Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any real indigenous forest left in Ireland?

• 12-01-2019 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

As I understand it the last of it was cut down in the famine? I've heard the best candidate may be small islands in remote lakes. What about this Millenium forest thing?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Coolattin Woods was probably the most recent piece of ancient woodlands to be felled, back in the 1970's.
    Tomnafinnoge Woods neat Tinaheley is the only fragment of it now remaining: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomnafinnoge_Woods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Accidentally

St John's Wood in Roscommon is another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Union Wood in Sligo.

I have grown a few thousand trees from acorns collected at Union Wood, creating my own native forest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

A better question might be, is there any unmanaged deciduous forest in Ireland? Say > 50 years without deadwood or undergrowth removal etc. Anything more approximating a so called "primeval" forest before human interference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Killarney Natl. Park is one; Reenadinna, or something like that, has Western Europes oldest native yew woods.
    Ballyseedy, near tralee, is supposedly Ireland's oldest native wet woodlands. Lots of oak and ash in there but quite a few sycamores too.

A managed woodland fares much better than a neglected/ 'natural' one. Good husbandry goes a very long way and is extremely beneficial to the ecosystem.

Those Mil. forests are a load of crap. I saw one that was a large plantation of alder - no mix - and they were planted too close together. It struck me as an exercise in numbers only; no proper forethought or future value involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I have some, in Wicklow... birch and oak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I always thought the forest behind Glendalough, south of St. Kevin's church would be indigenous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Very hard to find any now not damaged by Deer or Rhodendron:(

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

We’ve about 25 acres here at home that might fit your description. According to dad it was being being managed up to the 70s, but not touched since, the timber was harvested that time by a woodsman, he cut it with an axe and hauled the timber out with a horse, and replanted as he went. It’s a lovely place to potter around, full of wildlife, proud to have a small patch of the wilderness at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Shoog

That's a managed copied wood not really true native. It's very good though.

Ireland only has tiny little pockets of woodland and most of them are highly degraded by interference or invasive species.

It depresses me greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭893bet

Rhodendron are a %#%%*%.

I have heard and effective method of control is concentrated roundup in a spray can, cut branch near the ground and spray direct onto the exposed cut. I need to test it.

Advertisement