Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DNA double Helix Nobel laureate stripped of honours for opinions on race

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Irexit wrote: »
    There is a book called "the bell curve" on this subject.

You might want to check it out.

Yea I heard of it. They linked race and intelligence. However recent work discounted the classification of race based on genetic studies

Smay, Diana; Armelagos, George (July 2000). "Galileo Wept: A Critical Assessment of the Use of Race in Forensic Anthropology". Transforming Anthropology.

Do you think ethnicity has no influence on innate intelligence?

Your question makes no scientific sense whatsoever. You're conflating also a social construct like ethnicity with a biological trait such as innate intelligence.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

DS86DS wrote: »
    Welcome to the Liberal world of 2019. Dare to go against the Liberal One World ideology, regardless of the science of proof including IQ tests and get censored and demonised.

Western society is dying thanks to Left Wing fanaticas. By 2100 there won't even be a Western society and with the Orwelian iron grip the Left has in the media and it'a thousands of brain dead foot soldiers you cannot even point this out anymore.

Modern Left Liberalism is the most evil ideology that one could conjure. It's leading to an all out war on our ways of life. But dare to criticise and it's full on censorship

Ahahahahhaahahaaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

There are differences between the races in many ways, muscle mass, muscle composition, bone density, organ functionality, skull shape etc etc etc etc but some are scared to talk about brain performance. There are obviously differences but it's not overly important as it's a small difference in averages, I'd be fairly confident to say on average Asians would be slightly better in some intelligence metrics, no biggy, different evolution paths for a slight period in our shared evolution that would balance out in a relatively tiny amount of time in a shared environment, no doubt people with a African decent have been gifted by evolution with certain athletic advantages, I believe West Africans, especially Jamaicans have stronger hearts and more muscle twitch fibers etc and that's why they dominate certain sporting events.

I don't know why the pc brigade think the racists will hijack this conversation, the white European race don't win the gold in any event, intelligence or athleticism. Still the differences are small but I genuinely find it a very interesting topic and I wish we could have more research and debate on it.

You could almost say that the European race got a good balance from both the intelligence camp and the physical camp, or would that be hovering too close to the "Europeans are the best race" area.

gw80 wrote: »
    You could almost say that the European race got a good balance from both the intelligence camp and the physical camp, or would that be hovering too close to the "Europeans are the best race" area.

European race? Like the Goths, Celts, Greeks, Hungarians and Slavic peoples? That similar collective of people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Welcome to the Liberal world of 2019. Dare to go against the Liberal One World ideology, regardless of the science of proof including IQ tests and get censored and demonised.

Western society is dying thanks to Left Wing fanaticas. By 2100 there won't even be a Western society and with the Orwelian iron grip the Left has in the media and it'a thousands of brain dead foot soldiers you cannot even point this out anymore.

Modern Left Liberalism is the most evil ideology that one could conjure. It's leading to an all out war on our ways of life. But dare to criticise and it's full on censorship

You should really get out more and stay away from those weird alt-right websites.

I'm serious, your 'us against them' paranoia is getting rather worrying at this stage.

Every single proponent of race and intelligence has so far failed to link a single scientific study and yet they're all claiming that the science is being ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

You should really get out more and stay away from those weird alt-right websites.

I'm serious, your 'us against them' paranoia is getting rather worrying at this stage.

Ah yeah, anybody who isn't on board and back slapping each other about how "bleedin brilliant " multiculturalism and demographic suicide are must "have problems".

What an age we live in, I'm sure Stalin would feel right at home.

What we know from evolution is that if you put identical organisms in differing environments for long enough they will diverge in attributes. Some people seem to be assuming that intellgence couldn't possibly be one of those diverging attributes in the case of humans without actually having any evidence to support their hypothesis. Such people should read up on the scientific method.

Yes of course it could! No one should say otherwise. However you're ignoring an area of neuroscience called neural plasticity. In other words the human brain can adapt to stimuli such as education. So environment matters as much as genetics.

• Advertisement

Man im really not sure anymore if people who harp on about (globalists, liberals, multiculturalism, migrants, one world orders) is parody or legit mental illness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Irexit

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Every single proponent of race and intelligence has so far failed to link a single scientific study and yet they're all claiming that the science is being ignored.

I can't post youtube links here but if you do a search for "Jared Taylor - Race Differences in Intelligence".

Taylor has a good short introductory video on this subject which is backed up by a number of academic studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Don’t give people awards if you’re only going to take them back later. It’s very simple. It diminishes the value of the award.

