Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

sligojoek wrote: »
    They'd want to do something with that piece of sh1t that is "The Player" first.

Marian mentioned it today but got a stock "We know that and we're looking into it" answer.

I agree with you that RTE has a lot of problems but I just don't see any solution in the slash and burn promoted by a lot of posters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

elperello wrote: »
    I think Moya Doherty's idea of a kind of national forum about the future of RTE might have some merit.
    She suggested David Puttnam as a chair/facilitator.
    Any time I've heard him speak he seems a sensible well informed man and he has extensive media experience.
    Definitely what we need... Another talking shop.. Shur what's the point of paying a board?? Great country entirely for passing the parcel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

So we just set out on journey without any idea where we want to go?

who wants to go on a f****ing journey all these talking shops do is cost money.

rte needs to do news and documentsries and cut its cloth

Definitely what we need... Another talking shop.. Shur what's the point of paying a board?? Great country entirely for passing the parcel

I doubt you have much faith in the Board anyway.
    If according the Government nothing will be done for 5 years except sell offs and redundancies then we must have time for reflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I agree with you that RTE has a lot of problems but I just don't see any solution in the slash and burn promoted by a lot of posters on here.

My reply to your post was regarding the phone/laptop bit. I meant if they're going to bring in a gadget fee they'll have to fix "The Player" before they could even consider it.
    It was never right and since the re-jig it doesn't seem any better now. Ads play fine and both pic and sound are top notch. Then the "content" is lower resolution and is constantly buffering. It's not my download speed because i can play Netflix in full HD on two devices with no issues.

sligojoek wrote: »
    My reply to your post was regarding the phone/laptop bit. I meant if they're going to bring in a gadget fee they'll have to fix "The Player" before they could even consider it.
    It was never right and since the re-jig it doesn't seem any better now. Ads play fine and both pic and sound are top notch. Then the "content" is lower resolution and is constantly buffering. It's not my download speed because i can play Netflix in full HD on two devices with no issues.

Sorry for any confusion.
    Again agree re. Player.
    It's a dead duck in current form.
    I tend to go for alternative sources.
    I suspect a middle management failure. Someone who has no tech knowledge getting the wool pulled over his eyes by some so called experts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

John Lonergan gives me a pain in my face. Maybe if he was a victim of crime he would have a more realistic approach to offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

We need a world wide means of holding these companies accountable ... Zuckerberg & the rest of them get away with a shrug & a pretence that it is nothing to do with them. If a social media company permits a child to access adult material then multi-million fines need to be implemented. As soon as the bottom lines gets hit, & hit hard, Zuckerberg and his ilk won't be long implementing solutions.

I also fail to see why a social media platform can't be held responsible for the transmission of abusive or bullying material in exactly the same way a newspaper or TV company can be held to account. IMO their defence of not being a publisher is jesuitical in the extreme.

All that's needed is a willingness and a determination to tackle this insidious abuse.

"Nobody complains about that for NetFlix"

You don't have a clue, Marian do you?

• Advertisement

What this situation needs is not RTE to give us a psychological analysis of Lisa Smith and waste more RTE on some academic. What the situation needs to get the army back here and let her rot in the bed she made for herself with her murdering band of scum.

Personally I think the only reason the army is out there is for PR reasons. She is an embarrassment and every time she is in the news it is embarrassing for the Irish Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Why is it that no one ever disagrees on this program, all singing from the same hymn sheet as usual. RTE needs more government funding, everyone agrees, bring back Lisa Smith all agree, so much for balanced debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'll say one thing for Marian, at least she has the balls to talk about the rte crisis.

Joe Duffy, as far as I know, has never had it as a discussion on his show.

Not sure about Darcy or Tubridy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'll say one thing for Marian, at least she has the balls to talk about the rte crisis.

Death is Joe’s thing . If Rte dies , Joe will continuously Orgasm .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

NIMAN wrote: »

Buh.. Buh... Buh... But it's been done to death caller. We're not going there again.

