Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CELTA Courses Dublin, which one??!

Options
  • 11-01-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

There seems to be a few CELTA courses, not sure if any of you would have input as to which would be the best option?

Kaplan International and International House seem to be the top two.

Thinking along the lines of which has better quality teachers and would either be more recognized abroad?

Thanks for any help! Signing up this week for one!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Trekky77

I would definitely recommend Alpha College. I am a secondary teacher but I did my CELTA with them in 2012. That summer I got a months work in their Summer school. They look after you when you qualify and will employ you if they have the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

iqmdublin wrote: »
    Would either be more recognized abroad?
    No, they're both accredited by Cambridge and the qualification will be the same. You should also consider TrinityTESOL, which is just as widely recognised.

It's a very useful and enjoyable course, but be mindful that you'll have 10-hour days for the full four weeks if you follow the intensive route.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

jrmb wrote: »
    No, they're both accredited by Cambridge and the qualification will be the same. You should also consider TrinityTESOL, which is just as widely recognised.

It's a very useful and enjoyable course, but be mindful that you'll have 10-hour days for the full four weeks if you follow the intensive route.
    The different CELTA centres have a certain amount of independence in setting assignments that meet the general requirements, so it's worth talking to past trainees to find out what the different courses entail.

I did mine abroad so I'm afraid I can't say much about the courses here, but make sure you'll have access to computers and printers late into the evening - otherwise you'll be seriously set back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

I'd go with IH they have a very good and long standing reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭iqmdublin

Blaizes wrote: »
    I'd go with IH they have a very good and long standing reputation.

only seen this after booking with Kaplan!

Ah well!

I drove to have a look at both, and having somewhere safe to lock the bike was also a consideration! (preferred kaplan for this!)

I think Kaplan are fairly decent looking, so hoping all goes well!

10 hour days, ah well!

Just trying to brush up on the actual makeup of English now!

Not so worried about standing up in front of people, its just the whole - not having a clue what I'm talking about thing...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Don't worry at the end of the day the courses are probably similar enough and the bicycle lock up was a practical consideration so you did right.The course will be fine, lots of lesson planning, probably learning about the communicative approach, the four skills, grammar, group and pair work.It should be very enjoyable though.If you get stuck on anything post here.I did T.E.F.L before so might be able to help.Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Darragh01

Hey,

Just thought I would see since you booked with Kaplan, did you do the interview yet? If so what was it like? Do they ask much grammar questions?

Been awhile since I studied grammar and would need a refresh.

For anyone who has participated on a prior CELTA course how long would you give yourself before the start of the course for pre-course preparation?

Thinking of applying for either Kaplan or International House as well shortly just not sure to aim for a course coming up or to give myself time to refresh on my grammar and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭iqmdublin

Darragh01 wrote: »
    Hey,

Just thought I would see since you booked with Kaplan, did you do the interview yet? If so what was it like? Do they ask much grammar questions?

Been awhile since I studied grammar and would need a refresh.

For anyone who has participated on a prior CELTA course how long would you give yourself before the start of the course for pre-course preparation?

Thinking of applying for either Kaplan or International House as well shortly just not sure to aim for a course coming up or to give myself time to refresh on my grammar and such.

Haven’t a clue myself! Doings some basic grammar study and things like that but will have more of an idea after the course what someone should be doing!

Conflicting info online, some saying relax and just work hard for the course, others saying don’t sleep for 5 months beforehand and read 6,000 books. I’m leaning towards the first one!

Advertisement