Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Movie World

• 13-01-2019 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

So I just went to see Stan & Ollie in Mayo Movie World this afternoon. For the first time in 30 years going to the cinema, I felt like going out to throttle the staff..
    I've never been to a film where a group were allowed to continually cause disruption for the entire film..

And to the airhead, who decided to bring four young kids to this type of film, two of which were old enough to behave themselves, I hope they wreck your head just as much for the rest of the week.. Bringing kids to a film about comedians from nearly a century ago....????? Couldn't be arsed to look after them so you enflict them on the rest of us.
    They ruined what would have been an enjoyable film, running up and down the aisles, talking loudly for the whole screening and running in and out between seats..

Don't think any other cinema I've been to would put up with that carry on, won't be going back there in a hurry...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

UsBus wrote: »
    So I just went to see Stan & Ollie in Mayo Movie World this afternoon. For the first time in 30 years going to the cinema, I felt like going out to throttle the staff..
    I've never been to a film where a group were allowed to continually cause disruption for the entire film..

And to the airhead, who decided to bring four young kids to this type of film, two of which were old enough to behave themselves, I hope they wreck your head just as much for the rest of the week.. Bringing kids to a film about comedians from nearly a century ago....????? Couldn't be arsed to look after them so you enflict them on the rest of us.
    They ruined what would have been an enjoyable film, running up and down the aisles, talking loudly for the whole screening and running in and out between seats..

Don't think any other cinema I've been to would put up with that carry on, won't be going back there in a hurry...

did you complain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

irishgeo wrote: »
    did you complain?

Was going to, but there was only a young fella serving popcorn so I didn't bother..
    It's was the fella with the kids running riot that were the issue not the lad in the minimum wage job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Hardly the cinema's fault so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

To be honest the problem encountered wasn't caused by the cinema.

Mayo Movie World itself is a terrible Cinema. I find it filthy, dated and in need of a serious makeover. I much prefer Westport or Ballina cinemas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭kegg

Why didn't you complain to the 'airhead'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

You do know this isn't Facebook don't you?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If you didn't complain then its not the cinemas fault.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They probably would have given you your money back if you went out and complained, or at least given you a free ticket to another showing.

Also, rule of thumb for any cinema, not just mayo movie world, avoid like the plague at the weekends. Midweek showings are the best, even better if it's during the day when most people are at work/in school. No harm to wait until a film is on it's second or third week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Hardly the cinema's fault so

Agreed, I had a rant in the heat of the moment. I just felt they could do more to cut out the messing in the screening. Everyone shouldn't suffer because of one group. As for complaining to the lad with the kids, he didn't look the sharpest tool in the box. Watched him put his drink on the roof of his car outside and then get in and shut the door......probably getting to it now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Agreed, I had a rant in the heat of the moment. I just felt they could do more to cut out the messing in the screening. Everyone shouldn't suffer because of one group. As for complaining to the lad with the kids, he didn't look the sharpest tool in the box. Watched him put his drink on the roof of his car outside and then get in and shut the door......probably getting to it now..

Rants are good sometimes.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with others either. The onus shouldn't be on you to leave the movie and complain. A well run cinema would have staff pop in and out to check on screenings.

But I would have mentioned it myself failing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

one of my visits midweek, they didnt even bother cleaning the cinema between screenings, so me and the gf had to find seats among discarded popcorn and drinks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

irishgeo wrote: »
    one of my visits midweek, they didnt even bother cleaning the cinema between screenings, so me and the gf had to find seats among discarded popcorn and drinks.

That's disgusting.
    I got to Westport any more. They have done nothing to cbar in ten years I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah its barely passable as a cinema alright. There doesn't seem to be any love or attention gone into it whatsoever. As for the kids, some parents just couldn't give a f**k unfortunately. Completely clueless.

I brought the little fella to a kids screening over the holidays and even at that I made sure he was on his best behaviour. While I agree it probably would have been best to tackle the issue by telling staff, It probably wouldn't have even been worth your while complaining to the Dad. I could only imagine the sort of scene he would have probably kicked up if he's the kind of parent to let the kids run riot like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's very, very grubby.
    No excuse for not being clean and tidy.
    They'd definitely get more custom with just a little effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The first and last time I ever went to the cinema in the afternoon was in MMW back in 1992 to see Batman Returns. I couldn't hear the dialogue because it was full of kids making noise and I think the sound system wasn't very good either. Never again. Lesson learned is never go to the cinema in the afternoon especially at the weekend if you don't want to be disturbed by a 'family friendly' environment.

Fastforward to 2016 I went to see Star Wars reboot in MMW in the evening. Screen 5 or 6. It was awful. The heating was turned up to the last, the quality of the picture and sound was terrible. I would describe the place as 'murky'. Will never step foot in the place again. Needs a serious makeover if not bulldozed. Plus that whole area where it resides is a bit of a kip to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

AllForIt wrote: »
    The first and last time I ever went to the cinema in the afternoon was in MMW back in 1992 to see Batman Returns. I couldn't hear the dialogue because it was full of kids making noise and I think the sound system wasn't very good either. Never again. Lesson learned is never go to the cinema in the afternoon especially at the weekend if you don't want to be disturbed by a 'family friendly' environment.

Fastforward to 2016 I went to see Star Wars reboot in MMW in the evening. Screen 5 or 6. It was awful. The heating was turned up to the last, the quality of the picture and sound was terrible. I would describe the place as 'murky'. Will never step foot in the place again. Needs a serious makeover if not bulldozed. Plus that whole area where it resides is a bit of a kip to say the least.

You went to Mayo Movie World in 1992? That would be impossible as it didn't open until the late 90's? The County Cinema on Lucan Street was the only cinema in Castlebar in 1992

You went to Mayo Movie World in 1992? That would be impossible as it didn't open until the late 90's? The County Cinema on Lucan Street was the only cinema in Castlebar in 1992

The poster went to the cinema in the afternoon, didn't say which cinema :)
    Think they were just saying don't go to the cinema in the afternoon.

Your right, it was Lucan Street cinema in 1992. Well spotted : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

yop wrote:
    The poster went to the cinema in the afternoon, didn't say which cinema Think they were just saying don't go to the cinema in the afternoon.

They said they went to Mayo Movie World MMW in 1992

They said they went to Mayo Movie World MMW in 1992

Bigger glasses for me! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭kegg

Lucan st? The cinema was on Spencer st.

kegg wrote: »
    Lucan st? The cinema was on Spencer st.

Yeah quite right. A little bit below the old style petrol station I think.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yeah quite right. A little bit below the old style petrol station I think.

Used to go out with someone who worked there, the joys of free films :D

Advertisement