Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are our Catholic/Christian values being brushed aside?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So you dont like them?
    Wait until you see the next lot coming in have to offer:
    Women are second rate citizens
    Ha :pac:

Wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Your generation cant start a lawn mower, let alone a revolution.

Unlike previous generations that "took it like a canine b1tch in heat" from the church

"Give us your money"

"Give us your pregnant daughters so we can sell your grandchildren for more money

"Grandchildren not up-to-spec for rich Americans ? don't worry , into the septic tank with them "

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Every try having two jobs?
    Every build someone up that they were infallible?
    Ever see those sad saps working 7 days a week? no family time? no time to rest? My girlfriend at the time didnt get it, now she both mentally and physically burnt out working in retail. She gets it now. She now understand Sarcadian rhythms, daylight savings time and family time. Time for work rest and play.

I think you should teach her Circadian rhythms instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

do you agree with the journalist's supposition, and do you care?

Well the first thing he seems to have said in the article is that it seems like we are trying to erase the memory of catholic Ireland as if it never happened. As one of the more vocal anti religion posters on this website I would HATE to see that happen.

No I want us to remember it all, repeat it to ourselves, and grok as deeply as possible all that Catholic Ireland did, got away with, and would continue to do if let or allowed to resurge. Let us NEVER erase and NEVER forget that history please.

The second thing that jumps out at me is that I predicted even before I opened and read the article, that it would be about a single individual with an opinion who is basically just butt-hurt about the "first" abortions this week. And my prediction could not have been more correct. Perhaps I am the next messiah with this crystal ball brain of mine. Or perhaps it was just as obvious as can be.

If they want to protect Catholicism in this country then perhaps rather than moaning a better approach would be to attempt to argue the benefits of it, what good it or religion in general actually does us, or why we would want to keep or revive it. I think most of us know why they will not (can not) do this. But anyone who needs help will find the Intelligence Squared debate where Hitchens and Fry went up against to apologists to answer the question of the Catholic Church being a force for good in the world. The results of that debate were.... comical.... when you compare the opening vote and closing votes for the motion.

And now they are left with nothing worth to fight for except the name over the door of a hospital. And when he says in the link "We must respect our own Irish culture and way of life." I would merely answer him that doing exactly that is one reason WHY I fight against religion. So I thank him for his cheer leading and the motivation of reminding me why I do what I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Your generation cant start a lawn mower, let alone a revolution.

And yet we've just spearheaded the successes of two referenda to dramatically de-authoritarianise this country. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

And yet we've just spearheaded the successes of two referenda to dramatically de-authoritarianise this country. Onwards and upwards.

You mean demoralised our country lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Tell me how I can predict it?.

Others such as the PEW Research Centre already have predicted. Europe will be 10% muslim by 2050 and a few countries (Sweden/France/UK etc) may well get close to 20% by then, just using medium scenarios.

Ire won't be doule digits, but Ireland is Europe and Europe is Ireland.

The freedom and ease of movement may well change human geography across the EU as it expands. Wars, fiscal welfare and civil unrest could also be deciding factors.

Why did the atheist cross the road ?

To tell everyone they're an atheist...

Same applies with liberals, vegans and the other ilk ;););)

Not to be taken personal.... only banter ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Muckka wrote: »
    You mean demoralised our country lol ;)

I don't think that word means what you think it means :p

But essentially, yes. Purging the concept of morals which forbid behaviours other than those which actually harm other people from government policy and public life. De-tabooing sex. Freeing people from rules which serve no purpose other than to please repulsive control freaks.

Should have happened centuries ago.

• Advertisement

yes but some folk insisting we all abandon religion as we strive for a new secular Ireland.

I for one have little interest in having anyone change their hobbies, much less abandon any particular one. Their club houses for their hobbies are easier on the eye than many other hobbies too.

