Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That these players are not comparable to just any woman kicking a ball around like an amateur. She plays for one of the biggest teams in women's rugby in the whole of the UK, and as was obvious from the interview, that takes enormous sacrifice.

Putting a player like that in the same bracket as some woman playing for Thurles Women's RFC -- or even Munster Ladies -- makes absolutely no sense. You're talking a completely different level of skill.

Ok got you now, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Leah Lyons plays for Ireland, and plays in a top-15 club in the UK. She's not some amateur kicking a ball around Belfield a couple of nights a week after work ffs.

And would you think that on the basis of the quality of the play or the attendances at the matches that it is reasonable to expect to be paid?

And don't get me wrong, she seems like a nice girl. But, if she's not happy with the terms and conditions, then do something else.

And would you think that on the basis of the quality of the play or the attendances at the matches that it is reasonable to expect to be paid?

And don't get me wrong, she seems like a nice girl. But, if she's not happy with the terms and conditions, then do something else.
    I understand completely the argument that women cannot expect to earn the same incomes as male professionals when there is an obvious difference in physicality, and match attendence figures.

But the top women should be compensated to some extent, and their games should be given better coverage. That's moving onto a slightly different issue now.

What I think is really beyond the pale is lumping all women in sport into the same category. In the UK in particular, there are women in clubs like Harlequins that have more earned the right to be called elite athletes, including Leah Lyons.

Jaysus Chris, it's still early will you stop shouting, the head pounding on me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Harry Crosbie again. Has he some dirt on the montrose crowd or what? I thought he was bankrupt

Harry Crosbie again. Has he some dirt on the montrose crowd or what? I thought he was bankrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Oh yea same old solution ... build, build, build IN DUBLIN!

So he made a deal with Nama who are now paying him a salary.. Unbelievable
    The dice was loaded from the start as Leonard Cohen sang one time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is this the Harry Crosby tribute show

• Advertisement

Seems to have been in with the montrose mafia for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Crosbie gets a nose bleed if leaves between the canals.What a P*ick.

He says he will get absolutely nothing from it

Of course any property or facilities he has in the area MAY go up in price but say nothing about that ...

He reminds of me of the saying

To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail

To a man with significant investment property in the docklands everything can be solved by more building in the docklands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I was surprised that he was given any air time. Does he think that we all have suffered from amnesia? I'm terrified that the same crowd who ruined our economy which cost us 60+ billion, are back and up to their same tricks.
    Draining the river would be an astronomical expense and who would pay for it? No doubt the same suckers who bailed out profligate outfits in 2008.
    Harry Crosbie makes to make the tired old excuse for not paying his bills- the bankers screwed him, not his fault.
    Lord give me patience!

I think he is a very good friend of Marion's, is he not?

When he was going to great lengths to describe his trials and tribulations, I was left thinking to myself "Jesus Harry, that's sounds like an awful lot of hassle, why didn't you just ask Marion to get you a job in RTE"

• Advertisement

Changing the punctuation of the song lyrics and expecting this to confuse the listeners must be the most retarded thing that RTE have done since hiring Ray D'Arcy.

Now that dose catriona crow another one of marians dinner party circle

I was surprised that he was given any air time. Does he think that we all have suffered from amnesia? I'm terrified that the same crowd who ruined our economy which cost us 60+ billion, are back and up to their same tricks.
    Draining the river would be an astronomical expense and who would pay for it? No doubt the same suckers who bailed out profligate outfits in 2008.
    Harry Crosbie makes to make the tired old excuse for not paying his bills- the bankers screwed him, not his fault.
    Lord give me patience!
    It's some weird brand of capitalism we have here when the likes of him and Johnny Ronan and the rest essentially become bankrupt and broke and yet they still continue living the same lifestyle they had before coming up with grandiose plans like these
    Should they not be living in social housing somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Marian is snotting/swallowing phlegm like nobody's business this morning.
    It's turning me off my oats.

She was involved in the property game herself for a while.. Mespil Rd an all that. Not sure if she still owns a few

• Advertisement

Did you not listen to the interview? He explained it several times.

Land in that area is worth 25 million per acre.
    There are 250 acres eligible for reclamation.
    €25m x 250 acres = €6.25billion

The project itself has been priced, it is claimed, at €200m euro.

Therefore, the cost would be about 3.2% of the value.

Even if the cost trebled, as it sometimes does, that's about 10% of the value of the whole site.

One word, well two words..,, Fianna Fáil

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The project itself has been priced, it is claimed, at €200m euro.

Therefore, the cost would be about 3.2% of the value.

Well he said something along the lines of "some Dutch bloke who works in this field reckoned it'd be about..." and in basing the rest of his plans off that "back of a beer mat economics" i was more than skeptical.

I like Crosby and what he's brought to the city but i think he's been passing the bong around on this idea too much.
    A more interesting proposal is the one they touched on in the show and thats expanding southerly... But Crosby doesnt like that plan because he said he likes that view (that was another line from him that pricked my ears as it sounded like someone was stealing his weird sounding thunder).

I was hoping he was going to be talking about his outdoor theatre idea using the stonework of the old Theatre Royal (which he has in storage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's only a matter of time before her other old pal Seanie Fitzpatrick is on the show again to begin his public rehabilitation. :rolleyes:

humberklog wrote: »
    Well he said something along the lines of "some Dutch bloke who works in this field reckoned it'd be about..." and in basing the rest of his plans off that "back of a beer mat economics" i was more than skeptical.
    Nah he didn't say some Dutch bloke, he mentioned the firm who are doing this land reclamation in Dubai.

Nah he didn't say some Dutch bloke, he mentioned the firm who are doing this land reclamation in Dubai.

Sound.

I'll listen back later. I thought at the start he was unspecific about the provenance of the guesstimat.

Just had a close listen back and i don't think he mentioned the firm. He says "a firm" and doesn't elabotate much more than that during the interview. But they're Dutch it's inportant he says the firm are Dutch. It's a Dutch firm

Just had a close listen back and i don't think he mentioned the firm. He says "a firm" and doesn't elabotate much more than that during the interview. But they're Dutch it's inportant he says the firm are Dutch. It's a Dutch firm
    I think your missing the point. It isn't "some Dutch fella", it's a group who have undertaken this exact work in Dubai, which people will be familiar with from media or if they've been to Dubai.

It's not a quote from some local, even Dutch, handyman.

I don't know if Crosby is leaving out some crucial information. I think it's worth hearing from the Minister as to why this isn't a good idea.

Marzy was NOT ONE BIT impressed with the criticism of her good buddy Crosby just now

She jumped in and defended him to the hilt

“These visionary types should sometimes be listened to”

Marzy was NOT ONE BIT impressed with the criticism of her good buddy Crosby just now

Yeah I noticed that too. I think the remark was very clumsy though. She said that essentially Harry Crosbie was like a dodgy used car salesman. Now, she meant it as a compliment about his sales abilities, but could have been also be interpreted as him being of questionable morals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

She jumped in and defended him to the hilt

She continues to push his silly proposal. The "Dutch" firm will do the reclamation work for "nothing". If you buy that line I have a bridge that I want to sell you in London.

Harry's description of the site is quite different to the proposed plans as shown by The Irish Times. Harry says the development runs as far as the Clontarf baths (which wouldn't give you the 280 acres). The plan in the IT shows it extending as far as the existing docks (which would give you 280acres.

One texter questioned why we have open borders when there are no houses for our own, and you could immediately hear somebody in the background saying "oh dear oh dear". This cowardly political correctness has to stop. One of the panelists has already said that she could not get a house in Dublin when she was looking ten years ago. One third of the people on the housing list are non irish, so it HAS to be included in an overall discussion of housing.

One texter questioned why we have open borders when there are no houses for our own, and you could immediately hear somebody in the background saying "oh dear oh dear". This cowardly political correctness has to stop. One of the panelists has already said that she could not get a house in Dublin when she was looking ten years ago. One third of the people on the housing list are non irish, so it HAS to be included in an overall discussion of housing.

Yep. Was just about to post

That 3 second section says so much about the groupthink and taboo subjects in Irish media.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

That 3 second section says so much about the groupthink and taboo subjects in Irish media.

I agree. The "oh dear, oh dear" comment just shut down any notion of a mere debate on the issue. Nobody wants to close borders immediately - but can we just have a simple debate on it. I was amazed Marian even read the comment out and then I switched off when she didn't have the courage to open a discussion up. Disappointing.

And the reluctance to even have a discussion on any of these changes to the fundamental makeup of the Rep of Ireland which effect us all and our children's futures pushes anyone with even the most moderate views on immigration further to the right or to the left

Eoghan Corry fairly took apart the union representative during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Irish pilots tend to think of themselves as gods .., like they're flying Aer Lingus in the sixties and seventies... they need to realise they're not that special really .

She continues to push his silly proposal. The "Dutch" firm will do the reclamation work for "nothing". If you buy that line I have a bridge that I want to sell you in London.
    He said there will be no net cost. He clearly, explicitly said they would be paid from the proceeds of the sale of land, or paid in land.

