Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway Alert Google Home

Options
  • 12-01-2019 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

I have a few Google Homes, Philips Hue and a Nest. Im looking to have a some sort of Sensor on my driveway so then its triggered I get an alert. I had a look around and dont see anything that does what I want.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I have a few Google Homes, Philips Hue and a Nest. Im looking to have a some sort of Sensor on my driveway so then its triggered I get an alert. I had a look around and dont see anything that does what I want.

Any ideas?

Does your door overlook the drive? I get this motion detection functionality from a Ring doorbell. I even have it flicker my sitting room lights using IFTTT. Once you have this trigger it's very easy do something with it or broadcast using IFTTT or Stringify

Nest may offer the same in their video doorbell, it's worth investigating since you're already invested in their eco system

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

I assume the new announced Hue outdoor motion sensor could turn on a light etc... and possible do something with IFTTT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

eusap wrote: »
    I assume the new announced Hue outdoor motion sensor could turn on a light etc... and possible do something with IFTTT

Right now Hue is only an action in IFTTT, it isnt a trigger so you can't use the motion sensor as a trigger for something else. Not sure about stringify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Right now Hue is only an action in IFTTT, it isnt a trigger so you can't use the motion sensor as a trigger for something else. Not sure about stringify.

There's also Home Assistant, but it has a massive learning curve. Home assistant is a blank canvas for home automation. I have an automation in Home Assistant that sends me a notification if my Hue motion sensor in my hall senses movement when none of us are at home

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Like the look of the Hue outdoor sensor.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Need to look at Home Assistant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You could use a SmartThings hub, with any motion sensor, which then could trigger alerts in various ways: flash hue lights, chime sound on a speaker, send you a phone notification, etc.

Advertisement