Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Body fat scales

• 13-01-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Need to find good and not too expensive scales that will sync to Fitbit, I have had a look on Amazon but getting confused, some have great reviews but say the app is crap, some say all great but very expensive. Any recommendations?

I don't trust my scales :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think the consensus is they're not accurate for the bodyfat* etc., but that they do enable you to track trends.

Anyway, I got a Renpho one on Amazon last week, about half the price of the nokia equivalent. It syncs to app on the phone via bluetooth, and then onto Fitbit (and then on to myfitnesspal and Garmin connect, which is the only reason I'm using the fitbit app).

*a cycling podcast I listen too has tracked and compared scales to dexa scans (you can just rock up to get them in the US) over a number of years and found them pretty accurate though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Ordered! Thanks for that

Just to update after a few days using it. It's working well so far in terms of syncing to the fitbit app (and on to myfitnesspal and garmin connect), but you have to make sure you're in wifi coverage when you weigh in using the renpho app. It seems to push the data once you weigh, so if you're not in coverage at that point, the only way I can see to push it is a manual input when in range. Our en suite is as far from the router as you can get in the house so prone to dodgy wifi reception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Dingaan

These scales are part of today's lightning deals. I just ordered based on the feedback here and reviews on Amazon.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Macy0161 wrote: »
    *a cycling podcast I listen too has tracked and compared scales to dexa scans (you can just rock up to get them in the US) over a number of years and found them pretty accurate though.

What's the podcast? I'd be interested to hear what they say

• Advertisement

What's the podcast? I'd be interested to hear what they say
    TrainerRoad. They've a whole thread about it on their forum. Regular dexa scans v nokia, but also Garmin. As far as I've been able to work there's no difference in the scale technology, so it's really the software/ apps/ integration/ uploads that vary.

Dingaan wrote: »
    These scales are part of today's lightning deals. I just ordered based on the feedback here and reviews on Amazon.
    Thanks

I've received and been using for a week or so. Nearly sent them back cause I couldn't connect, my fault entirely, when you have the renpho app open you actually have to touch the found scales on the screen. Delighted with them, :)though I weigh a bit more than i thought ;))

Just to come back to this, I did the genofit study in UCD (I'd recommend it!), which included a dexa scan. The Renpho scales were further off than I'd have hoped for the Bodyfat (Renpho 20.5%, DEXA 12.5%), so I guess I was right with the initial track trends rather than the absolute. Unless all scales aren't created equal.

I'm still happy with the scales in general though. I'm now using smartscalesync.com, and it pushes my weight from the Fitbit app (which the Renpho App syncs with) to Garmin Connect (and onto My Fitness Pal), Strava, TrainerRoad.

Just to come back to this, I did the genofit study in UCD (I'd recommend it!), which included a dexa scan. The Renpho scales were further off than I'd have hoped for the Bodyfat (Renpho 20.5%, DEXA 12.5%), so I guess I was right with the initial track trends rather than the absolute. Unless all scales aren't created equal.

I'm still happy with the scales in general though. I'm now using smartscalesync.com, and it pushes my weight from the Fitbit app (which the Renpho App syncs with) to Garmin Connect (and onto My Fitness Pal), Strava, TrainerRoad.

Wow that's quite a difference between the DEXA scan and your scales... Thankfully in a good way.
    Did you check the calibration date on the DEXA scanner? :p

Did you check the calibration date on the DEXA scanner? :p
    Did I feck, I'm banking that one!

There doesn't seem to be an "athlete mode" on the renpho app, which some of the more expensive options have. I didn't really think it would be an issue as I understood it was for lifelong athlete, but I was at the good extremes of every metric* taken in the study so maybe I would've qualified. I must see where I'd be on calipers, if I can find them

*except upper body strength - definitely the upper body of a cyclists, even if the legs are often lacking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I have athlete mode available, under my account and then clicking on the top banner where my name and email is. There is a toggle there for it.

Thanks. I'll try to report back in the morning how it compares then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Very similar experience with Salter, constantly telling be I was 22-24% Dexa said 12.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Well athlete mode had me at 12.7% compared to 12.5% on the DEXA. That'll do (as well as the ego boost of being an "Athlete" apparantly :) )

What's the difference between Athlete mode and normal mode?

Different calculations. This is what the nokia site says...
    Wi-Fi Body Scale (WBS01) - Using the Athlete mode. Athletes generally have a different body type which requires a specific fat mass calculation algorithm. If you work out more than 8 hours a week and have a resting heart rate below 60 bpm, you may need to use the Athlete mode.

I've read mixed opinions on whether you should or shouldn't use it if you're anyway active, and I came down on the side of using "Normal" mode until yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

20.5% vrs 12.5% is a massive variation. Over 60% increase.
    Even if athlete mode corrects it. Seems like an arbitrary decision whether to flick a switch of not.

What metrics are these scales actually measuring?

Athlete Mode is supposed to account for greater muscle mass and less water retention, in people who train 8-10 hours or more a week. There's mixed opinions on their accuracy, but a few forums I follow have threads with people showing pretty accurate comparisons of bioimpedence v DEXA, albeit generally on more expensive options.

I only got them on the basis of potentially tracking relative trends, not absolutes, if I decided to do anything to change my body composition.. And the geeky syncing to other apps/ software I use. I was never that convinced, hence I never ponied up for the Nokia/ Withings/ Tanita/ Garmin options and went for cheaper. However, it is interesting that (albeit at a point in time) I'm lining them up quite well with a DEXA scan.

Are you all just getting a Dexa scan for fun? :D

How are you getting your information? I am due to have a dexa scan shortly because I keep breaking bones. Where will I find all this detailed info.

dragona wrote:
    Are you all just getting a Dexa scan for fun?
    I did it as part of the ucd genofit study. I don't think you can just rock up and get one here, as it's an x-ray.

I was also concerned about my bone density, being mainly about the bike, but turned out I was ok. Probably a legacy of being fat rather than anything I'm doing now.

If you can get the results, it's interesting. They only gave me results, I didn't get the print out showing where the fat was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Athlete Mode is supposed to account for greater muscle mass and less water retention, in people who train 8-10 hours or more a week.

I get think athletes will have lower bf%, more muscle mass generally.
    But doesn't the scale measure that directly with electrical current or what.
    At least you know to ysevathlete mode going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I did it as part of the ucd genofit study. I don't think you can just rock up and get one here, as it's an x-ray.

I was also concerned about my bone density, being mainly about the bike, but turned out I was ok. Probably a legacy of being fat rather than anything I'm doing now.

If you can get the results, it's interesting. They only gave me results, I didn't get the print out showing where the fat was.

Did you get told where you're more predisposed to store it? I went to the same study and they gave a ratio for where storage happens... can't exactly remember how it worked since it was a while ago.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Did you get told where you're more predisposed to store it? I went to the same study and they gave a ratio for where storage happens... can't exactly remember how it worked since it was a while ago.

Out of pure curiosity, what were your ratios?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    They didn't explain it that way, but I assume this is the hips v waist ratio. They did this both with a tape measure and from DEXA? They just said that was good and moved on tbh!

Advertisement