I also have no interest in stopping people masturbating. In fact the religious could learn a lot from people who masturbate.... mostly about the concept of "Time and a place" and how to keep their personal habits and hobbies out of our schools, science and halls of power.... and maybe focus a little on the word "personal" in the term "personal faith".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Odhinn wrote: »
    You can't, which is my point.

You think seeing refugees will put us off gettin the ride now?

I'm not going down the rat rabbithole.
    I initially estimated we would become financially overwhelmed in 20 years and socially overwhelmed in 30 years. This is becoming much shorter.

But is going to happen and sooner than I predicted.
    Refugee families, take for instance the Romas. Have been here for 3 generations. no sign of integrating, getting a job but keeping law enforcement in full employment. Other minorites are taking up higher proportions in the prison system and refusing to integrate both socially and economically.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

I initially estimated we would become financially overwhelmed in 20 years and socially overwhelmed in 30 years. This is becoming much shorter.

Refugee families, take for instance the Romas. Have been here for 3 generations. no sign of integrating, getting a job but keeping law enforcement in full employment. Other minorites are taking up higher proportions in the prison system and refusing to integrate both socially and economically.

I completely agree. Once we kick out every foreigner and racially impure people, we focus into making Ireland into a Christian right wing agrarian state. In one and two generations we’ll become advanced enough to rival Wakanda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

it never fails to amuse me, how those folk who proclaim to have no interest in religion, get so work-up by it.

I don't think that word means what you think it means :p

But essentially, yes. Purging the concept of morals which forbid behaviours other than those which actually harm other people from government policy and public life. De-tabooing sex. Freeing people from rules which serve no purpose other than to please repulsive control freaks.

Should have happened centuries ago.

Ah sure once people leave me alone it'll be ok.

I often wonder was the taboo of sexuality more fun when it was underground ???

Like sometimes being naughty and frowned upon by society can be fun....

As long as it's between two conscientious adults, what's the harm......

Being back Taboo ;)

Great you legistated for killing the unborn and what ever monstrosity you call "marriage equality". Next thing you will want to euthanize the elder generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

"roma" is a religion now? I thought you were saying the muslims were taking over.

sk8erboii wrote: »
    I completely agree. Once we kick out every foreigner and racially impure people, we focus into making Ireland into a Christian right wing agrarian state. In one and two generations we’ll become advanced enough to rival Wakanda.

Like what Sweden was in the 1960 and the last two years they have had to borrow to service their social welfare budget. I would like you to point out any African state you would rather live in.

Great you legistated for killing the unborn and what ever monstrosity you call "marriage equality". Next thing you will want to euthanize the elder generation.

Dear o dear. Kinder, Küche, Kirche now, is it?

it never fails to amuse me, how those folk who proclaim to have no interest in religion, get so work-up by it.

Careful not to confuse having no interesting religion, and having no interest in PARTAKING of religion. They are massively different things. And religion in and of itself is massively and endlessly interesting I find. So is war actually, but I have no interest in doing that either.

"roma" is a religion now? I thought you were saying the muslims were taking over.

That is to illustrate how larger number of more radical religions would have a much more adverse effect on our society like in the uk. Where muslims constitute 5% of the over all population but contribute to 15% over all prison population. When you understand that statistic you begin to understand that problem.

• Advertisement

Like what Sweden was in the 1960 and the last two years they have had to borrow to service their social welfare budget. I would like you to point out any African state you would rather live in.

Paris used to be one of the most desirable destinations on the planet. it still is, but what a frickin mess it is now.
    i travel there regularly, but there are areas that are truly frightening.

it's like driving into Abuja

Dear o dear. Kinder, Küche, Kirche now, is it?

Oh bring on the Godwins law are we?

Bring back magic, piseógs and brehon law's.

It would be a great country, outlaw Christianity and any other abrahamic obscenities...

Oh bring on the Godwins law are we?

You're espousing those values behind the 'snappy' phrase. The cap fits.

Paris used to be one of the most desirable destinations on the planet. it still is, but what a frickin mess it is now.
    i travel there regularly, but there are areas that are truly frightening.

it's like driving into Abuja

I hate to correct you on that but tourist numbers have been plummeting since recent years since the spate of terrorist attacks. The base of the Eiffel tower is now cordoned off.

That is to illustrate how larger number of more radical religions would have a much more adverse effect on our society like in the uk. Where muslims constitute 5% of the over all population but contribute to 15% over all prison population. When you understand that statistic you begin to understand that problem.

We already have our own radical religious who keep trying to mess us up, their mainly Catholic.

Good to see the typical Christian intolerance for others on display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I hate to correct you on that but tourist numbers have been plummeting since recent years since the spate of terrorist attacks. The base of the Eiffel tower is now cordoned off.

Visitors to Paris
    2015 = 16 million
    2016 = 18 million
    2017 = 16 million
    2018 = 18 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yeah read that article today and I though it was totally ridiculous. Catholics expect that even though eff all ppl are true Catholics anymore that Catholicism still should have the same standing in society as it always had. How absurd is that. Why would anyone who isn't a Catholic care less about their concerns?

With the low turn out for the Pope's visit Catholics now know that the power they had as a group is diminishing day by day. They can carp and moan all they like but it won't make any difference. They don't have the numbers and being noisy won't make any difference. I'm actually enjoying this sense of desperation coming from them.

AllForIt wrote: »

They don't have the numbers and being noisy won't make any difference. I'm actually enjoying this sense of desperation coming from them.

Make all the noise they want if there was no one there to hear it :P

lLYcudp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

"Hmm, it's Saturday night and I'm bored. What thread will I start on boards?"

On a less frivolous note, can we get rid of that symbol of Roman execution in the Phoenix Park?

I mean, who'd accept a gigantic guillotine in its place? Or on the walls of every classroom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

Bring back magic, piseógs and brehon law's.

It would be a great country, outlaw Christianity and any other abrahamic obscenities...

I completely agree.
    MIPA
    Make Ireland Pagan Again.
    Infact make all of Europe pagan again,
    And I'm not talking about that wiccan bull.
    Europe might start to heal if we return to our natural state of mind and purge the poison of these unnatural middle eastern desert fairytales.
    We may find peace and confidence in our identity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

i ask this question in light of a recent article i spotted.

like many you may think it's a good thing and to be welcomed.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/christianity-is-being-eroded-and-despised-irelands-moral-minority-rise-up-37700374.html

I'm popping in a bit late. Sorry for that, but can I just ask, what values do you consider to be uniquely Christian that you are concerned are being lost out on?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Visitors to Paris
    2015 = 16 million
    2016 = 18 million
    2017 = 16 million
    2018 = 18 million

Are you sure that's not the number of illegal immigrants coming in.

gw80 wrote: »
    Are you sure that's not the number of illegal immigrants coming in.

Nope their the actual tourist numbers, can be found online. Same as the fact that Irish is the second largest nationally of foreign prisoners in the UK. And the fact that threads like this on boards attract the usual anti immigration morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Most of what had made Europe a great place to live are r from the Christian tradition.

What we consider human rights and workers rights are from that tradition.

Danzy wrote: »
    Most of what had made Europe a great place to live are r from the Christian tradition.

Not really, they basically conquered us and assimilated us with the sword and fear.

Learn a bit more about brehon law's and paganism, I'm not undermining your post .

Ireland would be better without any abrahamic religion, seriously atheism is only a protest rather than a state of being.

Atheism is just some made up word....means nothing...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Learn a bit more about brehon law's and paganism, I'm not undermining your post .

Ireland would be better without any abrahamic religion, seriously atheism is only a protest rather than a state of being.

How do you feel about words such as atypical and apolitical?

Most of what had made Europe a great place to live are r from the Christian tradition. What we consider human rights and workers rights are from that tradition.

