Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon deliveries being dumped in garden

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

massy086 wrote: »
    If you haven't signed for it you haven't received it....hmmmm just saying.
    i have seen one where the person w as not asked to sign but on looking up the site found their signature had been faked. they also claimed to the seller that they had attempted deliovery the previous day when they had not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I'm more and more using local stores (unless massive price difference)
    Well said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Well said!

Said by a guy that shops in B&M? When did they have a presence here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

my3cents wrote: »
    Said by a guy that shops in B&M? When did they have a presence here?

Bricks & Mortar? ?

Bricks & Mortar? ?

Indeed

• Advertisement

Indeed

Why would the service levels have improved in B&M stores if you weren't referring to B&M stores.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Why would the service levels have improved in B&M stores if you weren't referring to B&M stores.

He's in exile.......indeed!

Bricks And Mortar

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

For sure B&M stores in the UK are places of good value.

However we are conflating two unrelated issues here.
    It should not matter to the courier company what you bought or where their job is to deliver the parcel safely to the addressee.
    If they can't do that their business model needs to be re-evaluated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Amazon Prime is not a service which should be for sale in Ireland. It is completely GB focused.

Errr no its not.
    Prime delivery to Ireland is standard and priority at no extra cost, prime video content is available in Ireland, prime kindle content is available, exclusive prime items are available to Irish customers and prime cloud storage works too.

To claim its completely GB focused means you don't know what you are talking about.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    To claim its completely GB focused means you don't know what you are talking about.
    Emmm it is completely GB focused the seaníní and west britons of this Irish nation may take the leavings of John Bull but they only get the leavings.

Anyway if you don't shop local you deserve anything you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Emmm it is completely GB focused the seaníní and west britons of this Irish nation may take the leavings of John Bull but they only get the leavings.

While I agree with you that shop local is good for the local economy online shopping should not be punished by loss of goods paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This discussion is completely irrelevant to the topic

elperello wrote: »
    While I agree with you that shop local is good for the local economy online shopping should not be punished by loss of goods paid for.
    It has to be punished in some way.
    Amazon should be paying the true economic cost of the goods they sell; including the opportunity cost of jobs lost in Ireland and he cost of delivery to An Post (which is subsidised by the Irish state).
    Postmen should simply appropriate all online shopping.

L1011 wrote: »
    This discussion is completely irrelevant to the topic
    On the contrary it is important to remind Bezos Bozos that they should keep their problems to themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It has to be punished in some way.
    Amazon should be paying the true economic cost of the goods they sell; including the opportunity cost of jobs lost in Ireland and he cost of delivery to An Post (which is subsidised by the Irish state).
    Postmen should simply appropriate all online shopping.

As soon as you start paying the true economic cost of the tea and coffee you consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the contrary it is important to remind Bezos Bozos that they should keep their problems to themselves!

No, it's completely irrelevant. Do not post on this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

If I bought off a local online retailer would it be OK for it to be dumped in my garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Another one dumped in the garden today, this time from the fine people at smartbuyglasses.ie via DPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Vic_08

You can moan all you like about this but it is not going to change.

Parcel deliveries are all about cheap, the drivers are under huge pressure to do quick first-time drops or face not making any money for their day's work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Vic_08 wrote: »

Parcel deliveries are all about cheap, the drivers are under huge pressure to do quick first-time drops or face not making any money for their day's work.
    Yes, it will change but the most likely change is that people will eventually have to buy a post box which is big enough for parcels. An Post already sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Vic_08 wrote: »

If you bid for a contract , you cant then decide that you wont fulfil the terms of that contract because you didnt cost it right.

The contract is to deliver to the end user, not thow it over the garden wall and hope that it doesnt get damaged.

If you dont complain then it will never be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Shelflife wrote: »
    If you bid for a contract , you cant then decide that you wont fulfil the terms of that contract because you didnt cost it right.

The contract is to deliver to the end user, not thow it over the garden wall and hope that it doesnt get damaged.

Then pay the true price for delivery. If you are paying less than €20 for a package to be courier delivered then the last person to handle it is getting less than minimum wage for the job, so pay peanuts and you get the monkey service.

The thing is that people will complain about the bad deliveries but won't pay to give the drivers a decent wage, so the companies continue to work on their profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Shelflife wrote: »

Companies bid for contracts and the lowest bidder wins. They then put the drivers, usually "self employed" under unfeasible timetables and horrible penalties such as no pay for returned parcels.

The drivers are then in a position where they will be not only poorly paid but are in serious risk of not even covering their costs if they do not "deliver" everything at the first attempt.

There is plenty of blame for this situation, the likes of Amazon are the biggest culprits, they are driving this race to the bottom both with contractors and their even worse policies in countries where they organise deliveries directly. Also to blame are customers expecting free delivery who give no consideration to them actually being at the delivery address when the parcel is due to be delivered. People look for the absolute cheapest price for goods and delivery but then expect a gold standard customer service with deliveries tailored to their whims.

The guy delivering your parcel is likely to be getting less than a euro for the delivery of your parcel with no extra payment for returning to your gaff 3 times because you weren't in the first 2 times, how much extra effort would you give for a quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

An Post delivery drivers who deliver the majority of my packages from amazon are not under such contracts. To be fair its very rare my package is miss handled and when it has been it's always been sorted with a quick phone call to the local depo. I usually include my phone number with the address so delivery drivers can give me a buzz if need be and they have once or twice before.

killanena wrote: »
    An Post delivery drivers who deliver the majority of my packages from amazon are not under such contracts. To be fair its very rare my package is miss handled and when it has been it's always been sorted with a quick phone call to the local depo. I usually include my phone number with the address so delivery drivers can give me a buzz if need be and they have once or twice before.

Its actually the whole reason I pay for Prime most deliveries are with An Post and occasionally DPD. No more deliveries from the parcel loosers iParcel and their henchmen the parcel dumpers Fastway:D. Plus you don't have to wait for days to pick your item ready for dispatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Cant understand why someone hasn't invented a metal box with a code lock. Drill it to the wall. A one time pin code unlocks it for the delivery or you unlock it remotely with your phone when the driver arrives. Then you reopen it when you get home. A scanner could be used as proof of delivery for signature items.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

irishgeo wrote: »
    Cant understand why someone hasn't invented a metal box with a code lock. Drill it to the wall. A one time pin code unlocks it for the delivery or you unlock it remotely with your phone when the driver arrives. Then you reopen it when you get home. A scanner could be used as proof of delivery for signature items.

That would require every carrier and sites like ebay, amazon etc to have the ability to provide a code and instructions to them.

Not every carrier has this and even if they did the box would have to be massive to fit the most common sized parcels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Cabaal wrote: »
    irishgeo wrote: »

That would require every carrier and sites like ebay, amazon etc to have the ability to provide a code and instructions to them.

Not every carrier has this and even if they did the box would have to be massive to fit the most common sized parcels.
    You just give the driver the code over the phone. A large parcel motel size box should fit most things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

When I order with their mobile app I have the option for when not at home, to pickup at couriers, to leave with neighbour, or to leave outside somewhere with a section to tell then where. I then get a notification with a picture of where they left it.

Advertisement