Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet app recommendations

Options
  • 13-01-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend an app without ads that is in some way educational (ie not just YouTube songs) for our 2 year old?

We don't mind paying for apps. The ads drive me nuts.

(Not looking for advice or condemnation re screentime here, it's for the once weekly lunch out where it's the tablet for an hour or else Mum and Dad get no peace.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I don't use apps, but I find the sesame street dvds excellent for educational content. I assume they have an app!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

It might not be what you're looking for, but have you come across Little Baby Bum on YouTube? Very educational- my wee boy isn't quite two yet, but has learnt his shapes from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

It might not be what you're looking for, but have you come across Little Baby Bum on YouTube? Very educational- my wee boy isn't quite two yet, but has learnt his shapes from it!

Yes he loves Little Baby Bum and Super Simple etc but I hate having volume on in restaurants etc and was just wondering if there was an app he could interact with instead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We use youtube kids. No ads. You can have different accounts and can block videos/channels you don't want your kid to look at. My girl loves the app, and she knows that she can only watch it if the volume is down low and if she insists that it's turned up too loud that we will take the phone off her. At this stage she pretty much watches it at near mute volume levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

OP, some of the CBeebies ones are good - we have a Hey Duggee app that allows you to draw and/or play games. It improves their hand-eye coordination I think.

There's also Peppa's Paintbox which is a drawing one. You can insert little Peppa-themed emojis and pics into your 'artwork'.

My girl also loves some of the jigsaw ones - I downloaded free versions, but I'm sure there are better quality paid ones out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Young kids dont usually get much from videos or apps that are considered educational. Whenever my kid played games it was stuff that had basic interaction and id let him watch whatever interested him, as long as it wasnt terrible (like those videos of people in kids character costumes playing out a kidnapping) and he was engaged in it, as opposed to zombied out by it. He's developed an insatiable taste in slapstick humour as a result.

Advertisement