Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A TV to connect NES, SNES and N64

Options
  • 11-01-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I would like to connect my old NES, SNES and N64 to a TV again. Tried it with my Samsung 4k but does not work as input frame rate is low. It's not detecting a signal on the input.

Would it be best to get an old CRT TV or are there any low budget TV's (32inch) to display the games in a fairly good quality?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

mku1977 wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to connect my old NES, SNES and N64 to a TV again. Tried it with my Samsung 4k but does not work as input frame rate is low. It's not detecting a signal on the input.

Would it be best to get an old CRT TV or are there any low budget TV's (32inch) to display the games in a fairly good quality?

A 29"/25"/21" Sony Trinitron is your only man, and a set of RGB cables for the SNES and N64.
    The TV will be cheap as chips though the cables will be a little more expensive but well worth it.
    Also, upgrade the TV to a Sony PVM or BVM at some point in the future and the SNES and N64 to NTSC instead of PAL, the bump to full screen and full speed is well worth it, especially on the N64, where every frame a second more makes it even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

You’ll want an AV cable for the NES
    An RGB Scart cable for the Snes (PAL version for PAL console)
    An SVideo cable for the N64 (doesn’t natively output RGB)

Use the above with a CRT tv, preferably a Sony Trinitron.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mku1977

Thanks for all your Feedback. Very helpful.

I do have all different cables to connect devices. That should be fine.

Will look out for Trinitron CRT TV. Sounds like this is the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks for all your Feedback. Very helpful.

I do have all different cables to connect devices. That should be fine.

Will look out for Trinitron CRT TV. Sounds like this is the best way to go.
    I saw an old mitsubishi tv on freetradeireland yesterday. Still there now, but I don't know if the adverts stay up after taken or not. Worth a shot.
    https://www.freetradeireland.ie/item_detail.php?item_id=134576

I was lucky enough to get a free Sony Trinitron CRT TV (KV-28LS36B). Connected my N64 via Chinch on Chinch input 3.
    When I started Mario N64, it didn't look great at all. Blury and some Text hard to read. Maybe it's just because I have not played it in a long time and are used to newer gaming consoles.

Would a Scart cable or S-Video improve quality?

• Advertisement

I was lucky enough to get a free Sony Trinitron CRT TV (KV-28LS36B). Connected my N64 via Chinch on Chinch input 3.
    When I started Mario N64, it didn't look great at all. Blury and some Text hard to read. Maybe it's just because I have not played it in a long time and are used to newer gaming consoles.

Would a Scart cable or S-Video improve quality?

Not really sure what you mean by Chinch, but no, it's not because you're used to modern consoles. N64 really needs svideo at a minimum to look decent, but preferably be RGB modded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Inviere wrote: »
    Not really sure what you mean by Chinch, but no, it's not because you're used to modern consoles. N64 really needs svideo at a minimum to look decent, but preferably be RGB modded.

I was expecting something something something....... emulation, to be the advice! :) :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was expecting something something something....... emulation, to be the advice! :) :pac:

Quiet you!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

As already suggested, a 32 inch CRT Sony Triniton TV are brilliant. I had one myself, sold it a few years ago, got feck all for it, you should be able to buy one for around €30. The thing is, it's a beast in terms of size and weight.

Not when it comes to N64. It's getting there, but don't think emulation of N64 is quite ready yet to compete with original hardware. Plus you need proper pc grunt to really do it right with increased internal resolutions etc.

• Advertisement

From bad to good video options.

RF<Composite<S-Video<RGB

Also, NTSC trumps PAL.

As I said, I got a Sony Trinitron CRT for free. A monster of a TV.
    Connected it with (Component ?) Red/White/Yellow connectors. The image is not great. It's lacking in definition
    Can I simply use the same Cable and connect it to an RGB Scart adapter to improve quality? Or do I need a proper N64 to RGB Cable?
    I also have a Cable with S-Video ordered and this should give me a much better image. Is this correct?

Sorry for all the (confusing) questions and thank you so much for the helpful information

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I was lookin at a 14 inch trinitron for sale, is that tiny? I've a 11 inch pvm and had my eye out for a 14 inch on adverts but they just aren't popping up. What do yis wreckon?

A SNES RGB cable is a handy purchase and will make your games shine on the Trinitron.
    The S-Video cable will do just fine with the N64.
    And then you're good to go.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A SNES RGB cable is a handy purchase and will make your games shine on the Trinitron.
    The S-Video cable will do just fine with the N64.
    And then you're good to go.
    Getting a proper one of those is harder that it sounds. I tried to get one and got a gamecube one but apparently they are different. Anyway the scart cable and the adapter I got to work with the pvm didn't work. Unless the monitor was to blame. The colours of the wire inside were red green and blue so I thought it would work but it wasn't to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Connected it with (Component ?) Red/White/Yellow connectors. The image is not great. It's lacking in definition
    Can I simply use the same Cable and connect it to an RGB Scart adapter to improve quality? Or do I need a proper N64 to RGB Cable?

That's composite, red and white carry the stereo audio, and yellow carries the picture. With component there are three video connections for a much better picture, but don't think you can get component connection for an N64.

A good quality SCART cable will give a much better image. But I mean the whole cable, not one of those adapter blocks, they'll give the same image quality as the composite cable.

iamtony wrote: »
    Getting a proper one of those is harder that it sounds. I tried to get one and got a gamecube one but apparently they are different. Anyway the scart cable and the adapter I got to work with the pvm didn't work. Unless the monitor was to blame. The colours of the wire inside were red green and blue so I thought it would work but it wasn't to be.

You'll find the N64 Svideo cable here - N64 S-Video & AV cable - PAL version (scroll down to see it, it's a combined cable with av connectors on it too). Use it with one of the "SCART / A/V /S-Video In/Out adapter" adapters further down the page - http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/n64/n64.htm

You'll find the "PAL SNES (Super Nintendo) RGB Scart cable" here - http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/snes/snes_hard.htm

The NES can use any AV cable (yellow and white I think)

Inviere wrote: »
    You'll find the N64 Svideo cable here - N64 S-Video & AV cable - PAL version (scroll down to see it, it's a combined cable with av connectors on it too). Use it with one of the "SCART / A/V /S-Video In/Out adapter" adapters further down the page - http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/n64/n64.htm

You'll find the "PAL SNES (Super Nintendo) RGB Scart cable" here - http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/snes/snes_hard.htm

The NES can use any AV cable (yellow and white I think)
    That's great thanks, I'll be ordering a snes rgb scart today to pair with the pvm rgb to scart thing I have. I see they have a cable that mentions sync from luma, is that anything I'd need with the pvm with the sync wire?

iamtony wrote: »
    That's great thanks, I'll be ordering a snes rgb scart today to pair with the pvm rgb to scart thing I have. I see they have a cable that mentions sync from luma, is that anything I'd need with the pvm with the sync wire?

Sorry haven't a clue about that man :o Never had the fortune of owning a PVM/BVM so don't know anything about them really

Advertisement