Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any Leaf L30 Firmware upgrades yet?

Options
  • 13-01-2019 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Have any L30 owners here got the firmware upgrade yet (4A to 4C I think)
    My wifes 161 Reg L30 is reporting low battery after 94km from a 100% charge, which would indicate that the computer thinks there is only 19.6kW available.
    If you have had it done, can I ask:
    1. Where did you get it done?
    2. Did they charge any money?
    3. What difference have you noticed?

Comments

https://insideevs.com/nissan-issues-software-fix-for-2016-17-leaf-battery-reporting-issues/

Be interesting to see if the same update was available here.

You should do a leafspy report on the battery and share it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

macnab wrote: »
    My wifes 161 Reg L30 is reporting low battery after 94km from a 100% charge, which would indicate that the computer thinks there is only 19.6kW available.

If its down to 19.6kWh Nissan should be fixing it under warranty

Thats nearly 70% SOH

For a barely 3 year old car that's ridiculous

Charge money?

I would be contacting Nissan Ireland for a new battery

Nevermind the software update, my tesco value battery is holding up better than that

Or else they sold you a 24kWh instead of 30kWh

That degradation/range makes no sense

Get leafspy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mike9832 wrote: »
    If its down to 19.6kWh Nissan should be fixing it under warranty

Thats nearly 70% SOH

For a barely 3 year old car that's ridiculous

Charge money?

I would be contacting Nissan Ireland for a new battery

Nevermind the software update, my tesco value battery is holding up better than that

Or else they sold you a 24kWh instead of 30kWh

That degradation/range makes no sense

Get leafspy

You've read it wrong Mike. There is currently no known extra degradation on the L30 over the L24. This software fix is to fix an issue specific to some early L30's where the BMS incorrectly calculates the SOH of the battery and hence reduces the range of the car. The battery itself does not have extra degradation and doesnt need replacing.

The software update is to report the correct value and hence give you back your range.

Many people in the UK have had the update done and got back between 2-7% SOH taking them back to ~95% SoH.... i.e. normal.

EDIT: @creedp, did you get it done?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108582906&postcount=7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

KCross wrote: »
    You've read it wrong Mike. There is currently no known extra degradation on the L30 over the L24. This software fix is to fix an issue specific to some early L30's where the BMS incorrectly calculates the SOH of the battery and hence reduces the range of the car. The battery itself does not have extra degradation and doesnt need replacing.

The software update is to report the correct value and hence give you back your range.

Many people in the UK have had the update done and got back between 2-7% SOH taking them back to ~95% SoH.... i.e. normal.

EDIT: @creedp, did you get it done?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108582906&postcount=7

Finally I'm getting it done this week. I've been advised quote Campaign No. P8318 to the dealer and all Irish dealers should then be able to update the software without issue

Currently I have 78k km on a 2016 L30 and Leafspy is reporting between 82% / 83% SOH which has resulted in a bar being dropped from the display. Back in April Leafspy was reporting SOH of approx. 92% / 93% so it has dropped significantly over that relatively short period.

Range has reduced significantly in recent weeks with the Low Battery warning kicking in at approx. 100 km from 100% charge. Hoping the upgrade will improve the range a little as I'm getting tired of looking for on-street e-car chargers for peace of mind top-ups!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Your stats sound horrible and actually worse than somewhat degraded 24 kWh battery would contain. If you are somewhere near North Kildare I can run LeafSpy on your car. I would actually start with checking if it actually is a 30 kWh battery in the first place. When the car was new(er) did you use to get 150 km+ from a charge?

As of 1 and 2: Any Nissan dealer should be able to do the upgrade of firmware for free. The car is still under 8 year battery warranty so you're covered (unless there is over 160k on the clock).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

When the car was new (to you) was the GOM showing showing significantly over 160km range? A healthy L24 will show around 160, so a healthy L30 should show a good bit more.

Reason I ask is there were one or two people on here that appeared to have been sold L30s with L24 batteries.

n97 mini wrote: »
    When the car was new (to you) was the GOM showing showing significantly over 160km range? A healthy L24 will show around 160, so a healthy L30 should show a good bit more.

Reason I ask is there were one or two people on here that appeared to have been sold L30s with L24 batteries.

The GOM in my car generally showed in the 150's to 170's range with the odd exceptional reading of between 180 to 190 during the Summer and that was when Leafspy was showing SOH values for approx. 92%. I've always been disappointed with the range and when I undertook 2 lengthy journeys of 350km each way early on in my ownership of the car I was always overestimating the range and regularly ended up at planned FCP stops with a less than comfortable remaining range. Haven't undertaken that journey since although that has a lot to do with concerns relating to the poor charging infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Thanks for the replies.

Its definitely a 30kw, I could to do up to 190km drives in it when it was new. The GOM regularly reported 240km+.

To be clear on this issue, the battery has not degraded to my knowledge.
    The computer has erroneously reduced the calculation for the ammount of energy available from 100%.
    This means that the Low Battery warning comes on even though there might still be up to 30% battery remaining.
    Reports have shown cars can be driven considerable distances with 0km on the GOM.

@creedp, can you update me on the results of the update when they are done.
    I have had no reply from Nissan yet so I am looking for any info I can quote.

@creedp, can you update me on the results of the update when they are done.
    I have had no reply from Nissan yet so I am looking for any info I can quote.

Dropped car in this am.
    Leafspy reporting SOC 83.2%, SOH 83.2%, Gids 263, AH 55.01
    Car Reporting SOC 87%, GOM 141

Picked up this pm
    Leafspy reporting SOC 82.8, SOH 91.22, Gids 286, Ah 60
    Car Reporting SOC 87%, GOM 163

Garage had no issue with firmware update and was done under warranty

• Advertisement

Nissan finally answered my emails, I am getting my cars firmware updated in a week or 2.

creedp wrote: »
    Dropped car in this am.
    Leafspy reporting SOC 83.2%, SOH 83.2%, Gids 263, AH 55.01
    Car Reporting SOC 87%, GOM 141

Picked up this pm
    Leafspy reporting SOC 82.8, SOH 91.22, Gids 286, Ah 60
    Car Reporting SOC 87%, GOM 163

Garage had no issue with firmware update and was done under warranty

What year is it ? how many Kms ?

What year is it ? how many Kms ?

March 2016 with 78k km

March 2016 with 78k km

Much the same loss as I experienced in the 24 kwh after 3 years and about 85,000 Kms. it will be interesting to see what the i3 says after 3 years and about 85,000 Kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

whats the i3 showing now?

March 2016 with 78k km

Mine is February 2016 with 74k km.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    whats the i3 showing now?

i3 ( 33 Kwh ) showing 100% after 1 yr 10 months and 45,300 odd Kms.

Slightly off topic but a Q for anyone using Leafspy. Last night the car was displaying 6% remaining with the GOM displaying no remaining range but Leafspy was reporting SOC of 14.8%!

Could I really have an SOC of 14.8% and approx. 15 -20kms remaining range when car is displaying 6%?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

AFAIK Leafspy looks at total battery including the "unusable" portion so if a newer car then yes, possible

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Slightly off topic but a Q for anyone using Leafspy. Last night the car was displaying 6% remaining with the GOM displaying no remaining range but Leafspy was reporting SOC of 14.8%!

Could I really have an SOC of 14.8% and approx. 15 -20kms remaining range when car is displaying 6%?

Yes but (Only) if you take it easy because at low voltages weaker cells can't deliver the power and will drop in voltage more if you push them causing what's known as "falling off the cliff" that means they will reach the cut off voltage well before the healthier cells and this will trigger turtle mode earlier than if you have a very, very light foot at much reduced speeds.

Falling off the cliff came from the fact that Li cells produce full power until the absolute end when they "fall off the clifff"

Again, leafspy clearly shows this and it clearly shows the cells recovering when you back off the throttle, hit the throttle and you can see those weaker cells dip again.

As the battery ages you will get less Kwh due to increased cell internal resistance so unless and on top of that reduced battery capacity and unless you drive it easy from say 20% you will not get the full remaining Kwh.

It's the same with fast charging, increased internal resistance will mean slower charging as it gets harder and harder for electrons to flow creating more heat.

