Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replant lavender?

Options
  • 13-01-2019 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to see if this is a lavender plant/bush and would it be possible to replant and how I might go about it? The base is thick/woody. Also when would it be best to replant? Thanks guys

Edit: I will add a pic later

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PattyO88

Well, Regardless of the type of cutting, you should always cut healthy, straight, vigorous stems for rooting. Choose stems with good color and no buds. Use a sharp knife to take a hardwood or softwood cutting measuring 3 to 4 inches long. Cut hardwood stems just below a bump that indicates a leaf node.

Remove all of the leaves from the lower 2 inches of the stem and then gently scrape the skin off the bottom portion of the stem on one side with a knife. Set the cutting aside while you prepare the container.

Fill a small pot with commercial starting medium or a homemade mix of half vermiculite or perlite and half peat moss, with a little bark added to facilitate drainage. Dip the stripped tip of the cutting in rooting hormone, if desired. Rooting hormone helps prevent the tip from rotting and encourages quick, strong root development, but lavender roots well without it.

Stick the lower end of the cutting about 2 inches into the soil and firm the soil so that the cutting stands up straight. Cover with plastic to form a greenhouse-like environment for the cuttings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think the OP is looking to move an actual plant. If you can dig a large amount of soil in a block around the roots and move it directly into a prepared hole, it might be worth a try. My experience has been that lavender is not very amenable to being moved though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I moved two different plants (of two different varieties) from a tiny flowerbed in the graveyard (they were getting too big for that area) to full soil in the garden. One did very well indeed, and lived a good 15 years before something got digging through the roots and destroyed them. The other managed ok for a few years but then died. I never had a lavender plant in a pot that survived for me, but that's not saying much.

Advertisement