Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo 2020 Qualifying. Athletes to watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Yep I believe so, I listen to the podcast dont think I missed any changes to plan
    Huh, interesting. Well, from the selection policy, a good performance at Boston would bump him up in these criteria:
    A. Consistency and Repeatability of performances (in all or any events) during the qualification period, achieving the performance standard and showing current form and fitness
    B. Statistical data (ranking/performance list, performance-time curves, course ratings, altitude/wind adjustments)
    C. Championship performance history, in particular the history of the athlete’s on-demand performances at major championships
    Arguably more so than, say, a 2:10:59 in a less-prestigious marathon

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Yes you would think so, but having both would have seemed like the best option to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

28064212 wrote: »
    Huh, interesting. Well, from the selection policy, a good performance at Boston would bump him up in these criteria:Arguably more so than, say, a 2:10:59 in a less-prestigious marathon

Even now he hits all 3, a great dublin and heuston runs, times improving each time.

And the way he tackles the marathon, ie starts slow and finishes strong, he will suit the Olympics if a tough race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Even now he hits all 3, a great dublin and heuston runs, times improving each time.

And the way he tackles the marathon, ie starts slow and finishes strong, he will suit the Olympics if a tough race

Dublin, Houston, Boston then Tokyo he hopes in 12 months, the man is supremely talented but fook me that’s just to much you have to think? Four marathons at 100% in that time frame has to come back and bite you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

OOnegative wrote: »
    Dublin, Houston, Boston then Tokyo he hopes in 12 months, the man is supremely talented but fook me that’s just to much you have to think? Four marathons at 100% in that time frame has to come back and bite you.

Tell me about it :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Enduro

Err... no. Why would it. Any evidence to back up? References to good science? anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

FWIW Scullion is the only athlete qualified who hasn’t done the time

Not the only Irish athlete, he’s the only male marathon runner in the world to do it. Everyone else who’s finished top 5/10 in a world marathon to qualify has the time

They’re already way over the allocated 80 places too

Dodge wrote: »
    FWIW Scullion is the only athlete qualified who hasn’t done the time

Not the only Irish athlete, he’s the only male marathon runner in the world to do it. Everyone else who’s finished top 5/10 in a world marathon to qualify has the time

They’re already way over the allocated 80 places too

True but Scullion hasn't ran on a fast course, but instead on a racing course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Enduro wrote: »
    Err... no. Why would it. Any evidence to back up? References to good science? anything?

Tell us why it isn’t? No I’ve none of the things you asked to back my statement up, it’s just my humble opinion that 4 marathons at full tilt in 12 months is a bit much even if you’re a talented elite runner like Scullion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Oh I’m not arguing against Scullion! Just find his situation interesting. The Nike revolution has skewed the whole marathon qualification. The IAAF expected far more to qualify through the placings/rankings

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Oh I’m not arguing against Scullion! Just find his situation interesting. The Nike revolution has skewed the whole marathon qualification. The IAAF expected far more to qualify through the placings/rankings

Yeah the nike runners has changed it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

Kevin Seaward 2:10:10 in Zurich this morning.

Is seaward still teaching? Where does he train?
    Amazing time if he is, can't help but wonder if he was a full time athlete in altitude what time he'd do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Interesting..would you think that it's an ideal racing strategy.

Not sure that there is any "evidence" or "good science" to say either way. But the vast vast majority of elite marathon runners would only do 2 or 3 marathon over 12 months. Of course this doesn't say it's the "correct way"
    Scullion will have 5 marathon in 12 months if we take Doha into account. Do you feel this is a good approach, if so, why.? It would be great to get your perspective.

For the sake of discussion. If you were to coach an athlete for a championship marathon race, what would you have them do in terms of races in the previous 12 months.

He mentions quite a lot on his podcast how he recovery very quickly from Marathons, its one of his talents or some ****e like that

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Don’t forget Doha as well

Houston is a lightning fast course

Plenty would argue the merits of the science around periodisation and in short time frame there could be compromised (or indeed absence of) preparatory phases which could increase risks (depending on the person and their background)

Bompa and Haff’s work around this are interesting read.

I do think these Nike shoes prob impact how we perceive marathon recovery though so imagine there will be shifts in the norm in near future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

KSU wrote: »

The wind in houston this year was apparently really bad, which probably takes the fast aspect of it out.

Not with a gale force wind against you

Not with a gale force wind against you

Wind definitely would have had a bearing but also worth nothing the half times on same day were my top exactly slow 9 men sub 60 as well as J Robertson Finishing in relative range of his PB.

Definitely would have slowed some miles no doubt but how much of a bearing that had remains to be seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

World Half Marathon selections were announced. Only sending a Men's team.
    https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/world-half-marathon-selection-2020

wgtomblin wrote: »
    World Half Marathon selections were announced. Only sending a Men's team.
    https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/world-half-marathon-selection-2020

Most Women are still chasing qualifiers for Tokyo

Would Scullion's choice to do NY Half and Boston have put him out of the running for World Half selection?

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Would Scullion's choice to do NY Half and Boston have put him out of the running for World Half selection?

I would have thought he had the option, be interesting to see if he talks about it

I would have thought he had the option, be interesting to see if he talks about it

He hasnt ran a 63 min half since Jan 2018 (Houston) and Flynn won Charleville in 2019 so a much more recent time, perhaps that's why.

Isn't to tobin going for it?

Just saw confirmed, he is running Hamburg in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Just saw confirmed, he is running Hamburg in April.

I did say that a few days ago ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Anyone any idea what Coscoran's time today (3:41) does for his ranking in the 1500?

He was 9 spots outside before it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Olympics could be delayed.
    BBC News wrote:
    Japan could be allowed to postpone Olympics to end of year, says minister
    Japan's contract with the International Olympic Committee allows it to postpone the Tokyo games until the end of the year, Japan's Olympics minister was quoting as saying in a Reuters report.

"The contract calls for the games to be held within 2020. That could be interpreted as allowing a postponement," Seiko Hashimoto said in response to a question in parliament.

The Games are due to begin in July this year in the capital Tokyo.

If numbers are seen to drop off fairly soon in China then having a delay of a few months could work as the rest of the world would be a few months behind China. Might work, but can't see a delay until next year working as will just impact on everything else too much then.

Bad luck for Tokyo as they would then have had two cancelled Olympics.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Olympics could be delayed.

If numbers are seen to drop off fairly soon in China then having a delay of a few months could work as the rest of the world would be a few months behind China. Might work, but can't see a delay until next year working as will just impact on everything else too much then.

Bad luck for Tokyo as they would then have had two cancelled Olympics.

Surely there is a bigger risk of a round 2 in Japan in December at it will be winter again.

I think when the weather heats up, this will disappear for awhile or we just get on with our lives and accept it like we do to the flu.

Advertisement