Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convalescent/ Recuperation Nursing Home

Options
  • 13-01-2019 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I’m looking for advice on a nursing home for my mother who is in her late 70’s and recovering from major cancer surgery. She needs a nursing home to help recover before she can come home. My dad is also unwell so cannot look after her and I can only take so many days off work which I am factoring into her care also. I’m having great difficulty in finding a suitable nursing home. As I research online, it seems to me that many nursing homes are more suited to elderly patients with dementia rather than recuperating after an illness. My mother is laid low right now but she is still a very alert woman who is normally very active and involved in her local community. I think she would find if difficult to cope if she was placed with patients with dementia. That isn’t where she is at right now. Can anyone advise me on names of nursing homes that focus on convalescence please? Preferably in North Dublin / North County Dublin / North ... East Meath??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I believe there is one in Drumcondra-would that be too far for you?
    Alternatively does the hospital or local health nurse have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

Anovocare or mowlan in swords do a lot of respite/convalescence so might be worth looking into. Best bet would be to talk to the discharge coordinator in her current hospital as they will know the local units best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you do a Google search under Convalescent Homes there are quite a few dotted around Dublin, mostly private though. The VHI also have a downloadable list. You'd probably have to phone them one by one to find one that suits your mother. There's a brand new nursing home that offers convalescence in Cloghran, just past the airport and behind the Coachmans Inn. They seem to have great facilities there: http://www.anovocare.ie

You could also try phoning your local health centre, I'd imagine they'll know of some. As far as nursing homes are concerned, most tend to have a mix of patients so not all would have dementia.

Edit: Trixirl beat me to it with Anovocare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Hi,

If she's still in hospital, you can refuse to take her home on the basis of her needing convalescence, there is a budget for it in surgeries, otherwise the staff nurse on duty can tell you where they send patients for recovery and that's really the next way to get recommendations for surgery recuperation.

No hospital will send her home if shes not up for it, so hopefully you can go down that route.

Hope she's recovering well after her surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Hi,

If she's still in hospital, you can refuse to take her home on the basis of her needing convalescence, there is a budget for it in surgeries, otherwise the staff nurse on duty can tell you where they send patients for recovery and that's really the next way to get recommendations for surgery recuperation.

No hospital will send her home if shes not up for it, so hopefully you can go down that route.

Hope she's recovering well after her surgery.

I know you mean well but this is why we have huge numbers of patients on trolleys. Refusing to take a relative home rather than find a suitable convalescence unit (which OP seems totally open to and is just looking for advice for) is very unfair on everyone waiting downstairs in ED.

Of course there are hardship cases but this doesn’t seem to be one and advocating blocking a bed seems extreme in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

TrixIrl wrote: »
    I know you mean well but this is why we have huge numbers of patients on trolleys. Refusing to take a relative home rather than find a suitable convalescence unit (which OP seems totally open to and is just looking for advice for) is very unfair on everyone waiting downstairs in ED.

Of course there are hardship cases but this doesn’t seem to be one and advocating blocking a bed seems extreme in this situation.

I also gave advise if that's not the case, sorry to offend anyone, this was obviously not my intention, hospitals automatically send patients on to convalescent homes after surgery, they don't block beds with patients who don't need them. All the major hospitals have beds close by in units specifically for the purpose of recovery and not to block beds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

My mother often went to this place for a few weeks post op.

Clontarf Hospital
    Address: Blackheath Park, Clontarf, Dublin, D03 K228
    Phone: (01) 833 2521

Also worth a try.
    Highfield Healthcare
    Address: Swords Rd, Whitehall, Dublin, D09 H343
    Phone: (01) 837 4444

After that it's trying to get a space in a nursing home.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Worth a try is the New Park Care Centre, the Ward, North Co Dublin. While it has a good number of dementia patients there is also a respite wing for those needing post operative care. Rooms are en-suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

If you do a Google search under Convalescent Homes there are quite a few dotted around Dublin, mostly private though. The VHI also have a downloadable list. You'd probably have to phone them one by one to find one that suits your mother. There's a brand new nursing home that offers convalescence in Cloghran, just past the airport and behind the Coachmans Inn. They seem to have great facilities there: http://www.anovocare.ie

You could also try phoning your local health centre, I'd imagine they'll know of some. As far as nursing homes are concerned, most tend to have a mix of patients so not all would have dementia.

Edit: Trixirl beat me to it with Anovocare!

I visited a resident in Anova last year. It is a nice place.

What was sitting on the window ledge outside the room?
    A black rabbit.:)

Anova have hens and rabbits on the grounds and in the courtyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    .....No hospital will send her home if shes not up for it....
    I'd totally disagree. One major Dublin hospital is constantly sending people home long before they are fit for discharge. It's a particular problem on Fridays as it appears that they are trying to clear the decks for the weekend. It just results in the patient having to be re-admitted again and the overall stay ends up being much longer, more inconvenient and more expensive than what it should have been. I won't even get into the absurdity of discharging elderly and frail patients in the early hours of the morning.

(I have to deal with such scenarios in work regularly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I'd totally disagree. One major Dublin hospital is constantly sending people home long before they are fit for discharge. It's a particular problem on Fridays as it appears that they are trying to clear the decks for the weekend. It just results in the patient having to be re-admitted again and the overall stay ends up being much longer, more inconvenient and more expensive than what it should have been. I won't even get into the absurdity of discharging elderly and frail patients in the early hours of the morning.

Totally agree with this. Up to recently, my mother was proof of this. The particular hospital couldn't wait to discharge her. She was back in again within 24hrs. The medical team got a piece of my mind that day. No respite required apparently. She subsequently passed away. The hospital referred to it as a "failed discharge ".

Advertisement