Another one of Marians guests star struck after meeting Gay Byrne, tells you something about the little bubble the live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

it doesnt need to be slash and burn. I think its quite simple really, they need to concentrate on the things that independent companies wont make. Does RTE really need to make stuff like Francis Brennan or Dermot Bannon type programmes? plus it seems to me a lot of the stuff on RTE 2 could just as easily be produced by the likes of Virgin etc . The theory of public sector broadcasting , afaik is to make programming that the private sector wont or cant make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

mgn wrote: »
    Why is it that no one ever disagrees on this program, all singing from the same hymn sheet as usual. RTE needs more government funding, everyone agrees, bring back Lisa Smith all agree, so much for balanced debate.

It's funny when you think about it. Debate my posterior...it's a Sth Dublin love in.
    On the Lisa Smith piece, after the initial contribution, the contributions from the rest started with 'I agree with everything the previous contributor said...."

it doesnt need to be slash and burn. I think its quite simple really, they need to concentrate on the things that independent companies wont make. Does RTE really need to make stuff like Francis Brennan or Dermot Bannon type programmes? plus it seems to me a lot of the stuff on RTE 2 could just as easily be produced by the likes of Virgin etc . The theory of public sector broadcasting , afaik is to make programming that the private sector wont or cant make

Agreed, it doesn't need to be that way.
    I don't know what the answer is but I think Public Service Broadcasting is worth supporting and paying for.
    If we just leave RTE to a series of cuts, sell offs and redundancies for 5 years as seems to be the Government plan it might be to late.

John Lonergan gives me a pain in my face. Maybe if he was a victim of crime he would have a more realistic approach to offenders.

A lifetime in the prison service including running Portlaoise and Mountjoy.
    I think he has some insights regarding offenders.

jay0109 wrote: »
    It's funny when you think about it. Debate my posterior...it's a Sth Dublin love in.
    On the Lisa Smith piece, after the initial contribution, the contributions from the rest started with 'I agree with everything the previous contributor said...."
    I had to laugh at Tubridy the other evening when he said Gay opened up debates and allowed all views to be aired in public to be ridiculed/agreed with or whatever.. It seems the opposite is true now where any" debate" is strictly one way.. BTW I think Tubridy had the rose tinted glasses on at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

He has insights alright...."it's society's fault, not the crims' seems to behind the majority of them

jay0109 wrote: »
    He has insights alright...."it's society's fault, not the crims' seems to behind the majority of them

There is no shortage of people who want to rant about criminals. Nor should there be, people ought to be angry about law breaking.

Crime, especially crime against the person is a blight on any society but it can't be solved with one dimensional policies.

If we want to provide real lasting solutions we need to listen to someone with Lonergan's experience.

There is no shortage of people who want to rant about criminals. Nor should there be, people ought to be angry about law breaking.

Crime, especially crime against the person is a blight on any society but it can't be solved with one dimensional policies.

If we want to provide real lasting solutions we need to listen to someone with Lonergan's experience.

Oh I don't think they need John Lonergan - just listen to the Paddy O'Gorman slot any week & its a long list of excuses ... the drink, the drugs, the family breakup, the school etc etc etc

Plenty of excuses no need of John adding more.

A lifetime in the prison service including running Portlaoise and Mountjoy. I think he has some insights regarding offenders.

We can agree on that alright, because he hasn't got a clue about the victim's side. By his utterances he belittles the difficulties that the offenders brought up the victims.

If he ran it as a prison instead of a holiday camp there might not be as many who don't care whether the are locked up or not. It's only a holiday for a lot of the scumbags these days.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Oh I don't think they need John Lonergan - just listen to the Paddy O'Gorman slot any week & its a long list of excuses ... the drink, the drugs, the family breakup, the school etc etc etc

Plenty of excuses no need of John adding more.

You are right about Paddy O'Gorman. He is like a modern day Charles Dickens.
    His reports lift the lid on different areas of society.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Was there a newspaper panel? Not showing in app, only a Brexit story, kids smith and science week. Another thing RTÉ can’t get right is fooking podcasting the episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Absolute chancer on the show right now

Marian-“You work as a creative director - explain that?”

Timmy - “Hahah...emmm...you tell me....” silence

Then random bluster and bullsh1t

followed by desperate laughter hoping Marian will move on the topic

Then she says “still sounds very vague to me”

For once I agree with her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The vacuous interviewing the vacuous .

Type of creative director who can think of the best ways to screws the system for all the can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was hoping to hear the Cameroon lady say she was working as a welder, an accountant, a painter and decorator...anything other than working within the immigration/refugee advocacy industry. But no she works in that area. Boring and lazy work by the RTE researchers IMO.

Terrible stuff there from the maid

My god the whinging and whining is very hard to listen to.

This is awful radio and Marian of course is revelling in it

Everything is racism nowadays, if the were Irish in the UK in 80s and 90s when bombs were going off there, the would know what racism is really like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

this ' artist ' churning out 30- 40 works a week at 500 euro a pop and people buying them. Chancer and the gullible .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭boardise

Maureen Guffney giving it large now in a stream of truisms and ridiculosities

boardise wrote: »
    Maureen Guffney giving it large now in a stream of truisms and ridiculosities

Topped off with the blindingly obvious and numerous "studies show bla bla bla... "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Callan57 wrote: »
    Topped off with the blindingly obvious and numerous "studies show bla bla bla... "

I always think after listening to the Gaff, “what the fuuuherke did she actually say”.

Likes to waffle and try to keep a foot in every camp.

Maureen..... be a bit more decisive, stand on a few toes, you can’t sit on every fence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

We can agree on that alright, because he hasn't got a clue about the victim's side. By his utterances he belittles the difficulties that the offenders brought up the victims.

If Lonergan had spent as many years serving the victims of crime three meals a day every day and providing them with accommodation recreation and support, he'd learn a lot more about the realities of crime.

high_king wrote: »
    If Lonergan had spent as many years serving the victims of crime three meals a day every day and providing them with accommodation recreation and support, he'd learn a lot more about the realities of crime.

If he had he would need to be about 100 years old.

Try again.

Or just accept that everyone can't personally know all sides of an issue and we need to listen to all people with experience.

If he had he would need to be about 100 years old.

Try again.

Or just accept that everyone can't personally know all sides of an issue and we need to listen to all people with experience.

Try again, you don't learn about the effects of crime on victims by caring for their attackers,and catering for their every whim.

Try again, you don't learn about the effects of crime on victims by caring for their attackers,and catering for their every whim.

I have heard JL time and again expressing sympathy for victims of crime but you want to ignore his long experience of prisoners.

He couldn't possibly have the same day to day experience of dealing with victims of crime but others do.

My point is that if you want to get anywhere in addressing crime you need to involve the likes of JL.

Take into account his point of view and that of victim support groups and form policies that actually work.

I have heard JL time and again expressing sympathy for victims of crime but you want to ignore his long experience of prisoners.

So he showed his sympathy by caring for the every need of their attackers . . yeah right.

Take into account his point of view and that of victim support groups and form policies that actually work.

Yep those crime rates have really plummeted, and prison is such a deterrent now with it's gyms and play stations, wide screen TV's, organised entertainment and activities and single bedroom en-suites . . . lol

• Advertisement

So he showed his sympathy by caring for the every need of their attackers . . yeah right.

So how would you treat the inmates of the prisons?
    Don't forget you need to comply with all relevant legislation Irish and European and UN Human Rights provisions to which we are signed up.

So how would you treat the inmates of the prisons?
    Don't forget you need to comply with all relevant legislation Irish and European and UN Human Rights provisions to which we are signed up.

You mean the Irish and European and UN Criminal's Rights ?

When are the the Irish and European and UN Victims Rights coming out ?

You mean the Irish and European and UN Criminal's Rights ?

Are you proposing that removing the human rights of prison inmates will improve outcomes for victims of crime?

Are you proposing that removing the human rights of prison inmates will improve outcomes for victims of crime?

Are you proposing that improving the "rights" of criminals will improve outcomes for victims of crime?

Are you proposing that improving the "rights" of criminals will improve outcomes for victims of crime?

Thanks for the discussion but we are going around in circles now, time to call a halt.

If you have any proposals regarding prison reform or victim support I suggest you open a thread in an appropriate forum.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement