Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Percolation Test. What next? Options?

Options
  • 12-01-2019 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all and thanks in advance for your replies.

It looks like after preliminary percolation test, done this week, that our site will likely fail same.

The site is a rural site. c.4 acres.
    We are hoping to build a 1,800 sq ft bungalow on it.
    No houses nearby (well 1 across the road, about 200 meters away).
    My wife owns the site and is from the area, born and grew up there.

It is a 'damp' site i.e there are reeds/rushes growing on parts of it.

I wonder should we have got the test done at all i.e at this time of the year. I read somewhere that the only time to do a preliminary percolation on a heavy/boggy soil site is in September/\October as the water table is lowest then (found this out after the test).

Wpould the person who carried out the test have to inform the Co. Co. of the result? We are going to talk to him Monday.

So, if the site has fails the percolation test what are our options?
    Surely in the 21st century there must be options? (other than selling the site for agricultural purposes).

We really want to build there. Help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If it is that damp you may find that it is at risk of flooding (regardless of whether it has actually flooded in living memory) - this is one of the more recent 'main' reasons for a site failing at first post. You would really want to be fairly confident that the site is acceptable for other reasons - access, sight lines, zoning, visual amenity, will the 'local needs' claim actually work, before you go looking for more testing. I have an idea there may be solutions to a poor percolation result, you really need to talk to your engineer first.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭OL16

Hi and thanks for reply.

No flooding in memory on the site. It is boggy in areas during the winter months.

I wonder now should we have just waited until the Summer to do it!! Will talk to the tester on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

OL16 wrote: »
    Hi and thanks for reply.

No flooding in memory on the site. It is boggy in areas during the winter months.

I wonder now should we have just waited until the Summer to do it!! Will talk to the tester on Monday.

Surely the best time is when it is wet? Then you know for sure if the site is suitable or not.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It doesn't make a difference what time of year you get the test done. The highest point of the water table can be measured in summer when it's at its lowest anyway.

The biggest issue with wet ground is that the water table is simply too high. Anything within 600mm of the ground level will be difficult to resolve. The council will usually require a min of 1200 unsaturated soil between the invert of the pipes and the highest water table level.

Get the test done and talk to the assessor after the test is completely to see what the options are. Usually an assessor has to inform the council when they are doing the test, but if it's a complete failure you might be able to cancel the councils notice in time ie the sometimes come out after the test is carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭corco2000

Employ an independent engineer. This can be resolved. Although the inspector when they see reeds in field know how test will result even though on paper passes with flying colours.
    First thing could be simply large ditch dug above trial to move water away. Will drain field and area of hole well. Worked well for me. But expert and local advice a must.

• Advertisement
Advertisement