Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo 2020 Qualifying. Athletes to watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Surely there is a bigger risk of a round 2 in Japan in December at it will be winter again.

I think when the weather heats up, this will disappear for awhile or we just get on with our lives and accept it like we do to the flu.
    I think the hope is that a vaccine will be developed by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

cant really get on with it until vaccine or its gone seen as we could accidentally kill our parents etc

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Surely there is a bigger risk of a round 2 in Japan in December at it will be winter again.

I think when the weather heats up, this will disappear for awhile or we just get on with our lives and accept it like we do to the flu.

Right now we have no reason to suppose this virus is seasonal. It's widespread in Singapore right now, for example, with temperatures in the 30s.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

pc11 wrote: »
    Right now we have no reason to suppose this virus is seasonal. It's widespread in Singapore right now, for example, with temperatures in the 30s.

Is seasonal flu seasonal due to the exact weather temperatures, or due to the variation in temperatures affecting peoples immune systems? I think they still get seasonal flu in Australia and their winter is warmer than our summer.

It cant survive in the sun, maybe that's why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I think the hope is that a vaccine will be developed by then.

But a flu type virus changes every year so the vaccine won't work on the new edition

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But a flu type virus changes every year so the vaccine won't work on the new edition

The new flu vaccines each year are for which version they think will be most common in the upcoming season, rather than there being one seasonal flu that keeps morphing.

It's really just a wild guess though, which is why people who have had a flu jab each year still get flu. *cough*

Other tricks I use, treadmill in a gym beside work on lunchbreak, stopping somewhere on way home from work, running lafter kids are all in bed(done 10pm lsr on sunday gone), running at 2am cause you're pure psycho.

I'd love to own a treadmill, dont have the room for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

It's not widespread in Singapore. There's about 100 cases, with around 2 new cases a day. That is not widespread. The only reason they even have that much is because it's an international travel hub.

Italy has 3,000 cases. 100 cases is not what I would call widespread.

The Philippines and Vietnam have no active cases right now. Africa and South America have very few cases.

I think daylight, temperatures and humidity are a big factor here.

robinph wrote: »
    Is seasonal flu seasonal due to the exact weather temperatures, or due to the variation in temperatures affecting peoples immune systems? I think they still get seasonal flu in Australia and their winter is warmer than our summer.

More fake news. Australian winters can be quite chilly. I woke up many mornings to frost in Melbourne in June and July. It could be as low as 3 degrees at 7am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lads seriously there's a whole other coronavirus thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Lads seriously there's a whole other coronavirus thread

https://youtu.be/uo7HB-slsm4

Anyone have a link to Scullion’s interview in the Indo from the other day, not paying for premium articles out here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Chivito550 wrote: »
    It's not widespread in Singapore. There's about 100 cases, with around 2 new cases a day. That is not widespread. The only reason they even have that much is because it's an international travel hub.

Italy has 3,000 cases. 100 cases is not what I would call widespread.

The Philippines and Vietnam have no active cases right now. Africa and South America have very few cases.

I think daylight, temperatures and humidity are a big factor here.

Singapore has the same population as Ireland and has around 20x the cases. We're only just getting started.

But I'm highly amused you believe that there are no cases in the Phillipines or Vietnam. The official stats contradict that: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

And even if they had reported no cases, that would be a bit like there were allegedly no cases in Indonesia (which has strong links to China) until the other day and there are supposedly only 3 in Russia (which has a land border with China).

I have a bridge here I'd like to sell you!

And how much testing do you think they do in Africa? And even in countries where you might believe the government, they can only count cases when they actually test people. It should be obvious that they are not testing all possible cases. Even in the US we now know that the virus has been circulating for weeks with nobody testing for it so it wasn't detected.

Right now you can speculate about seasonality but the world's experts don't know if it is and I don't think you're one of them, sorry.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    More fake news. Australian winters can be quite chilly. I woke up many mornings to frost in Melbourne in June and July. It could be as low as 3 degrees at 7am!

When everyone is still tucked up in bed no doubt, but what temperature was it during the day. And that still doesn't answer the question if flu is seasonal because of the ambient temperature or because of variations in people's immune systems.

Maybe this virus is not seasonal, but it spreading in various different climates in different countries doesn't really prove anything one way or another yet.

Singapore has the same population as Ireland and has around 20x the cases. We're only just getting started.

But I'm highly amused you believe that there are no cases in the Phillipines or Vietnam. The official stats contradict that: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

And even if they had reported no cases, that would be a bit like there were allegedly no cases in Indonesia (which has strong links to China) until the other day and there are supposedly only 3 in Russia (which has a land border with China).

I have a bridge here I'd like to sell you!

And how much testing do you think they do in Africa? And even in countries where you might believe the government, they can only count cases when they actually test people. It should be obvious that they are not testing all possible cases. Even in the US we now know that the virus has been circulating for weeks with nobody testing for it so it wasn't detected.

Right now you can speculate about seasonality but the world's experts don't know if it is and I don't think you're one of them, sorry.

I've been following that exact link that you sent me. I was referring to no ACTIVE cases in Vietnam and Philippines. All cases in both countries have been resolved.

Of course I'm speculating, but am speculating off the data that is presented.

Regarding Singapore, they had no new cases yesterday, 2 the day before, 2 the day before that again. That's a situation that appears under control. Compare that to 800 new cases in Korea (equivalent of Singapore having around 90 new cases each day when adjusting for population).

robinph wrote: »
    When everyone is still tucked up in bed no doubt, but what temperature was it during the day. And that still doesn't answer the question if flu is seasonal because of the ambient temperature or because of variations in people's immune systems.

Maybe this virus is not seasonal, but it spreading in various different climates in different countries doesn't really prove anything one way or another yet.

On a good day the high could be 16, on a bad day 9. The average high in Melbourne is 13! And that's the high. Temperatures are consistently under 10 at various points during the day. Also insulation in houses is so bad there. I'd wake up in the morning and be able to see my breath when I'm in my house. This never happens here.

Up in Queensland and Northern Territory absolutely their winters are hotter than our summers. In fact they don't have winter and summer, but rather wet season and dry season. But down in the south you are completely mistaken. Melbourne has 4 million people. Sydney with 4.5 million is only a little warmer than Melbourne.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058057227/7/#post112728911

Lads take the discussion here if ye don’t mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Anyway back to athletics and the Olympics

World athletics update their rankings every Wednesday

On the women’s side Ciara Neville got 7 extra points and is now in a qualification spot. She’s 54 of 56 qualifiers. Marathon runner Anne Marie Glynn gained 17 points but she’s a bit outside the qualifiers (and it’s unlikely there’ll be any from the rankings...)

Neville (100m), Phil Healy (200m) and Michelle Finn (3,000m SC) are in qualification spots

On the men’s side Mark English lost 25 points but he’s still ranked in the qualifiers. As is Leon Reid and Marcus Lawlor in the 200m and Thomas Barr in the 400m H

So if qualifying ended today Ireland would have an athletics team of 14 individual heading to Tokyo

Why would English lose points after winning national champs? Was the time too slow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Aoife Cooke will have a rattle off the marathon QT soon. It's a big ask but she's going fairly well it seems.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Why would English lose points after winning national champs? Was the time too slow?

He got 40 points for winning it, and 1147 points for his ‘performance score’ (ie the time)

As a guide his outdoor national championship time (1:48:15) earned 1179 while his Birmingham Grand Prix winning time (1:45:94) earned him 1285

He also got 100 points for the national championship and 140 for winning the Grand Prix

Surprised he didnt look for a faster time at nationals but I'm sure he has his reason planned out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Because his performance at the European Indoor Championships is now more than 12 months old, so it drops off his ranking calculation. He got 1268 points for his performance in the Euros

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Itziger wrote: »
    Aoife Cooke will have a rattle off the marathon QT soon. It's a big ask but she's going fairly well it seems.

I think in an article with Sonia O'Sullivan she said she is going to Vienna in April.

Dodge wrote: »
    Anyway back to athletics and the Olympics

World athletics update their rankings every Wednesday

On the women’s side Ciara Neville got 7 extra points and is now in a qualification spot. She’s 54 of 56 qualifiers. Marathon runner Anne Marie Glynn gained 17 points but she’s a bit outside the qualifiers (and it’s unlikely there’ll be any from the rankings...)

Neville (100m), Phil Healy (200m) and Michelle Finn (3,000m SC) are in qualification spots

On the men’s side Mark English lost 25 points but he’s still ranked in the qualifiers. As is Leon Reid and Marcus Lawlor in the 200m and Thomas Barr in the 400m H

So if qualifying ended today Ireland would have an athletics team of 14 individual heading to Tokyo

I missed Cian McManamon in the 20k walk. He’s 59/60 at the moment. Alex Wright has the time for 20k but would qualify for the 50k thanks to the ranks too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Dodge wrote: »
    I missed Cian McManamon in the 20k walk. He’s 59/60 at the moment. Alex Wright has the time for 20k but would qualify for the 50k thanks to the ranks too

Any idea where Coscoran ranks right now in the 1500?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Lazare wrote: »
    Any idea where Coscoran ranks right now in the 1500?
    85th in the rankings: https://www.worldathletics.org/world-rankings/1500m/men?regionType=world&page=1&rankDate=2020-03-03&limitByCountry=0

Looks like 11 places off a qualifier spot: https://www.tokyorankings.com/mens1500

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Yeah. He’s 56th when the 3 per nation rule is applied

45 spots available

• Advertisement

Looks like he is set for a breakthrough time though outdoor. Here's hoping. He looked very strong in winning the indoors.

Advertisement