Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should cycling two abreast be allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hurrache wrote: »
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    When you say you are only holding up a motorist, bus whatever for a 30 seconds, you're not, you're holding up the next person in the queue by 30 seconds if there's a queue of 10 vehicles then you actually hold up the last to arrive in the queue by maybe 5 or more minutes before they get to overtake you, again a bit of cop on from cycling clubs and groups and a bit less propaganda.

The situation you describe doesn't happen.
    It's amazing how these frequent, long tailbacks of large numbers of vehicles for extended periods never seem to be captured by a dashcam or by a passenger's phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Says the taxi driver's Goebbels.

The situation you describe doesn't happen.

Take a look at the video posted earlier, yeah I know you don't know if there are any more cars behind BUT from when the Kodiaq overtakes at 19.41.45 until the cam car overtakes at 19.42.12 is 27 seconds, now if there are more cars in the queue it would be quite easy to end up stuck for 5 minutes plus behind a group of 4 plodding cyclists who don't single out even after the series of bends

Why? Due consideration of course. Do you make sure that they have enough room to filter through?

Other than when I'm at a set of lights turning left or have passengers alighting yeah or do you think I drive my car down the road as if I'm on a slalom course or something?

Remember as a cyclist, except in certain proscribed situations you are allowed to overtake on the right or left of a vehicle.
    (b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or

(iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.”,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Take a look at the video posted earlier, yeah I know you don't know if there are any more cars behind BUT from when the Kodiaq overtakes at 19.41.45 until the cam car overtakes at 19.42.12 is 27 seconds, now if there are more cars in the queue it would be quite easy to end up stuck for 5 minutes plus behind a group of 4 plodding cyclists who don't single out even after the series of bends

So you're saying it didn't happen outside of your own head?

It's amazing how these frequent, long tailbacks of large numbers of vehicles for extended periods never seem to be captured by a dashcam or by a passenger's phone.

I'll have to make a special effort to get out and about on a Sunday morning and see what I can get, meanwhile you'll just have to make do with the UK

So you're saying it didn't happen outside of your own head?

No I'm saying that without cop on from cyclists you can and do cause hold up Now if it had been me in the camera car we'd know for definite because of front/rear facing dash cams, maybe as AJR intones I might just drag myself out of the pit some Sunday morning and see what I come up with. Until then I'll stick with theorems as to how long you could get stuck behind cyclists in a mediocre queue of just 10 cars.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'll have to make a special effort to get out and about on a Sunday morning and see what I can get, meanwhile you'll just have to make do with the UK

haha that cyclist is well into the left, by going slower it looks like there is ample room to overtake. The vehicles also don't really look like they are being 'held up'...
    No I'm saying that without cop on from cyclists you can and do cause hold up Now if it had been me in the camera car we'd know for definite because of front/rear facing dash cams, maybe as AJR intones I might just drag myself out of the pit some Sunday morning and see what I come up with. Until then I'll stick with theorems as to how long you could get stuck behind cyclists in a mediocre queue of just 10 cars.

Do you get upset when you're stuck behind cars in traffic jams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Most drivers and passengers aren't bothered with dashcams or suchlike and wouldn't be bothered sticking up footage on youtube.

It takes a special kind of self-importance to be putting up videos of your driving (or cycling) experience on the internet.

As I said, it's amazing that people like you think you're going to find these mysterious 10 minute long tailbacks when people like me who actually live on such routes and travel the mountainous roads of Dublin and Wicklow on a regular basis haven't seen them in decades of driving.

Propaganda indeed. You're having arguments based on scenarios that only exist in your imagination.

• Advertisement

haha that cyclist is well into the left, by going slower it looks like there is ample room to overtake. The vehicles also don't really look like they are being 'held up'...

Do you get upset when you're stuck behind cars in traffic jams?

Only if they're being inconsiderate of other road users and driving at 15kph or so, if they're actually in a stationary queue of traffic because of lights etc. then nah not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That cyclist has a van with him holding up the traffic.
    So the issue is the van not the cyclist. Ban vans?

And be honest have you ever seen a cyclist+van combo holding up traffic in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Its a video showing one cyclist in front of a line of cars.
    why doesn't the van thats behind the cyclist overtake? Until the van overtakes, all the other cars have no option but to wait. This is normal right? i mean if the first vehicle was a car and the van refused to overtake, then all the other cars would have no option but to wait? Maybe there is a good reason why the van doesn't overtake? Maybe the cyclist is taking part in a group cycle and has fallen behind the other cyclists? maybe there is a group of cyclist up ahead?

So many unanswered questions.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Its a video showing one cyclist in front of a line of cars.
    why doesn't the van thats behind the cyclist overtake?

The van does not overtake because he is with the cyclist. It's fairly obvious by the line the van is taking an the warning light it has on.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Ive just checked AA road watch updates. There is a long list of traffic issues and delays around the country. Strange enough there is not one mention of a cyclist group 2 abreast causing a huge tailback?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

I want you to cycle with due consideration for other road users, unhappily it would seem the only people groups of cyclists are concerned with is themselves.

A bit of cop on would go a long way, much the same as I expect a bit of cop on from tractor drivers etc.

Yes but HOW? You are being asked to explicitly describe how 4 cyclists can make it easier on you to overtake them safely.

I always show due consideration on the road, whether it’s in a car or on a bike. Usually this I received well, but some drivers can’t be pleased.

Also reset the timer, someone mentioned Lycra.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am quite surprised no-one has asked the question. How the hell did a cyclist manage to overtake so many vehicles? Having said that I can typically overtake that many cars cycling on the hard shoulder between the Lissenhall roundabout and Swords. I'm not complaining when I do have to filter in mind, even if they do hold me up at the roundabout....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

tuxy wrote: »
    The van does not overtake because he is with the cyclist. It's fairly obvious by the line the van is taking an the warning light it has on.

Yes and any experienced motorist should have no problem overtaking a slow moving van and cyclist (assuming its safe to do so of course).

Only if they're being inconsiderate of other road users and driving at 15kph or so, if they're actually in a stationary queue of traffic because of lights etc. then nah not all.

But if those cars weren't sitting stationary on the road in front of you, you might have made it through the green light and not had to wait at the red.

Yes but HOW? You are being asked to explicitly describe how 4 cyclists can make it easier on you to overtake them safely.

I always show due consideration on the road, whether it’s in a car or on a bike. Usually this I received well, but some drivers can’t be pleased.

Also reset the timer, someone mentioned Lycra.

He wants them all to come to a complete stop and stand in the ditch out of the way every time a car comes up behind them.

I think it's interesting that the best video the poster could find of a cyclist holding up cars isn't even a cyclist but a van!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I’ve driven that road 100’s if not 1000’s of times, cycling 2 abreast is the only safe way for cyclist to be on it.

Too many people drive like Sam Quentin on that road and dangerously overtake single cyclists.

He previously posted a clip of him doing so but after being called out on the dangerous overtake he removed the clip.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107126560&postcount=1840

And the first reply to the video

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107128906&postcount=1846

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Unhappily though I have cop on it, would seem there is a majority of cyclists who don't have enough room in their tight lycra shorts to actually bring their cop on out on group rides with them and instead leave it on the hall stand or in the wardrobe.

Are ya looking at our crotches again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭xckjoo

You have front and rear facing cameras running at all times but you'll have to make a special trip on a Sunday to find what you're saying is a common occurrence? And specifically on the day you'd expect it to have the least impact on traffic

:confused::confused::confused:

amcalester wrote: »
    I’ve driven that road 100’s if not 1000’s of times, cycling 2 abreast is the only safe way for cyclist to be on it.

Too many people drive like the Sam Quentin on that road and dangerously overtake single cyclists.

He previously posted a clip of him doing so but after being called out on the dangerous overtake he removed the clip.

WTF? He has posts admitting to trying to intimidate cyclists by coming in on top of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

WTF? He has posts admitting to trying to intimidate cyclists by coming in on top of them?

Ah, he was just holding his road. Sure how could he expect the cyclist to do the same ffs.

amcalester wrote: »
    Ah, he was just holding his road. Sure how could he expect the cyclist to do the same ffs.

It's a good reminder to not cycle close to the verge as some drivers will push you into it.
    Unfortunately you need to leave lots of room to swerve left if you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Twice in your lifetime? What roads was this on?

yes twice by cyclists. once was down around charleville someplace. 2 cyclists side by side out for a 'sunday' spin but with a string of cars behind.

other time was the road between ballyragget and castlecomer. narrowish road with only 2 straights.

but thats not the point. you asked does it happen . i am saying yes it does.
    not a huge proble but still happens.

i was pritty pissed off with them . not for their chosen mode of transport but becausse they were selfish and wouldnt pull in to let off the traffic behind.

Could it be a coincidence...Spook arrives on this thread and I had a lovely taxi beep at me while passing because I was holding my position about 1m from the kerb coming up to a pinch point at Elm Park and he barely had to go into the other traffic. He didn’t get far and at Vincent’s hospital he was honking at me again. I stopped to check my bike at the lights in front of him to see if there was something wrong with it that he thought was so important to let me know. He was so polite since my first encounter with him 700m or so back the road. Lovely chap but I couldn’t find anything wrong with my bike. I think he needs new glasses. I carried on my merry way and got stuck behind another taxi and then a queue of cars on Serpentine Avenue. It was slow progress from there as they wouldn’t have the courtesy to pull in and let me using the faster mode of transport past. Horrible and inconsiderate drivers. Pity they weren’t like the taxi driver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yeah can never understand the cyclist hate. The motorists around me do a pretty good job of forming a solid jam fro west Dublin to the city center every morning. In the interest of using every available piece of road real estate, they queue in the bus lanes, yellow boxes ,across junctions and through pedestrian lights as well. Which pretty much screws it up for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

No I'm saying that without cop on from cyclists you can and do cause hold up Now if it had been me in the camera car we'd know for definite because of front/rear facing dash cams, maybe as AJR intones I might just drag myself out of the pit some Sunday morning and see what I come up with. Until then I'll stick with theorems as to how long you could get stuck behind cyclists in a mediocre queue of just 10

Buy a bike, I’ll bring you out and you might even enjoy yourself? I feel like unless you’re on the saddle you don’t ever feel the vulnerability of travelling with a car stuck on your back wheel while descending a hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tc003.jpg

Bloody cyclists, holding up sooo many cars on the M50. Oh wait....

That cyclist has a van with him holding up the traffic.
    So the issue is the van not the cyclist. Ban vans?

And be honest have you ever seen a cyclist+van combo holding up traffic in Ireland?

Would the van be there without the cyclist?

Some motorists will be held up for an hours on the M50 but if a cyclist holds them up for 30 seconds on the same journey guess which one they focus in on

Beasty wrote: »
    I am quite surprised no-one has asked the question. How the hell did a cyclist manage to overtake so many vehicles? Having said that I can typically overtake that many cars cycling on the hard shoulder between the Lissenhall roundabout and Swords. I'm not complaining when I do have to filter in mind, even if they do hold me up at the roundabout....

If a cyclist were overtaking then yeah but it would actually be traffic catching up, don't muddy the waters as there are many boards users who might actually think you were right.

ED E wrote: »
    tc003.jpg

Bloody cyclists, holding up sooo many cars on the M50. Oh wait....

Pity that's just a still as there's a compilation video in the motors forum showing cars skipping over the thatched lines and markings by using the auxiliary lanes to skip the traffic. I'm sure it's a coincidence that they all happen to be taxis.

Would the van be there without the cyclist?

The van shouldn't be there at all.

If a cyclist were overtaking then yeah but it would actually be traffic catching up, don't muddy the waters as there are many boards users who might actually think you were right.

Propaganda, ey?

But if those cars weren't sitting stationary on the road in front of you, you might have made it through the green light and not had to wait at the red.

But that's just traffic and traffic calming measures, we were supposedly relating to cyclists cycling 2 abreast in particular on country roads.

Are ya looking at our crotches again?

Only to see if you left your cop on behind which sad to say most cyclists have.

• Advertisement

relating to cyclists cycling 2 abreast in particular on country roads.

But that's just traffic.

Has it clicked with you yet? Struggling to cop onto that simple concept?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Spook_ie wrote:
    But that's just traffic and traffic calming measures, we were supposedly relating to cyclists cycling 2 abreast in particular on country roads.

Cyclists are traffic the same as any other car van etc.

xckjoo wrote: »
    You have front and rear facing cameras running at all times but you'll have to make a special trip on a Sunday to find what you're saying is a common occurrence? And specifically on the day you'd expect it to have the least impact on traffic

:confused::confused::confused:

Well if I thought there'd be many cyclists on the Wicklow mountains at 2 am I might do it then but let's not allow rational thought cloud the thread eh?

let's not allow rational thought cloud the thread eh?

Why start now.

Buy a bike, I’ll bring you out and you might even enjoy yourself? I feel like unless you’re on the saddle you don’t ever feel the vulnerability of travelling with a car stuck on your back wheel while descending a hill.

I don't feel vulnerable as a road user regardless of my mode of transport, maybe I just have more cop on than most.

If I felt vulnerable descending a hill I'd either improve my cycling abilities or allow traffic to pass, perhaps instead of me buying a bike you should get some practice in.

I don't feel vulnerable as a road user regardless of my mode of transport, maybe I just have more cop on than most.

If I felt vulnerable descending a hill I'd either improve my cycling abilities or allow traffic to pass, perhaps instead of me buying a bike you should get some practice in.

Typical taxi driver attitude, not the fault of the vehicle driving carelessly and tailgating, but the fault of the innocent party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Well if I thought there'd be many cyclists on the Wicklow mountains at 2 am I might do it then but let's not allow rational thought cloud the thread eh?

So you never encounter the issue then?

Only to see if you left your cop on behind which sad to say most cyclists have.

You what???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Cyclist cut out in front of me yesterday.

I pulled up along side him, and screamed out window

He fell off :D

Cyclist cut out in front of me yesterday.

He fell off :D

I’m disappointed that I know you from a Dundalk Fc forum. Sad times are upon us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

"Real men ride women!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement