Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gorilla glue to mount TV

• 11-01-2019 4:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭

The ads show it is strong stuff. I don’t have a drill, the new 55 inch tv I bought is light. Will the glue work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

As strong as it may appear. I wouldnt risk a new tv with it. Can you ask anybody you may know if they have a drill or could do it for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Christ don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JamBur

What about when you need to paint, fit cables, adjust the angle? Never mind trying to hold it in place while it sets. What about the warranty on your new tv? Christ, I cant think of a single half decent reason to do it.

In short.................NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

The ads show it is strong stuff. I don’t have a drill, the new 55 inch tv I bought is light. Will the glue work?

Ah yeah, it'll be fine, what could possibly go wrong. You'll have a warranty anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

T'will surely, get gluing! Sure what's the worst that could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭BobMc

Sure risk it and see and let us know, whats the worst that would happen :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

There tape claims 30lbs, this is over 13kg. My tv and bracket are under 10.

https://www.gorillatough.com/product/heavy-duty-mounting-tape/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

JamBur wrote: »
    What about when you need to paint, fit cables, adjust the angle? Never mind trying to hold it in place while it sets. What about the warranty on your new tv? Christ, I cant think of a single half decent reason to do it.

In short.................NO

All of this!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Remember to video you putting the TV on the bracket when it’s set and ready.

That way when it smashes on the floor and hilarity ensues you can sell the video to some of the tv shows and hopefully get the price of the tv back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Main issue here is the bonding of the glue to the wall. Your paint may not support the weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It depends, do you think the paint on your wall or the cardboard on the plaster board can handle 13kg.

Use proper fixings to secure the bracket correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

This is the craziest question I have seen in a long while. Use Blutac instead, that way you can remove it to paint etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

The glue might be strong enough but the plasterboard ourter layer is not strong enough. You will end up with the glue in tact but with a 2mm deep chunk (perhaps deeper in the middle depending on how much the outler layer pulls away) out of your wall and broken TV - And thats my gaurantee

Is it plasterboard wall? Do you have a hammer and a screwdriver?
    These yokes might do the trick...https://www.woodies.ie/diy/screws-and-fixings/fixings/molly-10-x-60mm-fixings-multi-kit-1097885

Presumably you are going to stick it to a painted wall?
    You are sticking it to paint if so, not a great idea :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Neither the glue or the tape are a viable solution. You need a wall bracket or a stand. You'll ruin a good tv. Stop considering these products.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

This is a gag yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Duct tape it up - thatll hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,745 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Use Solvite wallpaper paste sure! Remember it held that guy up under a helicopter. Mighty stuff!

hqdefault-2.jpg

Seriously, Gorilla glue is great in the right applications, but in this one it will 'shear' straight off the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Gorilla Glue is great .
    this will definitely work ,definitely

Please updates us on how well it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gorilla Glue is great .
    this will definitely work ,definitely

Please updates us on how well it works

And set up a webcam so we can take bets as to how long it’ll take!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

3 days of trolling different forums with 1 liner threads.

and hasnt got caught yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

listermint wrote: »

Is this trolling?
    We're all enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

listermint wrote: »

It's not trolling unless someone reports it and a mod bothers to do something.

Wow this is gone crazy. Start a thread and I’m accused of trolling. The double sided tape states what it can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Augeo wrote: »
    These yokes might do the trick...https://www.woodies.ie/diy/screws-and-fixings/fixings/molly-10-x-60mm-fixings-multi-kit-1097885

How do those work exactly?

Pussyhands wrote: »
    How do those work exactly?

Hammer/poke in the receptacle thing.....than screw in the screw bit.....as screw tightens in the outer of the receptacle yoke bends outwards....it ends up flush against the inside surface of the wall spreading the force around.

Grand yokes.....holds decent kgs soundly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Wow this is gone crazy. Start a thread and I’m accused of trolling. The double sided tape states what it can do.
    one side of tape going on to tv,thats fine,but what is the other side going onto?,painted wall?,skim coat?,Tdouble sided tape may not give way but the paint or skim coat probably will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is this trolling?
    We're all enjoying it.

Review the definition of trolling. And yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

They look like they might do the trick,but you need a drill which the op doesn't have.

• Advertisement

Mary I don't think it will hold and you shouldn't go ahead but please videotape it if you do go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

F**k, woodies so expensive for alot of items. I get those fittings for €5.00 from my local hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭bassy

good girl mary your at it again.................................................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Are you off your ****ing rocker, seriously?

Ask yourself this question, how many people that you know have hung their 55lnch TV using glue ?

Yes that’s the correct answer , absolutely ****ing no one cause it’s a ****ing bonkers idea ..... seriously !!!!!

milehip wrote: »
    They look like they might do the trick,but you need a drill which the op doesn't have.

If it's plaster board a drill isn't needed :) they hammer in nicely....initial hole can be done without a drill, screw or anything will do the job.

If it's plaster board a drill isn't needed :) they hammer in nicely....initial hole can be done without a drill, screw or anything will do the job.
    They don't cost 17 euro in most places either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

What about the setting tool...which in woodies will cost you about €45

Anyway, I wouldn't risk a tv with these, they're a good fitting but really not that strong.

OP - you can get drills in places like aldi/lidl/ikea for very little. You need to be able to tell what kind of bracket it is and what kind of wall (plasterboard on studs, insulated plasterboard on top of blocks etc.). You're waaay overestimating the forces and over estimating the abilities of glue/tape (and underestimating the damage they would do)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ah yeah, it'll be fine, what could possibly go wrong. You'll have a warranty anyway
    Warranty covers defects, not user stupidity.

OP; you've spent a few hundred on the TV; at least spend 100 to mount it correctly.

They don't cost 17 euro in most places either.

As with anything shop around.....that's the first link google threw at me

jhenno78 wrote: »
    What about the setting tool...which in woodies will cost you about €45

....)

I didn't need a setting tool for the ones I used.

https://www.woodies.ie/molly-4-5mm-no-drilling-hollow-fixings-x3-screw-pack-of-25-1049456

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

OP if you remove some of the electronic bits and pieces from the inside of the TV it will make it much lighter. Gorilla glue should work fine then. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

OP if you remove some of the electronic bits and pieces from the inside of the TV it will make it much lighter. Gorilla glue should work fine then. Best of luck with it.

Why would I need to remove bits when I have engineered the tape to work. Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Marybrosnan what county u in. If near by I would hang it for u with screws.

Why would I need to remove bits when I have engineered the tape to work. Think about it.

Silly me. Maybe just draw a picture on the wall. A scene from your favourite soap for example. You could watch that and then you wouldn't even need the engineering tape.

Silly me. Maybe just draw a picture on the wall. A scene from your favourite soap for example. You could watch that and then you wouldn't even need the engineering tape.

It’s ok honey, the elevator doesn’t go to the top floor for you does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,745 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A projector...problem sorted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kev111

No Mary ur taking the totally wrong approach to this.. Gorilla tape my a**se.. You can't use this. We are trying to protect the envoirment here. Gorilla tape is made from gorilla's. Scrap that.. Just get a coffee table and fit the god damm stand that is included with the TV..

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Given what you're suggesting I would say that you're in no position to be casting aspersions on other posters' intelligence. That said, the jury's still out on whether or not you're trolling, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

You asked a question in this particular forum, if you didn't want an answer you don't like then why bother asking in the first place? You've been told that the paint on the wall is the issue, not whether or not the glue can take the weight, and you've chosen to ignore that. At this stage my advice would be to do whatever you want to do, you seem hell-bent on doing that anyway. And to do it soon so that you can get a replacement TV while the sales are still on.

What would a troll know about elevators? Thought they lived under bridges

Zaph wrote: »
    Given what you're suggesting I would say that you're in no position to be casting aspersions on other posters' intelligence. That said, the jury's still out on whether or not you're trolling, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

You asked a question in this particular forum, if you didn't want an answer you don't like then why bother asking in the first place? You've been told that the paint on the wall is the issue, not whether or not the glue can take the weight, and you've chosen to ignore that. At this stage my advice would be to do whatever you want to do, you seem hell-bent on doing that anyway. And to do it soon so that you can get a replacement TV while the sales are still on.

Perharps deal with all the trolls that have derailed my thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

A look at the warranty and the basis they won't shell out more than the cost of the tape should be warning enough.

LIMITED WARRANTY: This product must be used according to its instructions. No other warranties, either expressed or implied, are given or made. In no event will Gorilla Glue’s entire liability exceed the purchase price of this product.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement