Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus being akward about a refund

• 13-01-2019 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Last year my Uncle was booked to fly to New York with Aer Lingus. Aer Lingus showing their typical contempt for Shannon based passengers cancelled his flight 20 hours prior to departure. I then had to sort out the mess for my uncle from New York as I had just arrived there that morning myself with United otherwise we'd be on the same flight.

He was due to arrive in New York on a Friday and I could not get him on the following days flight and he had to wait until Sunday, we also changed the return so he still had his two weeks stay overall.

He is due €600 compensation for the cancellation as he was given 20 hours notice, I have been booking his ticket since around 2004 when online booking became the norm. He usually flys to the US once or twice a year.

I received this email reply from Aer Lingus today,
    Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting Aer Lingus.

I am sorry to learn your client was affected by the disruption to Aer Lingus flight EIXXX on Month XX, 2018. Please accept my apologies on behalf of Aer Lingus.

In this instance, Aer Lingus agrees that your client is entitled to a compensation per European Regulation 261/2004 Article 7 Paragraph 1. However, since you acted as a representative to your client, we would recommend you to submit a scanned copy of a Power of Attorney signed by your client together with the claim form to this email thread. Afterwards, we will process your claim for compensation immediately.

Please do not reply directly to this email as it will delay handling of your case. To send us a reply or to update your case please click here. Please include your case number, XXXXXXX, on all correspondence. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Guest Service Team
    Basically my uncle is not a client, I booked his flight and do all computer type work for him, he has 50% sight in one eye and fully blind in the other, he is in mid sixties and not technologically competent to do this.

Aer Lingus have admitted he is entitled to compensation as it is a cut/dry case. My plan was they'd pay it to myself and I give him the cash after as this is how we always do things. I book and pay the flight and he gives me the money after.

I don't want to do power of attorney as I am not in the legal profession, I actually don't even fully understand it. Aer Lingus seem to think I am some flight compo agency representing my uncle when I am not.

What would be the best way to proceed here, he is due €600 and since Aer Lingus were busy cancelling Shannon based flights all summer (plane shortages) it is no harm to make them pay up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

The power of attorney thing is to make sure you don't do a runner with your uncles refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You're acting on his behalf, or representing him, therefore they need power of attorney, or the customer to deal directly with them. You seem to be third party in the transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Mr.S wrote: »
    This is normal and usually always done. As your uncle is the named passenger, they will only deal with him unless you have power of attorney (a fancy word for acting on behalf of them)

You should have just written in as your uncle, not yourself.

exactly they would never have known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is one of these cases where its just easier to do the minor "fraud" tbh and I cannot see any reason not to.

Reapply as him, using different text in any comments fields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

This is what I was thinking, I made a feck of it, I'll write in as him again and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I don't actually think they are being awkward - lots of companies do not deal with 3rd party queries (which is in effect what you are) without authorization from the individual.

Advertisement