Even if any of that is true, which I strongly doubt, appeals to the utility of religion in the past is not much use to us in the present. Stabilisers were great when my child was learning to cycle too. They would be useless and even potentially harmful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We're a nation of pagans who are shaking off the shackles of the Rome's church. Not before time.

• Advertisement

Why do you think those things would not have come about without christianity.
    Christianity has never sat well in Europe, it has always been tweaked and twisted into different flavours and sects since Roman times but still it has never really stuck, it even had to latch on to traditional pagan festivals like a parasite to be accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

All words are made up. But they all mean something.

I'm popping in a bit late. Sorry for that, but can I just ask, what values do you consider to be uniquely Christian that you are concerned are being lost out on?

i'm not at all concerned. i dont ever recall saying i was.

Not at all, lots of "stuff" was lost for ever due to the christian invasion in ireland

eg : the 'magic' healing earth/soil in some parts of the country

Since it seems to actually work**, it would have been put down to witchcraft/demons whatever

***** = https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2018.02458

Traditionally a small amount of soil was wrapped up in cotton cloth and used to heal many ailments including toothache, throat and neck infections. Interestingly, this area was previously occupied by the Druids, around 1500 years ago, and Neolithic people 4000 years ago.

The main findings of the research were that the newly-identified strain of Streptomyces:

Inhibited the growth of four of the top six multi-resistant pathogens identified by the WHO as being responsible for healthcare-associated infections: Vancomycin resistant Enterococcus faecium (VRE), methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), Klebsiella pneumonia, and Carbenepenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumanii

Inhibited both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, which differ in the structure of their cell wall; usually gram negative bacteria are more resistant to antibiotics

It is not yet clear which component of the new strain prevents the growth of the pathogens

CxhBToa.jpg
    Growth of the newly discovered Streptomyces sp. myrophorea, so named because it produces a distinctive fragrance similar to that of oil of wintergreen. Although superficially resembling fungi, Streptomyces are true bacteria and are the source of two-thirds of the various frontline antibiotics used in medicine.
    Credit: G Quinn, Swansea University

workers rights come from past generations forming together in trade unions. Something the church have always been strongly against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

kenmc wrote: »
    Fingers crossed. No place for religion in this day and age.
    Climate change is the new religion with fools falling for it left right and center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I have to laugh when I see people predict the loss of our Christianity will result in an increase in FGM and other barbaric practices towards children.

Can I remind people who say that of the mass child grave that was uncovered at Tuam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What is really weird is the celebration of the rise of Islam in this country and elsewhere. I recall former president Obama talking about Islam as "one of the great religions of the world". Like great, all we need is more religion. What could go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I have to laugh when I see people predict the loss of our Christianity will result in an increase in FGM and other barbaric practices towards children.

Can I remind people who say that of the mass child grave that was uncovered at Tuam?

And the people, who talked about what was happening in Tuam 30 years ago. Were also laughed at, by people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

i ask this question in light of a recent article i spotted.

like many you may think it's a good thing and to be welcomed.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/christianity-is-being-eroded-and-despised-irelands-moral-minority-rise-up-37700374.html

Yes I think the article is correct. The Irish have kept the faith for 1500 years and are now abandoning it just when we need it most. The second coming of Christ may be imminent. We live in a time unlike any other in history. It certainly looks like the vision of Pope Leo VIII has come true, the church has been destroyed.

In the various apparitions such as Fatima, Medjugorje, Kibeho and Akita, Our Lady is said to look sad, not because of the lives that are in danger but because of the souls. When we think in imortally, this is understandable. Earthly life is short, our souls are infinate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

AllForIt wrote:
    What is really weird is the celebration of the rise of Islam in this country and elsewhere. I recall former president Obama talking about Islam as "one of the great religions of the world". Like great, all we need is more religion. What could go wrong.
    The rise of Islam would tempt me towards Irexit. Rather be poor than dead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement