Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my aquarium please

• 12-01-2019 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have a 170 liter tank with a eheim filter the fish keep getting sick white spot mouth rot and now fungus infection been told ammonia is to high that why they sick is there a better filter I could get?
    I'm treating the tap water and now adding ammonia remover I do a 30% water change every 4 days
    Do I have to many fish in tank
    I have
    1 koi
    2 loaches
    5 goldfish
    1 paradise fish
    And 15 minnow
    Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Busymumto5 wrote: »
    I have a 170 liter tank with a eheim filter the fish keep getting sick white spot mouth rot and now fungus infection been told ammonia is to high that why they sick is there a better filter I could get?
    I'm treating the tap water and now adding ammonia remover I do a 30% water change every 4 days
    Do I have to many fish in tank
    I have
    1 koi
    2 loaches
    5 goldfish
    1 paradise fish
    And 15 minnow
    Any help would be appreciated
    Is 4 days not to much? You might be getting rid of the hood bacteria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

With that bioload the bacteria in the filter is probably having a hard time converting all of the ammonia. If you add more filtration it should increase the bacteria load but I reckon no matter what you do you'll run into issues with that many fish. Imho if you rehome the koi and 3 of the goldies you should be OK and have an easy to manage tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Alkers

Your filter is probably fine but your tank is too heavily stocked. Did you cycle the tank before adding fish?
    Koi are pond fish and not suited to a tank and goldfish are quite messy fish, I think they should have about 50l per fish.
    You should look at rehoming some of the fish as suggested above and get a water testing kit so you can monitor your parameters.
    I would also consider 30% water change every four days too be a lot of water changes unless the tank is still cycling.

What temperature are you keeping the water at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Busymumto5

ted1 wrote: »
    Is 4 days not to much? You might be getting rid of the hood bacteria

That is what the pet shop recommended

• Advertisement

Busymumto5 wrote:

The majority of pet shops can't be trusted in relation to fish...
    How long have you had the tank?
    Did you add fish straight away or cycle the tank first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is it a new tank? That’s a lot of fish to add at once , you’ll get nitrogen and ammonium spikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Your tank is only big enough for two goldfish with no other fish. Take the fish back to whatever shop sold you them for that size of a tank. It's total cruelty to keep that amount of fish in that size of tank. They will die if you don't take them back. We really need some form of cruelty laws for fish. They are the second most abused type of pet on the planet (after rabbits).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Busymumto5 wrote: »

Would take the advice of most pet shops with a pinch of salt. You probably know more than them.
    Your tank is only big enough for two goldfish with no other fish.

Can you house two in a 170L? Would have thought that one would be the max?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I always thought it was 100l for one and an additional 50l per fish after that? Ive never kept cold water fish though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I always thought it was 100l for one and an additional 50l per fish after that? Ive never kept cold water fish though.

Not for goldfish. They are messy as hell; the slobs of the fish world. A poster on this forum kept one in a 180L, iirc and that was a tight squeeze. He or she posted a picture of the tank on the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

That's a lot of fish in a pretty small tank.

Ammonia readings should be at zero. If they are not then either the tank is not cycled or the filter cannot cope with the bio-load.

As other posters have already suggested, consider giving some of those fish away.

Also, I routinely put two filters on each of my tanks. That way, if one breaks down then you don't have a crisis with lots of dead fish. Also, by providing double the recommended amount of filtration I know that the filters can cope with the load.

Advertisement