Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oval chainrings?

Options
  • 12-01-2019 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Whats your opinion if any on these? Do you think they work, and improve efficiency or power delivery?

Froome said they wont work for everyone but certainly work for him and I think he and Sky know what they are doing.

Also has anyone read any good scientific analysis?

I am thinking about giving them a go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

WMP wrote: »
    I am thinking about giving them a go.

Are you thinking of both rings or just one? I'm contemplating trying one on the smaller ring for climbing, not sure whether to try both though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

I bought a small 34t Absolute Black about 2 and a half years ago, liked it so much that all my bikes are fully fitted out with them by now that's 3 full sets.

I can't give any scientific data to justify this all I know is they suit me, I used to get occasional cramps in my legs, that's gone, legs feel fresher after a big ride, that's all I can tell you.

I did read somewhere that grinders were more likely to benefit than folk with a lovely fluid high cadence pedaling style, I'm the former, self selected cadence is often closer to 70 than 80.

OP if you are close to Kildare you're welcome to have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

Triggermortis, I am thinking of just changing the small ring for climbing. I didnt think of that first until I looked at some videos on the Absolueblack website. Seems like the ideal way to try it.

Nilhg, very interesting to hear that you've tried and like them. So have you just changed your small chain ring and kept the larger one round? Thanks very much for the trial spin offer but Kildare is not just a spin down the road for me,

I just bought a 42T Absoluteblack oval ring for my commuting bike (crossbike with 1X SRAM) and will try it out asap. If I like it I'll change the small ring on my road bike also.

Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had a Biopace on my fixed gear for ages and found, whether real or imagined, that it was great for climbing in the hills of Wicklow. I presume which way the oval orientates to the pedals makes a huge difference, so not sure if that is useful to you or not. I was climbing most hills in Wicklow on a 50/16 (although rumours are that it was 50/14 and 52/14 for awhile, alas untrue).

CramCycle wrote: »
    I had a Biopace on my fixed gear for ages and found, whether real or imagined, that it was great for climbing in the hills of Wicklow. I presume which way the oval orientates to the pedals makes a huge difference, so not sure if that is useful to you or not. I was climbing most hills in Wicklow on a 50/16 (although rumours are that it was 50/14 and 52/14 for awhile, alas untrue).

Looking forward to trying it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've a sub compact set of Doval rings on the way to me from South Korea. 30, 46 setup on a 6800 crankset. Will let you know how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Had a 105 biopace (posh oval) 0n a bike back in 1990, bit of a fad that died, should have rebranded it Lazarus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I tried a set of the rotor ones 52-36 and really liked them, same as yourself I tried the small ring first. For any hilly or gravel excursions I have a set of absolute black 46-30 and they are excellent.

There is some adjustment on the rotor ones but with the absolute black you cant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

Emma @ GCN talks about using oval rings on her VAM challege video, around 3m 45s mark. Something about 'optimal chain ring position analysis' using some software and a long ride.

https://youtu.be/UQmuQEB38Tg

Overall a good video too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I used doval chainrings for a couple of years, only stopped because I went from a compact to a standard chain set. Feck all point in a compact when you live in the Netherlands. I’m not sure about power etc., but they were fantastic for my knees.

They put a little more emphasis on the hamstrings, which balances out how quad dominant cycling can be. I’m going to got osymmetric chainrings soon as I have some I got 2nd hand, I hope I like them as much.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Cheers all, great to hear about the positive experiences. I am looking forward to trying mine when it arrives and I'll let you know how I get on.

I did see Emma's video actually and it was another reason I decided to give them a go. You can adjust the Rotor rings according to your pedal stroke for maximum efficiency and power delivery. If it works I'm surprised more pro's are not using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

My Doval rings arrived today.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/46-50T-30T-BCD110-DOVAL-MicroGT-Chainring-for-4-arm-Shimano-Etc/123296546152?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=423697990252&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They are very slightly ovalised (I bought them for size not ovality), and easy to fit, despite the lack of instructions. Hopefully will try them out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Anyone has experience on how they feel when sprinting, out of saddle and high cadence (above, say 120rpm)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

nordicb wrote: »
    Anyone has experience on how they feel when sprinting, out of saddle and high cadence (above, say 120rpm)?

Out of the saddle feels completely normal, I wouldn't have done much sprinting or high cadence stuff but again, normal to me.

One thing to consider for anyone thinking of starting off with a small ring for climbing, the Absolute Black 34t 110BCD is only 6.5% ovalised (just not enough space for anymore when you have to fit bolts) all others are 11%.

One thing to consider for anyone thinking of starting off with a small ring for climbing, the Absolute Black 34t 110BCD is only 6.5% ovalised (just not enough space for anymore when you have to fit bolts) all others are 11%.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I didnt realise that and thats something to keep in mind. Maybe not worth just changing the small ring if you can only go half oval : )

I have bought and fitted one on my commuter so I'm going to try it out there first.

Hers is what it looks like. Planning to try it out this Saturday.

Advertisement