Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for first time drivers?

Options
  • 13-01-2019 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Im female in my early 30's, im just now in a financial position where I can start thinking about learning how to drive but I cant find an affordable quote for insurance or much information on insurance for first time drivers, ive been trying to find information but not getting anywhere and wondering if anyone here can help?
    How can I keep insurance costs down? I know the car should have passed an nct but what else should I consider before buying a car?
    Also, this might be a stupid question but is it possible to use an insurance company from another country? I remember hearing about this years ago, people were getting insurance from Germany as it was cheaper than Irish insurance companies, can I do this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'm in a similar boat. I'm in my early thirties and recently passed by test. Won't be buying a car until the summer but the insurance issue is a pain. One thing to be mindful of when buying a car is the engine size. I believe the premium increases when the engine size is bigger, i.e. 1l vs 1.6l.

Passing your test and doing all 12 EDT lessons is very important too.

Adding a named driver, if you can, I think makes a big difference too.

You'll have to ring the various insurers, their online systems can't deal with new drivers. Ring as many as you can.

Honestly, I'm earmarking about 3,000 for insurance and would be surprised to get anything much less than that. It kinda makes sick to see long term drivers complaining that their premium increased from 400 to 600 when I'm in this boat :o

Advertisement