Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gorilla glue to mount TV

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

Zaph wrote: »
    Given what you're suggesting I would say that you're in no position to be casting aspersions on other posters' intelligence. That said, the jury's still out on whether or not you're trolling, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

You asked a question in this particular forum, if you didn't want an answer you don't like then why bother asking in the first place? You've been told that the paint on the wall is the issue, not whether or not the glue can take the weight, and you've chosen to ignore that. At this stage my advice would be to do whatever you want to do, you seem hell-bent on doing that anyway. And to do it soon so that you can get a replacement TV while the sales are still on.

And further more do some research on what gorilla glue and tape is before you come in with your size 4 1/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And further more do some research on what gorilla glue and tape is before you come in with your size 4 1/2.

We know what you think it can do. Hold a tv to a thin skin of paint, which is all it will be sticking to essentially. What could go wrong. :)

It’s being stuck to a timber fitted unit, Francie you’re getting carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kev111

This is one sticky problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It’s being stuck to a timber fitted unit, Francie you’re getting carried away.

You don't need a drill in that case, a screwdriver will work fine.

The dead weight of the telly will shear the tape, maybe not immediately but dead weight never stops pulling. Your project is doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Is the back of the TV curved OP? If so try mounting it front side flush to the wall ensuring a greater surface area for the gorilla tape to stick to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Some people shouldn’t do DIY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Not knowing about certain things mishaps do happen as i had a narrow 4" shelf about 3 ft long off cut on a table top and used that expensive silicone that can glue underwater.I later found my shelf was coming away from the wall.THE wall was painted was my problem,luckily enough a few plastic fruit jars are underneath and shelf is still there and not much weight on it..
    If needs must there are installers that do these things correctly,my one in the bedroom can come out 24" and swivel so plenty of room in behind to mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Oh Mary, why don’t you have some sense
    Please do something to restore my confidence

• Advertisement

Is the back of the TV curved OP? If so try mounting it front side flush to the wall ensuring a greater surface area for the gorilla tape to stick to.
    Thanks Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Recently I asked staff advice in a diy shop on fixing a cabinet to a wall. I wanted to get the correct fittings and needed it secure and fixed to a plaster wall that had been painted.

Explained that I needed it fixed securely with no play and he recommended I use gorilla glue :-0

I didn’t take the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

The ads show it is strong stuff. I don’t have a drill, the new 55 inch tv I bought is light. Will the glue work?

Why not ask whoever you bought it from?

Assuming you bought it from an electrical retailer, they'd be best placed to supply written advice about gluing it to the wall.

Can you post a picture of the wall in case the seller wasn't a retailer?

Thanks Kevin.

No problem!
    Goes without saying you'll need to mount it in an adjacent room of where you'll actually be viewing the TV. Careful the kango hammer doesn't penetrate the screen on breaking out the new ope for viewing.

What’s with everyone wanting videos and photos of my home. Way beyond weird.

No problem!
    Goes without saying you'll need to mount it in an adjacent room of where you'll actually be viewing the TV. Careful the kango hammer doesn't penetrate the screen on breaking out the new ope for viewing.

I’ll make sure I won’t penetrate you.

• Advertisement

I’ll make sure I won’t penetrate you.

Can't beat a can do spirit! Go DIY Team Mary!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Is that the house you got free from the council you benefits bum!

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Is that the house you got free from the council you benefits bum!

I have paid my taxes.

I have paid my taxes.

On the things you buy with your dole money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

There tape claims 30lbs, this is over 13kg. My tv and bracket are under 10.

https://www.gorillatough.com/product/heavy-duty-mounting-tape/

"Up to" 30 lbs

• Advertisement

Time wrote: »
    "Up to" 30 lbs
    Are you saying it won’t hold 30?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Are you saying it won’t hold 30?

It might, then again it might not, give it a go and see.

Time wrote: »
    It might, then again it might not, give it a go and see.

Why did you make a big deal about it?

Why did you make a big deal about it?

Give over Mary will ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Cos you're wanting to mount something.

With glue.

Eucchhh��

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Give over Mary will ya!

You could give me a hand mounting the tv tomorrow.

You've got too much help from me in my taxes already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Bless your preserverence Mary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Half way through that sentence Mary I didn't know where you were going with it, nudge nudge wink wink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Forget about the TV mounted to the wall like that

Get a projector and use that gorilla glue to mount it to the ceiling instead

• Advertisement

They also do a new gorilla lip stick which helps you loose weight rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Augeo wrote: »
    Hammer/poke in the receptacle thing.....than screw in the screw bit.....as screw tightens in the outer of the receptacle yoke bends outwards....it ends up flush against the inside surface of the wall spreading the force around.

Grand yokes.....holds decent kgs soundly

How do they work in solid walls though? How would the claw thing bend outward in a solid wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Pussyhands wrote: »
    How do they work in solid walls though? How would the claw thing bend outward in a solid wall?
    there not for solid walls!

WARNING

Mary Brosnan is a vicious manipulating leech!

How did it go Mary?

How did it go Mary?

Probably glued to the TV now

How did it go Mary?

I got the plumber the council uses to mount the bracket with his drills. He had to call to replace a faulty valve in the hot press and broken toilet seat.
    New tv up and no gorilla tape used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

That’s disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

https://i.redd.it/umfh3wa2f28z.jpg

For future reference, this is what would have been the result if you glued the tv to the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Christ don't do it.

Ah why would you say that!? At the very least it would have been an interesting field study

I got the plumber the council uses to mount the bracket with his drills. He had to call to replace a faulty valve in the hot press and broken toilet seat.

Ah yeah more trolling but a wee bit more subtle to be fair to you

Now it's paid for handymen in your cheap or free council flat to fit your brand spanking new tv

7/10 for effort

Wow where did that come from.

And they had that screwed to wall,a very flimsy wall made of cardboard as you can put your fist through mine.Batons are needed to be found in those walls to make things secure.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

One for the TV but.... What other drilling did he do?

• Advertisement

Wow where did that come from.

I'm just perceptive like that

If you complain he mounted it too high you could get a few curtains hung or a bit of painting done the next time Mary. Food for thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I didn't think it was possible to be mounted too high but maybe I was wrong

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If you complain he mounted it too high you could get a few curtains hung or a bit of painting done the next time Mary. Food for thought...

Or just break the toilet seat again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

What a trollific result, the big TV is in place. End of thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement