Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens if I drive with an expired driving licence ?

• 13-01-2019 8:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35

My driving licence has almost expired.

I'm just wondering what are the consequences if I don't update my licence.

In the 10 years I have been driving I have never once being asked to produce a driving licence.

My car is fully tax and and insured but I don't see much point in updating my licence seeing that I've never needed to use it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 raabbles

The point is it's the law. Aside from that, its a lot less stressful to fill out a renewal form then deal with that one time you need it, followed by your car being taken and court.

Risk/reward is a no brainer here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

0/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Irexit wrote: »

In the 10 years I have been driving I have never once being asked to produce a driving licence.

My car is fully tax and and insured but I don't see much point in updating my licence seeing that I've never needed to use it.

You're not insured if ye haven't got a current licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Fann Linn wrote: »

Aaaaaaaand you bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Aaaaaaaand you bit.[/quote

I believe it's called 'check'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Just get the license ya lazy bastaad

Mod
    Warning to aaakev:
    Language!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

1994 Road Traffic Act requires you to carry a valid driving licence. If yours is almost out of date get booking an appointment fast, they book out weeks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

"Holds a licence, or having held a licence and is not disqualified from holding...."

You are insured with an expired licence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Being discovered not to be carrying a licence may result in a charge and conviction. That will result in penalty point and penalty points may lead to difficulties with insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Being discovered not to be carrying a licence may result in a charge and conviction. That will result in penalty point and penalty points may lead to difficulties with insurance.

There are no penalty points associated with no driving licence offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your house probably didn't burn down in that 10 years either but I bet you still pay the insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

"Holds a licence, or having held a licence and is not disqualified from holding...."

You are insured with an expired licence

I can never understand that clause. Why don't Insurance companies mandate a current licence when getting a policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

ezra_ wrote: »
    I can never understand that clause. Why don't Insurance companies mandate a current licence when getting a policy?

Troll thread, but anyway -

Why does it even matter? Not like a renewal comes from the result of a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ArrBee

A friend of mine had a license that was 10yrs expired.
    Didn't cop until he was asked for it when getting an NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Troll thread, but anyway -

Why does it even matter? Not like a renewal comes from the result of a test.

Licence enforcement in this country isn't great as it is. Having the insurers crack down on at least having a valid licence isn't a bad thing IMO

ezra_ wrote: »
    Licence enforcement in this country isn't great as it is. Having the insurers crack down on at least having a valid licence isn't a bad thing IMO

Meh, once a driver passes their test and applies for their licence, they are now 'licenced' to drive, the physical document to verify this comes with an expiry - however the driver's licencing does not expire. So it's a waste of time doing this.

Plus, there's already plenty sticks in the bag for beating Irish motorists, why add more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Sense of entitlement to not have a licence?

A person can renew their licence/permit 3 months in advance if the expiry date.

Anyone who has a licence that has lapsed, like the nct guy, shouldn’t be left near a motor vehicle.

It takes all of 10 seconds to take the licence/permit out of the wallet/purse/handbag to check the expiration date.

I’ve bern to the NDLS twice in the last 10 days without an appointment, fairly good service.

Is the fear of renewing the licence/permit the new fear of taking a test?

Entitlement yeah :rolleyes:

An expiry date has nothing to do with the ability to drive a motor vehicle. Hell a lot of licenced drivers have never even spent the 20 minutes demonstrating that they can actually drive a motor vehicle in the first place. The ability to walk into a NDLS office doesn't demonstrate it either.

It's a box ticking exercise in bureaucracy, that's all.

...however the driver's licencing does not expire...

Not sure the above is correct.
    After the document is expired there is a grace period to get it renewed, but after that you are no longer licensed to drive.

As mentioned above a friend had this happen recently.
    They had to start again as if the were applying for a new license.

But, I do agree the insurance companies should not be policing this.

• Advertisement

ArrBee wrote: »
    Not sure the above is correct.
    After the document is expired there is a grace period to get it renewed, but after that you are no longer licensed to drive.

As mentioned above a friend had this happen recently.
    They had to start again as if the were applying for a new license.

That would be news to me, I'm happy to be wrong if I can see something to confirm :)

Entitlement yeah :rolleyes:

An expiry date has nothing to do with the ability to drive a motor vehicle. Hell a lot of licenced drivers have never even spent the 20 minutes demonstrating that they can actually drive a motor vehicle in the first place. The ability to walk into a NDLS office doesn't demonstrate it either.

It's a box ticking exercise in bureaucracy, that's all.

Follow the UK so and issue until 70 years old is it with no renewal until then, not a chance in this great country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Why on earth would you want to take the risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Your insurance is invalid if you don’t have an up to date licence.

splinter65 wrote: »

That's already been debunked. In the thread.

splinter65 wrote: »

They’ll only pay out for third parties I believe but have a right of recovery

Meh, once a driver passes their test and applies for their licence, they are now 'licenced' to drive, the physical document to verify this comes with an expiry - however the driver's licencing does not expire.

This is nonsense. When your driving licence expires, you are no longer licensed to drive.
    That would be news to me, I'm happy to be wrong if I can see something to confirm :)

38.—(1) A person shall not drive a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place unless he holds a driving licence for the time being having effect and licensing him to drive the vehicle.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/38/enacted/en/html#sec38

If your licence expired more than 10 years ago and you want to get a new one, you are required to start from scratch - do the theory test, get a learner permit and do the driving test. But during that 10 years (after your licence expires), you are not licensed to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

ArrBee wrote:
    A friend of mine had a license that was 10yrs expired. Didn't cop until he was asked for it when getting an NCT.

They would have had to re sit the driving test in that case.

Cap in hand, I was way off. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

I havnt been asked for my licence in over ten years until last week when I was asked twice at two different check points, seems to be a bit of a crackdown lately.

superg wrote: »
    They would have had to re sit the driving test in that case.

Yes, he did!
    It was quite the mix up. Something about it being issued with a very short expiry in the 1st instance then it getting lost and him not bothering to replace it, then the changes in rules coming in for NCT and for the 1st time he was asked to produce the license which he didn't have. When he tried to get it replaced he was told it was expired.... by "just over" the threshold.

Makes for a funny story and a warning to others I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Renewed my insurance recently. They wouldn't accept until I sent in a copy of my licence.

I had to pay extra to take the OH off the policy because she misplaced hers

They’ll only pay out for third parties I believe but have a right of recovery
    Wrong. The conditions of insurance have not been violated.

Wrong. The conditions of insurance have not been violated.

So if someone has no licence just drive on the insurance is grand?

If they had a licence and are not disqualified then yes that is grand. Says so on every insurance certificate.

• Advertisement

If they had a licence and are not disqualified then yes that is grand. Says so on every insurance certificate.

Liberty still insists that the driver holds a 'valid' licence and there is no qualifier along the lines of 'or, having held a licence, is not disqualified...' which you will find in most policy documents.

Under the heading of 'General exceptions which apply to the whole policy', Liberty state the following.....

3. We will not cover the driver unless;

a they hold a valid licence to drive the vehicle; and
    b they meet the conditions and any limits of the driving licence.

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/assets/Uploads/Private-Vehicle-Policy-Booklet.pdf

Though the consensus in multiple discussions on boards is that they would not be able to refuse to pay out based on the driver's licence having simply expired.

Some insurance companies used to insist that the car was taxed as a condition of the policy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Every year when I'm renewing the car insurance, I have to show my driving licence too. Even for a friends car that I'm on the insurance, I have to show the Licence at renewal time. Haven't been asked by a Guard in donkeys years..

coylemj wrote: »
    Liberty still insists that the driver holds a 'valid' licence and there is no qualifier along the lines of 'or, having held a licence, is not disqualified...' which you will find in most policy documents.

Under the heading of 'General exceptions which apply to the whole policy', Liberty state the following.....

3. We will not cover the driver unless;

a they hold a valid licence to drive the vehicle; and
    b they meet the conditions and any limits of the driving licence.

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/assets/Uploads/Private-Vehicle-Policy-Booklet.pdf

Though the consensus in multiple discussions on boards is that they would not be able to refuse to pay out based on the driver's licence having simply expired.

Some insurance companies used to insist that the car was taxed as a condition of the policy!

It's interesting to note the wording, "we will not cover the driver", this may not create a right of recovery in itself against the policy holder as you still hold a valid policy open to claims made by a third party. It is also interesting to note that most exclusions apply to the "insured person", this clause specifically applies to the "driver" and the policy is held by the policy holder, not the driver nor the insured person.

As such I think such a policy clause only applies to a claim made by the driver in that capacity as opposed to the insured or a third party, contra proferentem may apply here also? So whilst the driver may not be covered themselves the policyholder still holds a valid policy.

It would be interesting to see if the Gardaí would even attempt a prosecution based on some obscure policy wording.

It would be interesting to see if the Gardaí would even attempt a prosecution based on some obscure policy wording.

Unless you're seriously pushing the boat out like running an illegal taxi service, the Gardai take the view that as long as you are not disqualified and can produce an insurance cert., you are insured to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

There are good reasons why not. Once a policy is issued on a vehicle any injured party is indemnified under the policy. That is the basic purpose of compulsory insurance. If the policyholder has breached a condition of the policy the insurer must pay the injured party but can sue their own policyholder. Under the EU insurance directives, cover can't be avoided because of the driver lacking a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Renewed my insurance recently. They wouldn't accept until I sent in a copy of my licence.

I had to pay extra to take the OH off the policy because she misplaced hers

I'm pretty sure that there is a procedure for replacing lost licences? And also for replacing out-of-date licences? Just depends on how long out of date they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

My renewal was up last year. I have never been stopped but I didn't want it expiring. Thought with an expired license you would have to go through the learning process again. Sure in hell, I won't be doing that.

Actually, what actually happens if you did let it expire.

My renewal was up last year. I have never been stopped but I didn't want it expiring. Thought with an expired license you would have to go through the learning process again. Sure in hell, I won't be doing that.

If a full licence is out of date 10 years then you start from the beginning, theory test, mandatory lessons etc, for a learner permit it’s 5 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

Just a quick Google and after 10 years without a renewal and you do have to go through the whole learning process again. I did that once. Won't be doing it again. It's way cheaper just to renew the license instead of the driver theory, 12 lessons and 6 month wait before applying for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

If you live close to the border then you'll be asked for it regular on both sides. Anyway in this day and age you would think you could have a digital copy on your phone,

4ensic15 wrote: »
    There are good reasons why not. Once a policy is issued on a vehicle any injured party is indemnified under the policy. That is the basic purpose of compulsory insurance. If the policyholder has breached a condition of the policy the insurer must pay the injured party but can sue their own policyholder. Under the EU insurance directives, cover can't be avoided because of the driver lacking a licence.

Claims by a third party can't be avoided, but "cover" for the policy holder can be if they so wish to have such a policy.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    If you live close to the border then you'll be asked for it regular on both sides. Anyway in this day and age you would think you could have a digital copy on your phone,

Could a digital copy not be easier to alter? Is that not why these microchips are in the new credit card style licence/permit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

GM228 wrote: »
    Claims by a third party can't be avoided, but "cover" for the policy holder can be if they so wish to have such a policy.

This is it exactly.
    You are still covered 3rd party once you took out the policy legally.(ie. had a licence at that time)

This 3rd party cover is still in place even if you are pissed drunk, out of your mind on drugs, have an expired licence or are driving like a complete maniac.
    Could a digital copy not be easier to alter? Is that not why these microchips are in the new credit card style licence/permit?

This is fraud and you can not take out a policy legally using fraud. Not having a licence would be the least of your troubles if you were caught doing this.

Advertisement