Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are our Catholic/Christian values being brushed aside?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I got as far as Charles Byrne and I stopped reading. He's a notorious fruitcake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Multi culturalism and its benefits, Discuss for 200.
    Bonus points for FGM, new diseases, polygamy, under age marriages and secular violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Fingers crossed. No place for religion in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

kenmc wrote: »

but are we not replacing one form of intolerance with another?

kenmc wrote: »

REally? Have you seen all mosques planned and Baptist churches in Industrial estates? Its not going to end well I am telling for one crowd or the other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Depends on what values you mean. The ones that are preached or the ones that are practiced?

You living your life how you want and staying out of mine and vice versa is not intolerance.

Intolerance is insisting we hold onto traditional values when it's clear a sizeable group in society don't share them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

As far as I'm aware, there are still shedloads of paedophile priests protected by the church in Ireland. Age old Catholic values are alive and well.

Course not, Communist only Killed 150 million I think. They made Hitler, Idi Amin and David Koresh look like girl guides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

eviltwin wrote: »
    You living your life how you want and staying out of mine and vice versa is not intolerance.

Intolerance is insisting we hold onto traditional values when it's clear a sizeable group in society don't share them.

yes but some folk insisting we all abandon religion as we strive for a new secular Ireland. that's just intolerance dressed up as liberalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is and always should be a personal choice. No one is hampering that.

Ever.

No need to validate anyone's choice in life unless there is a criminal aspect attached.

I really doubt anyone cares anymore TBH.

Coincidentally, I've been reading Nietzsche a lot these days and he's absolutely mindblowing in some of his insights, in particular about the consequences of loss of tradition (His famous 'God is dead' claim, for instance, was really about the usefulness of God being less in an industrial society):

Nietzsche on... The Age of Comparisons (Human, All Too Human, 1878)
    THE AGE OF COMPARISON. The less men are fettered by tradition, the greater becomes the inward activity of their motives; the greater, again, in proportion thereto, the outward restlessness, the confused flux of mankind, the polyphony of strivings. For whom is there still an absolute; compulsion to bind himself and his descendants to one place? For whom is there still anything strictly compulsory? As all styles of arts are imitated simultaneously, so also are all grades and kinds of morality, of customs, of cultures. Such an age obtains its importance because in it the various views of the world, customs, and cultures can be compared and experienced simultaneously, which was formerly not possible with the always localised sway of every culture, corresponding to the rooting of all artistic styles in place and time. An increased aesthetic feeling will now at last decide amongst so many forms presenting themselves for comparison; it will allow the greater number, that is to say all those rejected by it, to die out. In the same way a selection amongst the forms and customs of the higher moralities is taking place, of which the aim can be nothing else than the downfall of the lower moralities. It is the age of comparison! That is its pride, but more justly also its grief. Let us not be afraid of this grief! Rather will we comprehend as adequately as possible the task our age sets us: posterity will bless us for doing so, a posterity which knows itself to be as much above the terminated original national cultures as above the culture of comparison, but which looks back with gratitude on both kinds of culture as upon antiquities worthy of veneration.

yes but some folk insisting we all abandon religion as we strive for a new secular Ireland. that's just intolerance dressed up as liberalism.

There is no liberal movement to ban religion. You are confusing it with separation of church and state.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Yes and thank f*ck

There is no liberal movement to ban religion. You are confusing it with separation of church and state.

Actually the state want to take over the complete running of education both in Ireland and the UK. The Boards of Governers are to be changing owner ship from public property to Government property I read last year. I like the idea of locally run schools where you can pull up a local official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

i ask this question in light of a recent article i spotted.
    do you agree with the journalist's supposition, and do you care?

like many you may think it's a good thing and to be welcomed.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/christianity-is-being-eroded-and-despised-irelands-moral-minority-rise-up-37700374.html

Ireland's moral minority!!?

What the f&&k?

So the only moral people are those that believe in fairytales and take direction from lads in frocks?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Which Christian values exactly? Most of the useful ones were never strictly adhered to by the church or populace in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/christianity-is-being-eroded-and-despised-irelands-moral-minority-rise-up-37700374.html

It’s a rare occasion I’d agree with anything Simon Harris has to say, but on this occasion he’s bang on -

Simon Harris this week described social media posts claiming to identify the location where the first abortion was to take place under new laws as "despicable".

Harris argued that, in his view, the posts were effectively an attempt to "incite harassment of women".

As for the article itself? No, I don’t agree with it, and I hope that clown doesn’t go into politics, there are far too many of them in Irish politics as it is.

Whoever btw suggested calling the hospital Drogheda University Hospital ought to be taken out back and shot with balls of their own shìte - DUH?? :pac:

lawred2 wrote: »

So the only moral people are those that believe in fairytales and take direction from lads in frocks?

So you dont like them?
    Wait until you see the next lot coming in have to offer:
    Women are second rate citizens
    People who dont identify as the genders they are assigned
    FGM is the natural choice for women
    Age is no barrier to a relationship particularily if she is under 10.
    Dogs and pigs are banned for religious reasons.
    Can have a pint in the pub without being told its not Halal.
    ............. ah feck I am heading to eastern where I wont be reminded about my white privillege

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭Spannerplank

Bonus points for FGM, new diseases, polygamy, under age marriages and secular violence.

What's wrong with polygamy?

You've probably cheated on your wife of girlfriend or at least thought about it.

• Advertisement

Ahh now, it’s not true to say there’s no liberal movement to ban religion. There is. It’s just not a very large one, and it’s taken about as seriously as the equally small movement trying to ban Muslims from immigrating into the country. They share a common goal in the sense that they’re both two cheeks of the same arse - both groups trying to ban religion from Irish society - neither group taken all that seriously as they are the extremes of either side of the left/right political divide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

ah feck I am heading to eastern where I wont be reminded about my white privillege

Bet you don't.

"Are our Catholic/Christian values being brushed aside?"

You make the novice error of assuming you speak for other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So you dont like them?
    Women are second rate citizens
    People who dont identify as the genders they are assigned
    FGM is the natural choice for women
    Age is no barrier to a relationship particularily if she is under 10.
    Dogs and pigs are banned for religious reasons.
    Can have a pint in the pub without being told its not Halal.
    ............. ah feck I am heading to eastern where I wont be reminded about my white privillege

Yeah that's a clear and present danger alright

What's wrong with polygamy?

You've probably cheated on your wife of girlfriend or at least thought about it.

I dont know inbreeding, VD, one is more than enough. etc etc

No I have never cheated on my fiancee. I have always been faithful. I have the most wonderful partner anyone could wish for. I have too much to lose by cheating on her. Often thought about murdering her but never cheat, and Vice Versa.

Nothing like cheating on the wife and she gets the house, kids, dog and you have to pay for two homes, twice the grief. Sad saps who get caught at this have miserable lives. I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

It's more that civil law is being seperated from the tenants of faith, which is a good thing. A lack of over-deferential behaviour to religous orders is also a good thing, just as it is with the states other sacred cow, the gardai.

I dont know inbreeding, VD, one is more than enough. etc etc

No I have never cheated on my fiancee. I have always been faithful. I have the most wonderful partner anyone could wish for. I have too much to lose by cheating on her. Often thought about murdering her but never cheat, and Vice Versa.

Nothing like cheating on the wife and she gets the house, kids, dog and you have to pay for two homes, twice the grief. Sad saps who get caught at this have miserable lives. I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy

Ah well that’s ok then skooter, carry on, nothing to see here :D

Peatys wrote: »
    Bet you don't.

Well the Average Irish family cant afford to buy their own house. We are being told that Homelessness in Ireland is going to be Normal. I am educated and have two professions much in demand. There is no value to working when the fat of what you earn get taken in tax and you wont be able to retire to well past 75 at the rate we are going. You dont think I want hang around for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

No one brushes Christian values and Chisitian's believes aside. They're free to hold those values and believe what they believe. But I think its good that those values and believes are no longer dictated on everyone else, too. Not to the same strict degree anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

So you dont like them?

Ah a bit of the ould scaremongering, can't beat it of a Saturday evening

Next lot ? how about No lot.

I've never seen or heard of anyone dying because they were atheist

( being killed or dying because of denied care doesn't count )

If you can't live your life without murdering yer neighbour etc etc without having to refer to some holy book or other, you are a robot - a squidgy robot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

What values are these now?

Being "Christian" and judging all those around you?

gctest50 wrote: »
    Ah a bit of the ould scaremongering, can't beat it of a Saturday evening

Next lot ? how about No lot.

I've never seen or heard of anyone dying because they were atheist

( being killed or dying because of denied care doesn't count )

If you can't live your life without murdering yer neighbour etc etc without having to refer to some holy book or other, you are a robot - a squidgy robot

Actually you are fair game as an atheist by the Quran by all accounts.