• Advertisement

Yes but (Only) if you take it easy because at low voltages weaker cells can't deliver the power and will drop in voltage more if you push them causing what's known as "falling off the cliff" that means they will reach the cut off voltage well before the healthier cells and this will trigger turtle mode earlier than if you have a very, very light foot at much reduced speeds.

Falling off the cliff came from the fact that Li cells produce full power until the absolute end when they "fall off the clifff"

Again, leafspy clearly shows this and it clearly shows the cells recovering when you back off the throttle, hit the throttle and you can see those weaker cells dip again.

As the battery ages you will get less Kwh due to increased cell internal resistance so unless and on top of that reduced battery capacity and unless you drive it easy from say 20% you will not get the full remaining Kwh.

It's the same with fast charging, increased internal resistance will mean slower charging as it gets harder and harder for electrons to flow creating more heat.

OK thanks for the detailed explanation. So as usual its not that simple! I don't think I'd be comfortable relying on the higher SOC% on Leafspy to get me home late at night on a bank holiday Sunday night!!

What range do you need ? And what leaf 24 Kwh , 30 ?

What range do you need ? And what leaf 24 Kwh , 30 ?

I have an L30 and need a comfortable 140k for commute. Currently I might just get there if GOM was within 10-15km of real range displayed by car. If the leafspy SOC could be relied on then I would probably be OK but per your explanation it would depend on a number of factors including how light my right foot is!!

The battery controller firmware update did release a bit more range - before the update when the low battery kicks warning kicked it at 15% SOC the remaining rage displayed was approx. 20km while it is now approx. 30km. However in reality I'm not sure does it matter it reality as that 30km drops like a stone!

I normally top up by 10-20% each day to give me a comfort buffer in case I need to divert for any reason on way home which is a pain in the rear.

Yesterday evening I stopped for a splash and dash as Glasnevin FCP .. plugged in and all seemed well until got a 'charger problem' warning so unplugged and headed for Ashbourne FCP only to find a 191 Kona plugged in and the owner kindly advised me he would be there for another hour as least!! So I limped off at 90kmh displayed to Drogheda and plugged in to an SCP for a couple of Kwhs to get me safely home.

Kona's the latest horror story for EV drivers who just need a top up to get home as they will seriously hog free chargers get to their 60kwh of free juice. By the way before anyone says anything that is their right but it doesn't help the poor chap who can't get home for the sake of a kwh or so of juice and has no choice but to wait for someone to feast on 60kwh's of free juice allowing him/her to travel over 300km or whatever is the real range of the car. The real problem is the charging network that doesn't have multiple headed charger units.

Ah!! feel better after that!!

Yeah I feel your pain ! I had to endure Naas for 9 months , but I sometimes went to Newlands cross when working nights to avoid naas in the mornings but you'd be surprised how busy that was at 3am ! I frequently met a lady who had no home charging and was willing to use the chargers at all hrs, probably a night Owl and she was happy of the fact it cost her nothing to run so she endured it .

Yeah Kona drivers and all future 60 Kwh cars are going to put a huge strain on the network and I wonder how many people will actually need the 80-90 % charge int he Kona or are then yet again there for as much free juice as possible ?

Have you considered an i3 Rex ? 33 Kwh ? or perhaps the older 22 Kwh Rex ? you wouldn't get as fat on the 22 Kwh on leccy but the Rex would be worth a little bit extra to run.

Yeah Kona drivers and all future 60 Kwh cars are going to put a huge strain on the network and I wonder how many people will actually need the 80-90 % charge int he Kona or are then yet again there for as much free juice as possible ?

Very few will need to top up to 80 - 90% but many will take the opportunity unless charges are introduced

Have you considered an i3 Rex ? 33 Kwh ? or perhaps the older 22 Kwh Rex ? you wouldn't get as fat on the 22 Kwh on leccy but the Rex would be worth a little bit extra to run

I only have the L30 for 10 months so not really considering changing yet. Other than range issue for the commute the L30 is a fine car as it can comfortably sit 3 kids in the back and has a good sized boot to carry their gear around. Horses for course ...

We got the Firmware update today (Nissan Belgard) SOH was 87.52%, its now 93.23%.
    I dont know about range yet as the service guys didnt charge the car.

Advertisement