Hold up though. The guy was bestowed with this honorary award on the basis of his achievements in science.

Nowadays he is chiefly in the news for propagating blatantly crack-pot and inflammatory views. And in the eyes of many his past achievements and long list of awards and titles gives more credence to what he has to say than if they came out of the mouth of some non-entity.

In this case I think it's fully within the rights of the party who originally awarded this honorary award to rescind it, because argubly its name is being also dragged into disrepute by association with the bad science that Mr. Crick peddles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

I hadn't realised you were a scientist until now, could I ask what your opinion on the "cheddar man".
    The neolithic man they discovered in Britain, scientists said he was of brown or black complection ?

I'm not ignoring neuro plasticity. That is included when I citi innate intelligence. Is it not possile some ethnicities have higher neuro plasticity potential than others?

It is definitely possible that different people have different potential but first you would have to stop using ethnicity as a biological category.

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Man im really not sure anymore if people who harp on about (globalists, liberals, multiculturalism, migrants, one world orders) is parody or legit mental illness

Your line of thinking is the exact same as the line of thinking of totalitarian systems.

Disagree with the government and all of a sudden one is diagnosed with "mental health problems " :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, anybody who isn't on board and back slapping each other about how "bleedin brilliant " multiculturalism and demographic suicide are must "have problems".

Oh the irony.

Is it not exhausting being so paranoid, looking for social armageddon all the time? I feel it must be.

Go out, meet people, enjoy your surroundings. You'll find most people aren't as awful as you perceive them to be from reading hateful propaganda on websites designed specifically to divide. Perhaps you'll see the good in the type of people you feel you should fear.

There is much kindness in the world if you choose to look for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Honestly, your rhetoric doesn't sound much different to Mein Kampf.

The man has proven track record of being an unscientific dickhead in relation to certain things. Eg his attitude towards women was highlighted as closer to 'hating' women back in 1967 as he wrote a book about the history of DNA was closer to a gossip column. You're the sort that will go on about 'snowflakes' but it's striking that you're the one who is pissed off because an educational institute exercised its right to remove honorary titles.

Your line of thinking is the exact same as the line of thinking of totalitarian systems.

Disagree with the government and all of a sudden one is diagnosed with "mental health problems " :rolleyes:

Lol yeah alright buddy, id be right at home in nazi germany.

Meanwhile me: Attends multicultural university with friends of different races, not obsessively watching paranoid schizophrenics’ 2 hour videos on globalism

Do you have evidence to support your assertion that his beliefs are "crackpot"?

Well just look at them. His supplied evidence is "people who employ black people know they're less intelligent". That's not the standard of evidence a scientist should aspire to.

Oh the irony.

Is it not exhausting being so paranoid, looking for social armageddon all the time? I feel it must be.

Go out, meet people, enjoy your surroundings. You'll find most people aren't as awful as you perceive them to be from reading hateful propaganda on websites designed specifically to divide. Perhaps you'll see the good in the type of people you feel you should fear.

There is much kindness in the world if you choose to look for it.

DC sometimes Boards scares me. It's unbelievable to think that people in Ireland have these views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

A nice scattering of fresh posters in this thread I see.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A nice scattering of fresh posters in this thread I see.

And they wouldn't happen to be defending the racist scientist by any chance would they?

Do you have evidence to support the position that there is no innate difference of intelligence between any ethnicities?

Id ask you to provide evidence of your position but we’d have to wait a while now, wouldn’t we.
    How convenient for you, eh?

Do you have evidence to support the position that there is no innate difference of intelligence between any ethnicities?

Ahh speak of the devil. How's voat these days?

Could you provide me with evidence that there is no Bigfoot?

DC sometimes Boards scares me. It's unbelievable to think that people in Ireland have these views.

The internet has done a lot of good for the world, but conversely it has also amplified a lot of the bad.

I happened to watch Schindler's List last week (again) and your stomach would turn at what human beings did to each other because of 'fear of the other'. Sowing division and hate. It never ends well and yet we never learn the lessons of history. Never.

Society will never be perfect, there's no such thing as utopia. Without wishing to sound like a hippy dippy liberal (God forbid!), wouldn't it be nice if we accepted that people are different, good and bad and just got on with it and made the best of ourselves without worrying about 'the other' so much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Irexit

If the races are all equal then Africa should be an emerging superpower just like China given that they have more natural resources than other continent.

The internet has done a lot of good for the world, but conversely it has also amplified a lot of the bad.

