Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Gates - When Will They Be Restored?

Options
  • 13-01-2019 5:27am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know that the original gates for the Phoenix Park were removed for the Pope’s visit to Ireland last August. The replacement gates are pretty ugly, functional bare steel ones.

But the Pope’s visit was last August and this is now nearly mid-January and there appears to be no sign of the original gates being re-instated. What gives?:confused:

Anyone have any info on why it’s taking so long to put the normal gates back?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I have been asking myself the same thing. The gates are undergoing restoration works at the moment but the OPW hasn't stated when they will be put back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Yes, the temporary ones annoy me every time I go near the park. I only realised when they went, how classy the normal gates are. Would be interested if someone could confirm when they'll be put back....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Probably get a response by emailing or Tweeting the OPW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I know that the original gates for the Phoenix Park were removed for the Pope’s visit to Ireland last August.

Anyone have any info on why it’s taking so long to put the normal gates back?

The original gate pillars at Parkgate Street were removed for the Eucharistic Congress in 1932.

They were replaced about 70 or 80 years later.

Hopefully this replacement will be quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Where have teh old gates gone from entrances/exits to Phoenix Pk..they were replaced with ugly steel things at Popes visit and these things remain still...ugly..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They are being restored as far as I know, no idea when they are due back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Didn't spot the thread.. cheers all..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

first world problems, won't someone please think of the gates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Pissartist wrote: »
    first world problems, won't someone please think of the gates

Its just a question, I doubt theyre up all night worrying about it like