Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon deliveries being dumped in garden

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

jester77 wrote: »
    When I order with their mobile app I have the option for when not at home, to pickup at couriers, to leave with neighbour, or to leave outside somewhere with a section to tell then where. I then get a notification with a picture of where they left it.

Who's mobile app is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

When I order with their mobile app I have the option for when not at home, to pickup at couriers, to leave with neighbour, or to leave outside somewhere with a section to tell then where. I then get a notification with a picture of where they left it.
    Not very safe though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

McGaggs wrote: »
    Who's mobile app is this?

The amazon shopping app, they send a notification through the app confirming delivery with a photo from the delivery driver of where he placed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The amazon shopping app, they send a notification through the app confirming delivery with a photo from the delivery driver of where he placed it

Sounds interesting. I can't see our postman taking a photo of every parcel he delivers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sounds interesting. I can't see our postman taking a photo of every parcel he delivers though.

Isn't that a UK only option when delivered by Amazons own drivers?

• Advertisement

not much good, if its pissing rain like today.

surprised amazon havent launched their lockers here or done a deal with anpost for collection in the post offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Del2005 wrote: »
    Then pay the true price for delivery. If you are paying less than €20 for a package to be courier delivered then the last person to handle it is getting less than minimum wage for the job, so pay peanuts and you get the monkey service.

The thing is that people will complain about the bad deliveries but won't pay to give the drivers a decent wage, so the companies continue to work on their profits.
    Vic_08 wrote: »
    Companies bid for contracts and the lowest bidder wins. They then put the drivers, usually "self employed" under unfeasible timetables and horrible penalties such as no pay for returned parcels.

The drivers are then in a position where they will be not only poorly paid but are in serious risk of not even covering their costs if they do not "deliver" everything at the first attempt.

There is plenty of blame for this situation, the likes of Amazon are the biggest culprits, they are driving this race to the bottom both with contractors and their even worse policies in countries where they organise deliveries directly. Also to blame are customers expecting free delivery who give no consideration to them actually being at the delivery address when the parcel is due to be delivered. People look for the absolute cheapest price for goods and delivery but then expect a gold standard customer service with deliveries tailored to their whims.

The guy delivering your parcel is likely to be getting less than a euro for the delivery of your parcel with no extra payment for returning to your gaff 3 times because you weren't in the first 2 times, how much extra effort would you give for a quid?

That’s the point I’m making, they tender for a contract at an uneconomical price, then they can’t deliver on their promises . They should tender properly and give the service that’s required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Shelflife wrote: »
    That’s the point I’m making, they tender for a contract at an uneconomical price, then they can’t deliver on their promises . They should tender properly and give the service that’s required.

Then they'll be beaten by the next outfit willing to undercut based on paying poverty rates or conning people into working as "independent contractors".

There will always be idiots, fantasists and nasty pr!cks willing to make a quick buck off of running a bad business who are going to put in bargain basement tenders for these sort of contracts.

It is the people putting out the tenders, particularly Amazon that are at fault, they are well aware how much it should cost but happily give contracts to low-balling cowboys knowing that the only way these contracts can be provides is by cutting drivers wages and customer service.

Amazon are well aware of all the underhand tactics in the industry because they are at it as well in the UK and many other countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-37708996

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

Interesting article.

Awful how large companies seek every which way to increase profits at the detriment of their staff on the front line.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Shelflife wrote: »

So how much are you willing to pay for your delivery then? Because if they priced delivery so that the driver can earn a decent wage then they cannot complete with a bricks and mortar shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I have no problem going to a depot to pick up a parcel, whatever. I do have a massive problem with the argument I am no doubt going to have with a supplier some day, i.e. my parcel has been robbed and the courier company is saying I signed for it....

BTW, DPD were the most recent culprits and I was home. And yes I would have heard the bell....

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

To be fair, Amazon are employing them. Is it not up to them to ensure they employ a decent courier service?

Nope
    The sellers on Amazon employes them
    When I buy from thirth parties on amazon , nine out of ten cowboys deliver
    When I ordere from amazon itself is almost always delivered by an post and sometimes by Dpd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

'An Post attempted a delivery to you today but didn't want to leave it unattended' - rubbish - two of us here working in the front of the house all morning - no An Post van appeared anywhere near us. An Post's phone tracking device says it was attempted delivery at 12.13. The Amazon tracking device says attempted delivery at 11.16. No paper notification left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Had quite the roller coaster with An Post the last couple of weeks with a package.

Ordered a memory card. Postman arrives at door, I'm not home but use a Ring Doorbell to tell him it's fine to leave in porch. Needs a signature but offers to sign it and drop it. Grand. He goes back to his bike and gets a package, leaves it in porch. Turns out its the wrong package, it's for my wife. So correct house, but the memory card is now marked as delivered on tracking.

Got nowhere with customer service so amazon being customer centric just sent another one.

Then yesterday the original package tracking starts up again. Tried to deliver but address incomplete. Called An Post, they manage to call the driver and give them complete address. Great, it will be delivered in next hour. 2 hours later I see An Post van driving out of the estate, package tracking is showing delivered. So it went to wrong house, but theres over 100 houses in the estate so can't just start knocking on doors.

This morning, the replacement one from amazon arrived, no signature needed. No idea where the first one is.

Was waiting on something from sports direct via fastway. App said delivery on a Wednesday. Working nights but i get up and no one rang. I check the app. Delivered to a safe place. Hmm. So off hunting i go. I check the bin which i haven't put back in the yard and then i see it lobbed over the back gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The postal/courier industry is like the wild west at the moment. The privatisation of state monopolies is seemingly a race to the bottom with regards to customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I ordered ink cartridge on Thursday at 15:25 from a Dublin company, it asked on the order form "An Post or Fastway". Of course I clicked An Post . At 19:31, I received a text stating "it is in An Post National Hub" & I received it on Friday at 11am. Great service. Always go with An Post if you have the option. I think with Fastway it depend on the driver servicing your area.

Advertisement