I happened to watch Schindler's List last week (again) and your stomach would turn at what human beings did to each other because of 'fear of the other'. Sowing division and hate. It never ends well and yet we never learn the lessons of history. Never.

Society will never be perfect, there's no such thing as utopia. Without wishing to sound like a hippy dippy liberal (God forbid!), wouldn't it be nice if we accepted that people are different, good and bad and just got on with it and made the best of ourselves without worrying about 'the other' so much?
    Im hoping its just a parody tbh. Id be afraid of one of these kooks shooting up a university

What is my position?

A cog?

Some people on this thread don't seem to be able to accept that people could be different.

We are all different....That's what makes us different from machines!

The thing is, why do so many people prefer to focus on what makes 'the other' worse? Women are inferior to men, blacks are inferior to whites, poor people are inferior to rich people, jews are inferior to gentiles etc.? When has that sort of groupthink ever ended well?

Like everyone, I make judgements, we all do. I'd like to think I judge people on their actions, rather than paint whole swathes of people with one brush. Like, what's the point of it only to divide?

• Advertisement

Some people on this thread don't seem to be able to accept that people could be different.

Everyone is different. So?

You seemed to assume my position, do you not know what it is?

Neither do you it seems. What is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Do you have evidence to support your assertion that his beliefs are "crackpot"?

Yeah, I've got evidence.

You seemed to assume my position, do you not know what it is?

Yes I do.

Lol yeah alright buddy, id be right at home in nazi germany.

Meanwhile me: Attends multicultural university with friends of different races, not obsessively watching paranoid schizophrenics’ 2 hour videos on globalism

Aww isn't that wonderful. Let's see how lovey dovey things are when you find yourself in the dole line at the post office when some employer decides to hire all of your wonderful multicultural friends instead.

Aww isn't that wonderful. Let's see how lovey dovey things are when you find yourself in the dole line at the post office when some employer decides to hire all of your wonderful multicultural friends instead.

Because of their superior intelligence??

Lol.

A job you would never get anyway.

Lol.

A job you would never get anyway.

And neither will you. But continue to enjoy the fantasy world that is university while you still can.

Because of their superior intelligence??

It isn't hard to have superior intelligence to sk8erboii in fairness. My dog has more common sense than him.

• Advertisement

And neither will you. But continue to enjoy the fantasy world that is university while you still can.

LOL university isnt ‘fantasy’ its a real place where you make friends and meet intelligent people

? I already have a postgraduate lined up in a power plant mate.

Thats in May, and before then I’ll be enjoying the company of different people from different nations.

I’d invite you to a dorm session but im not sure you’d be able to communicate like a normal person tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I've worked with plenty of non nationals. Never blocked me from getting a job as I'm good at it. Does seem like you're pretty xenophobic and racist though...

Ah yes, Pavlov's foreigners. Got to love how they're simultaneously coming to take ehhhr jeerrbs and to scrounge our of our dole office at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Do you think ethnicity has no influence on innate intelligence?

You're putting the cart before the horse there 'science guy'. Ethnicity is inculcated after birth and innateness describes that which is inherited by way of biology. Pleeze do sum science better.

IQ tests are culturally constructed. Take a kid from a western family and put him in a jungle tribe and vice-versa and give them both IQ tests when they're 16 and what would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's beyond me how you haven't been site banned yet.

I shouldn't have to come across your bile when I'm browsing through here.

You're talking about people disregarding science then call university fantasy. University is where science is promoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Irexit wrote: »
    If the races are all equal then Africa should be an emerging superpower just like China given that they have more natural resources than other continent.

Em, Africa isn't a country, China is. One government controlling all those resources versus many, many shambolic regimes/countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

Why do libs flip out so much when it's pointed out that human beings are not equal? Some races are smarter than others, some are stronger.

Aren't we supposed to celebrate difference and diversity?

batgoat wrote: »
    I've worked with plenty of non nationals. Never blocked me from getting a job as I'm good at it. Does seem like you're pretty xenophobic and racist though...

Its kinda sad. You know the type. That one kid that no one befriended. Grows up to be bitter and blames other people for their problems.

I usually try to integrate those people and invite them in parties but that ends in disaster when their fear of other people makes every interaction awkward

Why do libs flip out so much when it's pointed out that human beings are not equal? Some races are smarter than others, some are stronger.
    Aren't we supposed to celebrate difference and diversity?

Only when it's putting someone else down it seems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Asians are smarter than average and good at maths.

Heh. Yeah they kinda are...

Maybe this race (insert x) isn't as clever as others ...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh BAN HIM!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement