Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed up for Marathon......

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

crisco10 wrote:
    Gps watch isn't just about pace and time though..

The poster just said watch but in any case you don't need a gps to see how far you go. Adding 5 minutes each way to an out and back does the trick much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

OOnegative wrote: »
    How’s the hip?

How’s the form??

Had both done in late November so I’m rehabbing on the stationery bike and in the pool. Dark side here I come!

First check up with Pat Carton today so fingers crossed.

Sorry for derailing the thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Gavlor wrote: »
    How’s the form??

Had both done in late November so I’m rehabbing on the stationery bike and in the pool. Dark side here I come!

First check up with Pat Carton today so fingers crossed.

Sorry for derailing the thread!

Must be bored.... calling in here.....derailing our threads......just like old times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Must be bored.... calling in here.....derailing our threads......just like old times.

You still woosing out of marathons? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LadyT2018

I ran DCM2018 and signed up for DCM2019. I ran 3 times a week {Tues, Thurs, Sun} Tues & Thurs was 10KM and Sunday 14KM. I did this from January - Sept. In Sept I ran a half marathon in Kilkenny, the following week I ran another half in Dublin as part of the race series and 6 weeks later I ran the full marathon. My only advice to you would be not to overtrain and risk injury. Build your mileage slowly. Find a running buddy if you haven't one already, you need friends and laughter to get you through those long training runs. The most I ever ran was 20 miles 3 weeks before the actual marathon then we tapered off to save energy and the risk of injury.

A lot of people don't make it to the start line, they get injured before the day. If you make it to the start line you are already a hero! Enjoy the experience. The distance won't kill you, the pace will. Complete, don't compete. If you have a good mental attitude and you put in the miles it's doable. Last January I started with a 5-mile race (Terenure 5 mile) and I finished the year with 26.2 miles (Dublin City Marathon). Enjoy the journey... Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

LadyT2018 wrote: »
    I ran DCM2018 and signed up for DCM2019. I ran 3 times a week {Tues, Thurs, Sun} Tues & Thurs was 10KM and Sunday 14KM. I did this from January - Sept. In Sept I ran a half marathon in Kilkenny, the following week I ran another half in Dublin as part of the race series and 6 weeks later I ran the full marathon. My only advice to you would be not to overtrain and risk injury. Build your mileage slowly. Find a running buddy if you haven't one already, you need friends and laughter to get you through those long training runs. The most I ever ran was 20 miles 3 weeks before the actual marathon then we tapered off to save energy and the risk of injury.

A lot of people don't make it to the start line, they get injured before the day. If you make it to the start line you are already a hero! Enjoy the experience. The distance won't kill you, the pace will. Complete, don't compete. If you have a good mental attitude and you put in the miles it's doable. Last January I started with a 5-mile race (Terenure 5 mile) and I finished the year with 26.2 miles (Dublin City Marathon). Enjoy the journey... Good Luck.

Excellent feedback .... Thank you
    Got 5km in today and now have a running partner! Small steps

Irishder wrote: »
    Im in the same boat as yourself. My plan is as follows:

- Currently in week week 6 of coach to 10K
    - When that is finished i will begin building towards 1/2 marathon in June (Waterford).
    - Follow novice training plan on here to get around Dublin.

Sounds simple!! Best of luck

Hey how's the training going

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Not to discourage you or anything, but if it doesn’t work out.......I’ll take your entry:D

Candamir wrote: »
    Not to discourage you or anything, but if it doesn’t work out.......I’ll take your entry:D

Lol
    Are they sold out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

Soulsun wrote: »
    Hey how's the training going

Not too bad thanks. Starting week 10 of my 14 week 10K training program. Looking forward to the brighter nights as running on my own in the dark is getting a bit old :)

I am up to about 5 mile now and can feel the difference in fitness. Its amazing how fast you adapt.

I am looking for a 10K to 1/2 marathon training app/plan so if you come across one let me know. the C210K is great i would really recommend it.

How are you getting on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Lol
    Are they sold out?

Afraid so - sold out in early December (was injured then and unsure if I’d be able to ever run a decent distance again), but looks like there may be more made available at some stage. Fingers crossed!

Best of luck with it!

Not too bad thanks. Starting week 10 of my 14 week 10K training program. Looking forward to the brighter nights as running on my own in the dark is getting a bit old :)

I am up to about 5 mile now and can feel the difference in fitness. Its amazing how fast you adapt.

I am looking for a 10K to 1/2 marathon training app/plan so if you come across one let me know. the C210K is great i would really recommend it.

How are you getting on?

Picked up an injury there so only back in action again now.
    Did you do the c210k program?
    I may start that tmw.

I haven't run past 10k yet so no program's.

How many days a week are you running?

Candamir wrote: »
    Afraid so - sold out in early December (was injured then and unsure if I’d be able to ever run a decent distance again), but looks like there may be more made available at some stage. Fingers crossed!

Best of luck with it!

Email kbc :)

How are you getting on?

Picked up an injury there so only back in action again now.
    Did you do the c210k program?
    I may start that tmw.

I haven't run past 10k yet so no program's.

How many days a week are you running?
    Yeah I have about 4 weeks left. Found it really good

Running 3 days a week plan is to go to 4 or 5 when I start the marathon plan

Have you started the plan?

Do you get a receipt when you sign up for the marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Do you get a receipt when you sign up for the marathon?

You should have received a confirmation email which includes a unique order number.

You should have received a confirmation email which includes a unique order number.

Didn't get it ... But payment cleared my card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Didn't get it ... But payment cleared my card

It might have ended up in your junk folder, or the email address was wrong. I'd contact the organisers.

"Have you started the plan?"

No not started the marathon plan yet. I am starting into a half marathon plan this week. Plan on doing the Waterford viking half on 22nd June.

I have signed up for the 10K in Phoenix park in a couple of weeks so that will be my first event.

Bit behind on training recently as i was in and out of hospital for a few days and took a couple of weeks to recover. Hopefully it wont impact my 10K too much.

How are you getting on?

"Have you started the plan?"

No not started the marathon plan yet. I am starting into a half marathon plan this week. Plan on doing the Waterford viking half on 22nd June.

I have signed up for the 10K in Phoenix park in a couple of weeks so that will be my first event.

Bit behind on training recently as i was in and out of hospital for a few days and took a couple of weeks to recover. Hopefully it wont impact my 10K too much.

How are you getting on?

Started the higdon plan ... So far so good...
    Really conscience of injuries so taking my time
    Haven't signed up for any events yet
    Long run Saturday appears to be essential

Best of luck with training

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Slow runner GK

Hi , I'm new to Boards , I'd like to follow some people and get advice on the DCM2019 plans . I've done a HM this weekend & finish was 02.35. I'm entered for DCM & have some friends doing it also , but we find it hard get out same days for training, so I'm mostly running on my own. I will find long runs now very challenging on my own. Are there any groups around Dublin 15. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hi , I'm new to Boards , I'd like to follow some people and get advice on the DCM2019 plans . I've done a HM this weekend & finish was 02.35. I'm entered for DCM & have some friends doing it also , but we find it hard get out same days for training, so I'm mostly running on my own. I will find long runs now very challenging on my own. Are there any groups around Dublin 15. Thank you.

Hi Slow runner GK! We have a mentored novices thread here. Pop in and introduce yourself and give a little background of what training you are doing at present. There are lots of runners there of all levels training for their first marathon, you're more than welcome to join in.

Advertisement