Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish couple in Albuferia kidnapped at gunpoint and robbed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ah those Roma, they’re wee scallywags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It was unpleasant for them personally but it's totally unremarkable as a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Think the point of the call was that the insurance company refused to assist them.

Woke Hogan wrote: »

A delayed flight is unpleasant. This seems slightly more traumatic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

What was carrying them there. They should have gone to Galway or Kerry for their holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

What was carrying them there. They should have gone to Galway or Kerry for their holiday.

Yeah and freeze to death. And instead of being robbed by Roma you get robbed by hoteliers and publicans in Ireland.

I have been on 'the strip' in Albufeira a few times. It doesn't strike you as the kind of place you would get kidnapped from, which makes this case a bit more unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

A very strange story!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

A delayed flight is unpleasant. This seems slightly more traumatic
    Traumatic for them, then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Unremarkable as a story that a couple would be kidnapped from a busy holiday resort? I find it shocking.

They were very 'lucky' to get away so lightly. If they'd been in South Africa they wouldn't have made it back alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Irish couple kidnapped at gunpoint in well known and generally safe tourist area of an EU country, gun pointed at male whilst female threatened with been sold to the sex slave industry. Ya just a normal story and day huh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Ah those Roma, they’re wee scallywags!

To be fair they make decent pasta for the price they charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Irish couple kidnapped at gunpoint in well known and generally safe tourist area of an EU country, gun pointed at male whilst female threatened with been sold to the sex slave industry. Ya just a normal story and day huh!!

Well, freak crimes can happen anywhere. Jastine Valdez in our own country in broad daylight last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It's very strange as Portugal (esp Algarve) has always been seen as one of the safest countries/areas in Europe.
    Not only robbed, but they had their hotel room ransacked also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

All seems unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

All seems unbelievable
    "credit and debit cards stolen as well as at least one mobile phone." :rolleyes:
    You would know how many mobile phones were stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Going by social media, virtually nobody seems to believe their story and think it's Walter Mitty attention grabbing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Strazdas wrote: »
    Going by social media, virtually nobody seems to believe their story and think it's Walter Mitty attention grabbing stuff.

Well seems they were taken one way or another and most likely by roma who do no justice when it comes to these towns to ruin reputation, only thing noticed that in entire town you'd rarely see any cops pass by, say if comparing to Spain's tourist places, at all during summer there, but that said its no different from any other tourist place elsewhere, as far as safety goes if you keep to yourself and dont draw attention its hassle free.

Strip is prob smallest one ive seen as its no more then 5 minutes to walk past and really crap, for any entertainment unless you want to lose hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

Normally I would be very cynical of the story it sounds so far fetched, but the fact that the Talk to Joe team actually spoke to the Portuguese police lends credence to their kidnapping story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

Having the room robbed on top of it too. Definitely into go fund me territory there.

scamalert wrote: »
    Well seems they were taken one way or another and most likely by roma who do no justice when it comes to these towns to ruin reputation, only thing noticed that in entire town you'd rarely see any cops pass by, say if comparing to Spain's tourist places, at all during summer there, but that said its no different from any other tourist place elsewhere, as far as safety goes if you keep to yourself and dont draw attention its hassle free.

Strip is prob smallest one ive seen as its no more then 5 minutes to walk past and really crap, for any entertainment unless you want to lose hearing.

Any time I was there, I saw several well armed cops that you wouldn't look crooked at.

Granted it was summer time though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

no i disagree entirely.
    Portugal is a fairly safe spot on the whole, but Albufeira does have a problem with this type of carry-on. Immediately after this guy another Irish guy was on Joe. He had been koshed over the head and robbed. The police who "discovered" him said he was lucky to be alive.

I know of several people who were robbed at gun-point there. In the case of one British couple the husband was shot and the bullet lodged just mms from his spinal column.

The perpetrators used to be Brazilian gangs, but from what I can make out the local Roma gangs are getting in on the act of late. Of course the Portuguese authorities are quick to play it down, as it's bad for business, but they are "fully aware" of the problems.

Personally i would continue to visit Portugal, but i would be extremely wary of Albufeira.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The hotel room being robbed on their last and only night they went out again is where this story jumps the shark

VinLieger wrote: »
    The hotel room being robbed on their last and only night they went out again is where this story jumps the shark

well from what i could make out, they felt they were being followed and watched.
    if that was the case, then it would not be so unbelievable imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

#gofundMETOO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

As mentioned going by various posts on news sites ... people who know this couple personally have claimed its more than likely fabricated or majority of it made up... the Irish mirror have the story on Facebook and the comments under the story make interesting reading...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭Spannerplank

Give it a rest. Irishman (from safe eu country) attending a football match in another safe eu country assaulted by two guys from another safe eu country and left in a coma.

Sold I to sex slavery. The me a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Give it a rest. Irishman (from safe eu country) attending a football match in another safe eu country assaulted by two guys from another safe eu country and left in a coma.

Sold I to sex slavery. The me a break

That was a nice ranty post from you wasnt it!
    I was responding to a poster who said it was an unremarkable story. I presume you are referring to Sean Cox, if so are saying that what happended there was also unremarkable!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Emergency flights home wanted yet he says later he had 3 bank cards stolen from the hotel on the last night after the initial card was stolen in the kidnapping, could he not have just bought his own flights home and then made a claim later if he was feeling so under threat? Most people I know with 4 bank cards would be able to fund flights home on them. He also mentions initially that €300 in cash was taken and €200 from the bank card from the initial theft by gypsies. Later he says a total of €1200 is gone in total after the room robbery so that would mean they had €700 left from the initial incident, plenty to fund home 'emergency flights'. Looking on Ryanair today, there's no Faro flight back to Dublin that is more than €55 from tomorrow until Saturday. Has he never heard of using the safe in a hotel room?