Actually you are fair game as an atheist by the Quran by all accounts.

Do please be as good as to give us a timeline for our conversion to the faith of the prophet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I don't care enough to read the article you suggested without telling us what article was actually about or what you thought about it yourself.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Do please be as good as to give us a timeline for our conversion to the faith of the prophet.

Havent worked it out yet but as the Birth rates of the native Irish are less than 1.8 and our new "Irish" are about 4-5 then allowing for 50k a year it wont be long happening. The good new for me is I will be long gone out of the country by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

REally? Have you seen all mosques planned and Baptist churches in Industrial estates? Its not going to end well I am telling for one crowd or the other

3 of the most murderous societies In history, probably the top 3 for people killed in short periods are Genghis Khans Khanate, Mao's China and the USSR in is first 30 years.

The first was very tolerant of diverse religions and those with none, while the last two were strictly atheist.

It could be argued that they all replaced religion with a messianic vision of their own.

Things won't change much of religion disappeared, possible to imagine it being bloody for a while as something else replaced it.

We are already seeing a replacement of religion for many already. The righteousness in many activists today shows were the modern version of Jesuits ended up.

Which of the 10 commandments do you object to?

Havent worked it out yet but as the Birth rates of the native Irish are less than 1.8 and our new "Irish" are about 4-5 then allowing for 50k a year it wont be long happening. The good new for me is I will be long gone out of the country by then.

So you haven't a bogs notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

What now ? oh the whole story book about an excuse due to an extra-martial affair that got out of hand ?

Was that the one with unicorns or was that the other one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

"Our" Christian values? Not my generation's, for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

You shall have no other gods before Me.
    You shall make no idols.
    You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
    Keep the Sabbath day holy.

I object to those.

I mean....all of those seem a bit pointless, so there's a start.
    I am anti murder,
    I like to respect my folks, but others might have awful, abusive parents, so fcuk that. That's their call.
    Adultery....not great, but who am I to judge.
    My neighbors and I are all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tmh106

If the alternative is a Ireland full of people with your world view then I'd say the benefits are substantial.
    You're living in the wrong decade - 1950s Ireland would have been right up your street .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

None of the ten commandments say anything at all about consensual, non-cheating sexuality, but modern Catholicism is utterly obsessed with it in a way which completely f*cked up entire generations of people.

If the "Christian" value that victimless crime is a valid ideological concept gets eradicated from public life, it's well worth celebrating.

Odhinn wrote: »
    So you haven't a bogs notion.

Tell me how I can predict it? We seem to be having an unchecked amount of refugees entering Ireland. More with this new UN Agenda, like Pokemon where we gotta take em all. Then I predict a further drop in native Irish birthrates.

A more interesting thing I was talking about with a colleague is the recent drop in the rat population. This is a very dangerous sign of things to come. Rats can see three generations in 3-4 months due to the fact they can conceive while lactating. Environmental disasters could slow the population down dramatically.

tmh106 wrote: »
    If the alternative is a Ireland full of people with your world view then I'd say the benefits are substantial.
    You're living in the wrong decade - 1950s Ireland would have been right up your street .

Nah I think I would have been more at home in the 1960's UK. Love all that culture. The new meaning of "culture" gives me the shudders.

"Our" Christian values? Not my generation's, for sure.

Your generation cant start a lawn mower, let alone a revolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Here we go again. A new reg who practically spits out a couple of teeth every time he says the word liberal. :rolleyes:

Tell me how I can predict it?

You can't, which is my point.

We seem to be having an unchecked amount of refugees entering Ireland. More with this new UN Agenda, like Pokemon where we gotta take em all. Then I predict a further drop in native Irish birthrates.

You think seeing refugees will put us off gettin the ride now?

I'm not going down the rat rabbithole.

StopWatch wrote: »
    You shall have no other gods before Me.
    You shall make no idols.
    You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
    Keep the Sabbath day holy.

I object to those.

Every try having two jobs?
    Every build someone up that they were infallible?
    Ever see those sad saps working 7 days a week? no family time? no time to rest? My girlfriend at the time didnt get it, now she both mentally and physically burnt out working in retail. She gets it now. She now understand Sarcadian rhythms, daylight savings time and family time. Time for work rest and play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not religious. I don't like people that get in your face about God.
    What I don't like even more are those that get in your face about their hate of religion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement