Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing workstation

Options
  • 14-01-2019 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi,

I work for a large IT company and spend quite a lot of time sitting as I do a Support job.
    I enquired on a the possibility to have a sitting/standing desk and was asked if I had a special medical requirement. Looks like our company won't get any spending approval without medical requirement.

Just wondering if any one know what is there is any regulations linked to avail a standing workstation?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Do you have any issues with your posture, neck or back? Not aware of any regulations out there to support the use of standing desks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

Your probably better using the existing workplace mechanisms if they exist.

Is there a health and safety person/role?

if so can you request an office ergonomics audit of your desk environment. enlist this person to help make your desk environment better for you. Your company it may have budget allocated for DSE risk assessment and replacing equipment. its an area
    where a stitch in time saves money for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Why don't you just buy it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Buy one yourself, if your employer will let you fit it..

I googled and found this https://www.gostand.ie/products/desk-top-adjustable-workstation , not sure if it's suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Safety, Health & WELFARE at Work Act 2005 is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

if so can you request an office ergonomics audit of your desk environment. enlist this person to help make your desk environment better for you....

This is the best way to find out if you need a standing desk and for your employer to pay for it. I suspect some employers wont let employees purchase a standing/adjustable desk in case they buy a piece of rubbish like the one linked above on Amazon which may exacerbate any back or upper limb issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Tow

Go you your Dr and complain about your bad back when sitting and how standing helps. Ask if they can write a quick note to your employers saying the same. Better still, I see you are in a large company, so ask to see the company Dr.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Has anyone requested one of these in work and had it successfully put in? Or even bought one themselves and brought it into work?

As someone mentioned though, not sure what sort of person it would make you look like if everyone else is sitting.
    It's looking after your long term health though, considering the amount of time spent sitting down :confused:

My friend got one for work. He works in an American company. Once there's an occupation health department and a doctor note involved it's in everyone's interest to ensure people are comfortable at work.

In smaller companies it's probably more informal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

In a previous company where possible, all desks were adjustable height, motorised, which was excellent. In my next job I asked for a standing desk, but they bought a table top adjustable platform. It would have suited some, but as I'm fairly tall (189 cm) it didn't go up high enough, so I stopped using it.

Yeah i'm using one in my current job and love it, feel it has many benefits including productivity.

Have an offer of a new job with a much, much bigger firm, passed the interviews, and have received a verbal offer but no contract yet to sign.

I am unsure of whther to mention it or not, as it will be hard to go back to sitting all day.

Don't want to come across wrongly, making unreasonable requests, or put the position in doubt. If they say no, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Have an offer of a new job with a much, much bigger firm, passed the interviews, and have received a verbal offer but no contract yet to sign.

Don't mention it until you sign the contract.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I’m a Facility Manager and installing individual “sit-stand” desks presents a number of practical issues the least of which is cost! Our policy is to only install one in the case of a medically certified requirement.
    Having said that, when the time comes for new desks throughout the office I would be very surprised if “sit-stand” are not installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

As an aside to this discussion, I made my own standing desk for my laptop while WFH with a huge big pile of large books - one for laptop, another for mouse.

The years of acute neck pain I've suffered from has disappeared. I've spent so much on physios over the years and all for nothing when the answer to all my problems was just a couple of piles of books and standing for a few hours every day :D I also feel I have much more energy throughout the day and whole body feels stronger - glutes especially.

Ended up ordering a proper standing desk for the table but it's kinda awkward to work on, and a bit unsteady, so it's back to the piles of books for me :D Perfect!

Advertisement