You're deliberately misleading what he said now. There are good arguments against Crosby's proposal without having to make things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

At last someone talking a wee bit of common sense about the PPS card & the overthetop GDPR. It would be very interesting to know what impact, if any, it has had on the operation of the media companies it was designed to control. I'd be willing to bet very, very little.

"From a very rudimentary knowledge of it..... "

No week's reading of the newspapers this week then Marion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

He said there will be no net cost. He clearly, explicitly said they would be paid from the proceeds of the sale of land, or paid in land.

You're deliberately misleading what he said now. There are good arguments against Crosby's proposal without having to make things up.

The best answer to his proposal is that we have plenty of land already that isnt prone to flooding which is why the Dutch needed to build their polders and dykes , drive 10 miles out of Dublin and there is more or less nothing for 2o0 miles in any direction apart from some small settlements -- we are an empty country.

Oops69 wrote: »
    The best answer to his proposal is that we have plenty of land already that isnt prone to flooding which is why the Dutch needed to build their polders and dykes , drive 10 miles out of Dublin and there is more or less nothing for 2o0 miles in any direction apart from some small settlements -- we are an empty country.
    The two big differences here are (i) that those lands, even if compulsorily purchased, are privately owned; it would cost hundreds of millions, if not billions, to buy those lands. That's before you even dig a hole in the ground. (ii) Developments on the boundaries of the city create major traffic problems, if built on a similar scale, as well as other problems associated with urban sprawl.

Density close to the city centre, and the fact that the lands are already state-owned, are major factors.

Even if you stretch the cost of reclaiming these lands beyond all credibility, it is still a small fraction of the value of these lands.

I think your missing the point. It isn't "some Dutch fella", it's a group who have undertaken this exact work in Dubai, which people will be familiar with from media or if they've been to Dubai.

It's not a quote from some local, even Dutch, handyman.

I don't know if Crosby is leaving out some crucial information. I think it's worth hearing from the Minister as to why this isn't a good idea.

I don't think he said the same company doing the work in Dubai is the same that gave him a quote on the quantity of works.
    I've listened back 4 times now and can't find any other description of the company other than it's Dutch.

A texter referred to their experience of what they saw in Dubai but no mention from Harry that it was the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The two big differences here are (i) that those lands, even if compulsorily purchased, are privately owned; it would cost hundreds of millions, if not billions, to buy those lands. That's before you even dig a hole in the ground. (ii) Developments on the boundaries of the city create major traffic problems, if built on a similar scale, as well as other problems associated with urban sprawl.

Density close to the city centre, and the fact that the lands are already state-owned, are major factors.

Even if you stretch the cost of reclaiming these lands beyond all credibility, it is still a small fraction of the value of these lands.

And how do you think you would get planning permission,The elite of Clontarf blocked a flood defence wall a while back so you could imagine the protest for something like this.Its all pie in the sky stuff so that the likes of Crosbie keeps his name in the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

mgn wrote: »
    And how do you think you would get planning permission,The elite of Clontarf blocked a flood defence wall a while back so you could imagine the protest for something like this.Its all pie in the sky stuff so that the likes of Crosbie keeps his name in the papers.

Correct mg, that’s it, load of bollox.

There's quite a few things missing ftom Harry's big idea not least the knicker twisting curtain twitchers on Vernon Avenue.

The big one i can't figure out is this costing of 200million. How did they come up with that figure- there was no ground analsys done (I'd have seen the rigs) . Before these brainy clog hoppers start hosing infill into this large site there'd be huge dredging required and that spoil will more than likely need to be sent for cleaning treatment in Germany before it can be reused or spread back into public environment.

On my back of a beer mat economics i don't think 200million would even get you the prep works done to recieve the infill.

Another fairly obvious question Marian should have asked Harry is what happens to Dollymount and the coastal area up as far and possibly beyond the causeway. I dunno and i don't think Harry does either.

I don't think he said the same company doing the work in Dubai is the same that gave him a quote on the quantity of works.
    I've listened back 4 times now and can't find any other description of the company other than it's Dutch.

A texter referred to their experience of what they saw in Dubai but no mention from Harry that it was the same company.
    Listen closer. 11 minutes 20 seconds into the programme, he mentions that these guys have done the very same work in Dubai.

On my back of a beer mat economics i don't think 200million would even get you the prep works done to recieve the infill.
    Can we see the back of your beermat, or just generally how you arrived at that calculation regarding preparatory works?

Listen closer. 11 minutes 20 seconds into the programme, he mentions that these guys have done the very same work in Dubai.

Can we see the back of your beermat, or just generally how you arrived at that calculation regarding preparatory works?

No, it's top secret. I'll show them mine if they show me there's.

No, it's top secret. I'll show them mine if they show me there's.
    Thought so.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement