Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLLMXSHN-DECRYPT

Options
  • 12-01-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how to fix this or has anyone came across this problem before?

All my files on my external hard drive has it and I don't know how to fix it? I'm using windows 10. I don't know what went wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

do you have Encryption on your external hard drive?

are you getting a dialog box stating "PLLMXSHN-DECRYPT" when you try to open files or do the filenames have PLLMXSHN-DECRYPT on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

johndoe99 wrote: »
    do you have Encryption on your external hard drive?

are you getting a dialog box stating "PLLMXSHN-DECRYPT" when you try to open files or do the filenames have PLLMXSHN-DECRYPT on them?

I have Encryption files on my external hard drive. All most all of them have the filenames PLLMXSHN-DECRYPT. I don't know if I did something or it just went like that? For example I have loads of movies on there and there saying the extension .avi and then in small letters .PLLMXSHN-DECRYP (in small letters) and then the type of the file is PLLMXSHN file. I don't get an error

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

it would seem that either the external HD has some form of encryption software you can use. I know there's a type of McAfee Antivirus that can encrypt files on HDs too. You may have inadvertently installed or activated it.

Also Windows 10 Professional comes with Bitlocker.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Is your computer also affected? It sounds like the behaviour of a ransomware infection unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, my guess is ransomware too.

Fortunately a few of the recent outbreaks of that have simple flaws that mean you can decrypt without paying the scrotes. Find somebody with a bit of tech know how to investigate it further and LEAVE IT OFF until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Any other suggestions? I can't get rid of this file. I went to a couple of technicians and nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Format the hard drive and be grateful it's the external drive and not your C:/ drive, the only results PLLMXSHM gives on Google or DDG (minus the Pretty Little Liars stuff) are links to this thread so I wouldn't be hopeful it's too above board

I'd nuke the drive as well as any programs you've run/installed since this happened, if you're downloading movies or music or whatever they'd never have a .exe or .msi file as these are Windows programs, not movie or songs. Running the .exe or .msi is how you end up in situations like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Not flagging as one of the more common ransomwares on

https://www.nomoreransom.org/en/index.html

Advertisement