Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duff engagement ring

Options
  • 11-01-2019 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there

Bought my fiancé a ring eleven months ago, cost 3 k, one stone fell out three months later and we brought it back, the jewellery store sent it back to Italy and we got it back a few weeks later, my fiancé noticed today that two stones have fallen out, I'm planning on demanding a full refund but was just wondering if the store has any grounds to accuse us of neglect, I have no qualms about threatening legal action and as this has now happened twice in less than a year, we have no confidence in the integrity of what we envisaged would be a life long important purchase.

Just wonder how stores usually deal with these situations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its quite likely they will accuse you of neglect, if so you need to show the condition of the rest of the ring is as close to perfect as any 11 month old ring would be; and emphasise that they accepted the previous stone falling out as an issue. Repairs have to be effective, this would appear not to be (presumably the re-set stone hasn't fallen out yet)

3k is over the limit for Small Claims unfortunately so legal action would have to be "full" court which is vastly more expensive to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

L1011 wrote: »
    Its quite likely they will accuse you of neglect, if so you need to show the condition of the rest of the ring is as close to perfect as any 11 month old ring would be; and emphasise that they accepted the previous stone falling out as an issue. Repairs have to be effective, this would appear not to be (presumably the re-set stone hasn't fallen out yet)

3k is over the limit for Small Claims unfortunately so legal action would have to be "full" court which is vastly more expensive to do.

I would have no qualms about pursuing the store and would be confident that the risk of bad publicity would inspire them to be reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KatieN

Hi there, I don’t normally post at all but very similar happened with my own engagement ring and I got a full refund, as well as keeping the ring. We had got my grandmother’s original diamonds from her ring reset by a jeweler in a new ring at a cost of about 1,000. It was a small vintage ring with tiny diamonds but he convinced us he could do it. First diamond fell out the night we got it, so we rang the jeweler who was very apologetic and fixed it. Then another one went and again everyone was nice about it. The other 2 diamonds fell out within 3 weeks of me getting it back and I never found them. I sent him an email saying how upset we were and said I would put it all on social media asap if he didn’t refund us. I think I might have acted differently if I felt he was a small genuine business. As it was, I felt he had done such a ‘sales’ job on us and really he didn’t know what he was doing. As soon as I mentioned Facebook he met me straight away. Full refund and I kept the ring. I think part of the strength was that he used social media a lot so if your place does too they will know the damage a bad review can do.Brought it to be fixed by a local place who knew what they were doing, they gave me a written guarantee covering the work and I haven’t had a problem since (7 years later). It’s not nice having to play hardball but genuinely we felt properly ripped off. Well-made jewellery shouldn’t break, neglect doesn’t come into it at all. Best of luck with it!

Advertisement