Whole tale sounded to me like a couple who went away, blew all their budget and wanted their parking in Dublin Airport covered.

Emergency flights home wanted yet he says later he had 3 bank cards stolen from the hotel on the last night after the initial card was stolen in the kidnapping, could he not have just bought his own flights home and then made a claim later if he was feeling so under threat? Most people I know with 4 bank cards would be able to fund flights home on them. He also mentions initially that €300 in cash was taken and €200 from the bank card from the initial theft by gypsies. Later he says a total of €1200 is gone in total after the room robbery so that would mean they had €700 left from the initial incident, plenty to fund home 'emergency flights'. Looking on Ryanair today, there's no Faro flight back to Dublin that is more than €55 from tomorrow until Saturday. Has he never heard of using the safe in a hotel room?

Whole tale sounded to me like a couple who went away, blew all their budget and wanted their parking in Dublin Airport covered.

If I was a cynic I'd say they were trying to turn over the insurance company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Of all the make believe stories on the web, this one didn't happen most of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wonder what their motivation is though. Why go to the trouble of filing a police report?

Maybe it's a half-truth, they got robbed while trying to do something dodgy, but filed a report saying they'd been mugged by gypsies.

Then finding themselves short on cash, decided to try and make some bank from the insurance company

maybe they never were in Portugal, and invented the whole drama in order to get on Joe.
    people nowadays crave their 2 minutes of fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

maybe they never were in Portugal, and invented the whole drama in order to get on Joe.

And RTE is in on the act by allegedly contacting the Portuguese cops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This didn’t happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought reading this story it doesn't make sense.....reading the Facebook story on Irish mirror is great craic, this guy seems like a total scumbag who has been done for assault and regularly rips people off, hopefully the police come down on them like a tonne of bricks for this BS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

It's like they threw everything plus the kitchen sick at the story in order to make it believable with the opposite result.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Terrible ordeal for them. Hope they find the scumbags who carried this out

Do you genuinely think any of this happened?....Read the comments on the story on the Irish mirror Facebook..
    https://www.facebook.com/191236384249467/posts/2330954113611006/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When I first read the article, I genuinely thought it was too far-fetched and frankly unbelievable. I frequently stay on the Algarve, and have never had anything but positive experiences. But then again, we've never stayed in Albufeira. Who knows? My scepticism level is still high though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

dudara wrote: »
    When I first read the article, I genuinely thought it was too far-fetched and frankly unbelievable. I frequently stay on the Algarve, and have never had anything but positive experiences. But then again, we've never stayed in Albufeira. Who knows? My scepticism level is still high though.

The Algarve has form for some similar incidents involving armed robbery etc

https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ShowTopic-g189112-i331-k4797003-o110-Irish_tourists_robbed_at_gunpoint_in_their_villa-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve.html

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/albufeira-robbery-suspects-caught/7763

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Do you genuinely think any of this happened?....Read the comments on the story on the Irish mirror Facebook..
    https://www.facebook.com/191236384249467/posts/2330954113611006/

If, this didn't happen and this bloke is Walter Mitty, why did the Portuguese police confirm to RTE that an incident occured and they were investigating?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    If, this didn't happen and this bloke is Walter Mitty, why did the Portuguese police confirm to RTE that an incident occured and they were investigating?
    They didn't confirm an incident occurred.
    All I can see is below from them... The rest is all from the alleged victims.

Portuguese police are taking the incident “very seriously” and have two teams working on the investigation, RTE reported.

gmisk wrote: »
    They didn't confirm an incident occurred.
    All I can see is below from them... The rest is all from the alleged victims.

Portuguese police are taking the incident “very seriously” and have two teams working on the investigation, RTE reported.

Listened to Duffy on Friday and cctv footage was mentioned also. Just find this so unbelievably bizarre that someone would put forward a fairytale for no apparent reason.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Listened to Duffy on Friday and cctv footage was mentioned also. Just find this so unbelievably bizarre that someone would put forward a fairytale for no apparent reason.
    The guy seems to be a scam artist tbh... Also done for assault.
    It all seemed a bit random and far fetched for a reason..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Mrsmum wrote: »
    It's like they threw everything plus the kitchen sick at the story in order to make it believable with the opposite result.

That's what struck me. Definitely a case of over egging it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They'll be easily enough tracked I imagine.

Derry isn't all that big, and sure his and her photos all over Facebook. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Indeed..I hear lahinch is nice:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I've been to the Algarve three times, and nothing bad ever happened to me there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

Personally, if I was kidnapped at gunpoint with two threats (being shot and sold as a sex slave), I wouldn’t be overly enthusiastic about going out on the last night just to try and enjoy it.

He also said he gave his fiancée a bank card knowing there wasn’t any money in the account. That put her in a vulnerable position.... no?

Then when the card wouldn’t work, he was allowed to get out and help her and that is when they escaped. However when adding up how much they lost, he said €300 cash he had and €200 from the bank. How did they get the money from the bank??

Then they got robbed the second night. He said he got back to the apartment to find they had been robbed and woke up to find mobile phones etc missing. Did it happen while they were out or when they were asleep?

Thought he got a bit quiet at the end of the interview when Joe did a shoutout for anybody else that is in the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

There was a few tourists done by the cops in brazil for making up robberies iirc. Looking for a quick payout from the insurance industry to keep the good times going!

• Advertisement
Advertisement