Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions - Living near Hanlon's Corner (NCR)

Options
  • 12-01-2019 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭

Was just wondering if anyone has lived near Hanlon's Corner on the North Circular and if you have any opinions on the area. Seems pretty close to lots of amenities, nice and central, prices haven't gone too crazy there yet.

Downsides I'm wondering are traffic, and is there any issues with anti-social behaviour at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Was just wondering if anyone has lived near Hanlon's Corner on the North Circular and if you have any opinions on the area. Seems pretty close to lots of amenities, nice and central, prices haven't gone too crazy there yet.

Downsides I'm wondering are traffic, and is there any issues with anti-social behaviour at all?

Loads. I think there are a few dry/wet hostels nearby. There are a lot of addicts/alcoholics around especially in the mornings. The council estate on the corner there is dodgy with a lot of bad activity. Not sure what the story is with O'Deveney nearby.

Could be a nice area though, considering its location. This is just my impression of the place. Maybe I'm a little wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭recipesforme

Hi,

I've been living near Hanlon's corner for the past 18 months and honestly I haven't had a moment's grief. I live opposite the Drumalee estate and I walk past it everyday and have returned from town late at night and have had no hassle.
    My flatmate did have an egg thrown at him once, but then again, I've had an egg thrown at me in Ranelagh so I don't think it's location specific!
    The location is fantastic IMO. You're right next to Stoneybatter, a short walk to Phibsboro and the luas, loads of bus routes on your door step and 10 minutes to the Phoenix Park. I love it here and I certainly won't be giving up my spot here any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

My ex rented there but this was over decade ago. Great location wise. I'd recommend not parking on the street if you have a car though. Both our cars were vandalised/nearly robbed on different occasions. Then again, things may have changed in a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've only been there a few times, mostly during the day and I've not had any problems.

That said, there is evidence of low level stuff like dumping, graffiti, etc.

Grangegorman is expected to be taking real numbers of students from September this year, so this will create a shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

you are very well situated for public transport - 46a and the 39 corridor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thanks all for the responses. I was fairly aware of the good points/location so thanks for the views from people who lived there. I was a bit wary of the council estate, a friend had his car vandalised by the youths living there, he lived in Grangegorman. The place we're looking at doesn't have off-street parking so have no choice there. I think the benefits of the location probably outweigh the concerns I'd have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I used to live on Grangegorman road lower for 18 months, so not too far away. I loved it and the proximity to Smithfield and Stoneybatter is great. Like others who have posted, both my housemates had their cars vandalised at separate points while I was living there so certainly I'd try and get somewhere that you don't need to park on the street but otherwise I think it'd be a good place to live. I believe the nearby shopping centre on Prussia st is due to be demolished to build student residences with the Tesco remaining and gaining a big upgrade. No idea what the current status of that project it but personally I wouldn't view it as a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Have lived here about 30 years. It has gentrified a lot lately but some outstanding issues: you'll get the odd group of scummer kids hanging out at the wall where drumalee estate is but mostly they just scream at each other and that's it. Although gentrification has taken hold some of the old houses on the north circular are still used to house roma and africans who are generally harmless the worst you get from them is the illegal dumping and begging. Your car is very safe I would say. There's good footfall in the area even late at night so it's pretty safe. I'd say may be even safer than city centre where people get assaulted randomly with no motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

cgcsb wrote: »
    Have lived here about 30 years. It has gentrified a lot lately but some outstanding issues: you'll get the odd group of scummer kids hanging out at the wall where drumalee estate is but mostly they just scream at each other and that's it. Although gentrification has taken hold some of the old houses on the north circular are still used to house roma and africans who are generally harmless the worst you get from them is the illegal dumping and begging. Your car is very safe I would say. There's good footfall in the area even late at night so it's pretty safe. I'd say may be even safer than city centre where people get assaulted randomly with no motive.

Thanks, very useful.

The responses from people who live there seem very positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

grimm2005 wrote: »
    I believe the nearby shopping centre on Prussia st is due to be demolished to build student residences with the Tesco remaining and gaining a big upgrade. No idea what the current status of that project it but personally I wouldn't view it as a negative.

Badly needed I would say. When I lived in the area years back that Tesco must have been one of the worst in Ireland. Fility shop floor and little to no stock in the evenings was my abiding memory of it. The one in Phibsboro isnt much better either. I'd say the opening of Lidl at Hanlons Corner has been a huge improvement towards shopping in the D7 area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I lived there for a few months last year. Had absolutely no issues with anti-social behaviour. Felt safe walking there alone even at night. Excellent public transport, plenty of buses and nearest LUAS is 10 minute walk away. Loads of takeaways etc.

As mentioned above, there are quite a few addiction recovery houses in the area (I was living in one myself at the time) but in my experience they're well-staffed, residents are screened before being offered a place, and anti-social behaviour would absolutely not be accepted, and of course there are curfews and drug-screening etc in place ... so I wouldn't let that put you off, to be honest.

Advertisement