Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian BIC rejected when adding payee in 365

Options
  • 14-01-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

I was adding a SEPA payee in 365online.
    The payee is in Italy and provided me with BIC and IBAN codes.

365 rejected the BIC saying that it was the wrong format for SEPA (I cannot generate the error message again as I got the payee added eventually)
    When I omit the BIC the payee is added but it returns with a completely different BIC.

I checked the IBAN at https://www.ibancalculator.com/iban_validieren.html
    and it returned the BIC that I expected.

The provided BIC is: IBSPITNAXXX
    365 returned: BCITITMMXXX

Seeing a completely different BIC is concerning as I am now unsure whether my money would go to the correct person.

I can PM the full IBAN if necessary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

daymobrew wrote: »
    I was adding a SEPA payee in 365online.
    The payee is in Italy and provided me with BIC and IBAN codes.

365 rejected the BIC saying that it was the wrong format for SEPA (I cannot generate the error message again as I got the payee added eventually)
    When I omit the BIC the payee is added but it returns with a completely different BIC.

I checked the IBAN at https://www.ibancalculator.com/iban_validieren.html
    and it returned the BIC that I expected.

The provided BIC is: IBSPITNAXXX
    365 returned: BCITITMMXXX

Seeing a completely different BIC is concerning as I am now unsure whether my money would go to the correct person.

I can PM the full IBAN if necessary.
    Hi daymobrew,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.
    Once the IBAN is fully correct the funds should reach the account as normal.
    Can I ask when you made the transfer to the Italian account?
    Thanks again,
    Darren.  

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Hi daymobrew,

Thanks again,
    Darren.  
    I made the transfer at around 12:10pm today.

While I understand that the IBAN is the full bank account information and the BIC is only the branch, I would like the issue to be investigated as the error message would frustrate and confuse other bank customers. Obviously when 365online returned a completely different BIC from that which I was expecting, it caused me concern.

Hi daymobrew,

Thanks again,
    Darren.  
    I made the transfer at around 12:10pm today.

While I understand that the IBAN is the full bank account information and the BIC is only the branch, I would like the issue to be investigated as the error message would frustrate and confuse other bank customers. Obviously when 365online returned a completely different BIC from that which I was expecting, it caused me concern.

Thanks for that daymobrew.
    Can I ask if you have double checked the BIC with the sending bank and attempted to enter it without the X's when adding it to your payee's? As the 365 system would usually only reject a BIC when it doesn't match the IBAN that has been entered.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

I initially entered it without the Xs (IBSPITNA) and then tried with them (IBSPITNAXXX) but neither worked.
    I don't know how I would check it with the Italian bank.

Would you like me to delete the payee and try again so that I can give you the exact error message and a screenshot?

I initially entered it without the Xs (IBSPITNA) and then tried with them (IBSPITNAXXX) but neither worked.
    I don't know how I would check it with the Italian bank.

Would you like me to delete the payee and try again so that I can give you the exact error message and a screenshot?

Thanks for that. Could I ask you to contact the Person that holds the account your transferring to and ask them to confirm the BIC with there Bank as it may be that you were given an incorrect BIC and that is why it wasn't accepted.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Advertisement

The money arrived at the payee in Italy.
    The language barrier would be a problem when asking to confirm the BIC.

I still believe that there is an issue with the 365online check because the payeee gave me one BIC and I got the same BIC when I used the IBAN Calculator website.

I am happy to PM the IBAN.

The money arrived at the payee in Italy.
    The language barrier would be a problem when asking to confirm the BIC.

I still believe that there is an issue with the 365online check because the payeee gave me one BIC and I got the same BIC when I used the IBAN Calculator website.

I am happy to PM the IBAN.

Thanks for that daymobrew. I can confirm that the BIC would only be rejected if it didn't match the IBAN given. If there would be any way that you could contact the payee and ask them to double check the BIC as unlike in Ireland Banks based on the continent can have more than one BIC number and the one you have been given may be in relation to a different region to where the account is actually based.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

Advertisement