced it's a particularly stable line.

I'd be getting 40Mb/s beside the router over WiFi

balfe1990 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response!

I believe it's fibre but I live in an area with old copper lines so not convinced it's a particularly stable line.

I'd be getting 40Mb/s beside the router over WiFi
    And how about being connected via LAN? That will show your max throughput as Wi-Fi (G) has limitations (also depends on your device). If you get your DSL / line sync details, we can see how well that is performing in terms of stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I'd be looking at the powerline adapters rather than the router for your Netflix and Amazon drop outs.

I'd be looking at the powerline adapters rather than the router for your Netflix and Amazon drop outs.
    Since he mentioned Prime, I assume he has a Fire Stick so that won't help in this case but I do agree, powerline / LAN connections where possible are a must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OP describes drops not stutters/poor perf. If the EoP or Wifi were struggling you'd be see it dropping to 360p and stuttering.

When it stops, is DSL flashing? If so a change of router will not help you.

Since he mentioned Prime, I assume he has a Fire Stick so that won't help in this case but I do agree, powerline / LAN connections where possible are a must.

I just use the TV app. Had zero problems in my previous residence, though I was lucky enough to hard wire the TV direct to the router there.

At the moment , I'm using a power line adapter, not convinced I could even get a signal otherwise.

Performance is generally fine, for all I can see, it will stream 4k, or close to, on Netflix .

It'll perform fine and then just drop the connection for no obstensible reason.

And how about being connected via LAN? That will show your max throughput as Wi-Fi (G) has limitations (also depends on your device). If you get your DSL / line sync details, we can see how well that is performing in terms of stability.

How would I do this?

And I appreciate the help that everyone is so kind to offer in this thread

ED E wrote: »
    OP describes drops not stutters/poor perf. If the EoP or Wifi were struggling you'd be see it dropping to 360p and stuttering.

When it stops, is DSL flashing? If so a change of router will not help you.

Can't check at the moment, but will update when I do.

What would the above mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

balfe1990 wrote: »
    How would I do this?

And I appreciate the help that everyone is so kind to offer in this thread

For the line stats log into the router. It defaults to 192.168.1.254 I think. Username is admin password is on the back of the router.

Then go to the Maintain tab and the line stats should be in the DSL information section.

ED E is wondering if the line is dropping completely when you get these drop outs. When they happen can you still load webpages on WiFi on your phone or a tablet or laptop?

• Advertisement

For the line stats log into the router. It defaults to 192.168.1.254 I think. Username is admin password is on the back of the router.

Then go to the Maintain tab and the line stats should be in the DSL information section.

ED E is wondering if the line is dropping completely when you get these drop outs. When they happen can you still load webpages on WiFi on your phone or a tablet or laptop?

Still away, but yes, it seems that way. But not sure as I will be able to boot the app back up within 5 mins and have it work.

Advertisement