Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody cancelled Eir FTTH by Letter ?

• 13-01-2019 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Hi all, can somebody let me know if they have the correct Address for sending a cancellation/switching letter to Eir (FTTH).

Their website gives two completely different Address's and I haven't got the time to waste hours trying to contact them by phone.
    My contract is up on 14/02 and I would prefer to give them 30 days notice now and then decide whether to go with Sky or Vodafone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You can't cancel by letter, fax or email.

You HAVE to cancel by phone. They won't accept cancellations any other way. I had that discussion with them on the Talk to Eir forum last year:

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057848243/1#post106350674

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Thanks for getting back to me Marlow.
    The Eir website does give a Letter option though;
    https://www.eir.ie/switching/#switching-letter

I have already spent (wasted) four separate 1/2 hour sessions waiting on hold with them.

The page linked to above gives one address, but the template linked to on that page gives a different address. As their site offers the option of notifying Eir by Letter they will just have to be happy with a Letter to each address and I'll cancel the DD after my next payment. That payment will be 4 days after my contract expires.

I had a look at your conversation with "Talk to Eir". It looks like I can inform Eir of my intention to Switch Providers by Letter, rather than actually cancel per se. Even the link given to you by the "Talk-to" Rep says I can do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Marlow wrote: »
    You can't cancel by letter, fax or email.

You HAVE to cancel by phone. They won't accept cancellations any other way. I had that discussion with them on the Talk to Eir forum last year:

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057848243/1#post106350674

/M

It is very legally suspect that you cannot cancel a contract by letter, whatever they say.

https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/internet/contracts/
    https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/internet/switching-providers/

It is very legally suspect that you cannot cancel a contract by letter, whatever they say.

I know .. and I pointed that out. They didn't care.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you're moving provider you don't need to contact them. The ISP you are moving to should do all that.

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me Marlow.
    The Eir website does give a Letter option though;
    https://www.eir.ie/switching/#switching-letter

Oh .. that's a new one. So the letter option is back since i spoke them then. I find it even funnier, that they can't spell "Switch" .. (check your browser headline).
    tuxy wrote: »
    If you're moving provider you don't need to contact them. The ISP you are moving to should do all that.

Yes, no, maybe.

It depends on what products you have. If it's a bundle or a standalone product, then you're fine moving to another provider .. if you stay on the OpenEIR network.

If you move to SIRO, Virgin or another provider, that has their own infrastructure, then you need to cancel Eir.

If you have Eir's VoIP service, then you need to transfer that seperatly or cancel it, if you don't want the phone service anymore. The VoIP phone service has a different UAN than the broadband service.

And then Eir sometimes still bills you because they haven't noticed in the billing department, that you've moved to another provider.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Send the letter by registered mail, so you have certain proof of delivery within the required time period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I tried that a few years ago . I can't remember the company...could have been a mobile phone contract. An Post told me that they could not get a signature at the delivery end as it was just a Letter box with no staff available to sign for it.
    With some of these companies you would be better off sending it with UPS (other Couriers are available :)) and having your letter delivered as a parcel that requires a signature, or the Courier won't deliver.

Basically send 2 letters.

One normal. And one that has to have signature. If the one that requires signature, then you have proof, that the letter has been attempted to be delivered and they have no argument.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Hi all, can somebody let me know if they have the correct Address for sending a cancellation/switching letter to Eir (FTTH).

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/109058213

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Cancel with Eir and you'll pay Sky over €100 set up and be delayed. Vodafone aren't the same network so may not be available to you. Basically as has been said above contact your new ISP and let them do it all for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Vodafone aren't the same network so may not be available to you.

Vodafone sell FTTH on the open eir network now.
    I doubt there are many areas that have both eir ftth and siro available.

tuxy wrote: »
    Vodafone sell FTTH on the open eir network now.
    I doubt there are many areas that have both eir ftth and siro available.

Wasn't aware of that, that's good because Sky's offering is mental money out of the contract period. From what I recall it's about 30,000 homes that overlap which is more than I expected.

Cancel with Eir and you'll pay Sky over €100 set up and be delayed. Vodafone aren't the same network so may not be available to you. Basically as has been said above contact your new ISP and let them do it all for you.

Your info on Vodafone is outdated.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Your info on Vodafone is outdated.

/M

No it isn't it was updated by the poster above.

/S

Wasn't aware of that, that's good because Sky's offering is mental money out of the contract period. From what I recall it's about 30,000 homes that overlap which is more than I expected.

Currently 27000 premises based on the current rollout. That does not include the 3500 premises, that OpenEIR hasn't bothered to provide Eircodes for, which also could overlap.

But OpenEIR will go back to Urban FTTH in the summer and that figure will rise.

Either way, both Vodafone and Sky are on the SIRO and on the OpenEIR network and started both selling OpenEIR FTTH just before Xmas. Just be aware, that both of them have a 1TB fair use policy. Other providers may not.

/M

Advertisement