Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alfred the Great

Options
  • 13-01-2019 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any memories of a film by this name made partly at any rate in Galway? It starred David Hemmings. Wondering about locations used.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I remember some scenes of Alfred being shot around Galway about 1960s ( I think )
    A firm O'Deas in Tuam were employed to make some furniture replicas of that period.
    E.g.a particular kind of three legged solid wooden chair.
    A wine bar in Westport - Tom's Gallery - still has one of these. I am sure Tom would have some more details on the making of that film

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭jeoun

Some scenes were shot near Knockma Hill in Belclare. I think there is a sign just before you start the hill walk with some information about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

A book came out last year to mark the movie's 50th anniversary. It is called "Viking Summer; MGM's filming of Alfred the Great in Galway" and is written by Mary J. Murphy and published by Knockma Publishing. Actually I see the book was first issued in 2008. Here is a link to Galway Advertiser article about it which also covers the movie: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/5331/the-making-of-alfred-the-great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Only watched it again a few weeks ago, it really is a masterpiece

Advertisement