Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mould on bathroom ceiling

• 14-01-2019 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭

We're having an issue atm in our rented apartment with mould/mildew on the painted bathroom ceiling.

I've had a look at the various sprays available, but the majority of them say not to use on painted surfaces or don't specify one way or the other. Can anyone recommend something that will kill the mould without damaging the paint?

I'd rather deal with this myself if possible without having to involve the landlord or letting agency (just given the current climate I'd rather keep our heads under the radar).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Get Real

If you don't want to involve the landlord, I'd go ahead and use the spray on. Then wait a few days and paint over it in anti mould paint.

That or get a dehumidifier for that room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks Get Real. I was hoping there might be a solution that doesn't involve repainting though? Just a spray that it strong enough to kill the mould without damaging the paint. Maybe that's not a runner though? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The problem is you have to get it off before its eats into the paint and the plasterboard beneath.

Lots of stuff on the web about this. It will keep coming back unless you have improve ventilation, make a barrier layer it can't get though.

I think the increase in internal bathrooms with inadequate ventilation, and no windows make it much more common these days. Also people take longer showers.

Yeah the main problem is that there is no window. There's just a small extractor fan installed. It's a very small bathroom too, so we wouldn't even have the room to put a dehumidifier in there if we went down that route.

We've been there a couple of years and this has only become a problem more recently though. We've had mould on the tiles in the bathroom before, but that's easy to get rid ourselves with a spray. I'm just very relucant to do anything that might damage the paint. It's just a very thin layer atm, so was hoping there might be an easy way to nip it in the bud. It actually come away very easily when you wipe it with a dry tissue, but obviously that's a bad idea for spreading spores etc and won't actually get rid of the problem.

Sounds like it's not really an easy fix though and we may need to go to the landlord? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

Take the fan off and dust it and ensure the extract duct is clear to outside, they can gunk up with dust and debris over the years. Leave the fan on and door open for around 15 minutes after showering.

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Take the fan off and dust it and ensure the extract duct is clear to outside, they can gunk up with dust and debris over the years. Leave the fan on and door open for around 15 minutes after showering.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah we leave the fan on and the door open for as long as possible in the mornings before we head to work.

That might help prevent it happening in future, but there's still problem of the existing mould. The more I think about it, the more I think maybe we need to involve the landlord / letting agency :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any Mould Spray will do it, or any bleach spray that has clinging capabilities (foamer) Like Flash Bleach Spray.

It has to stay on the surface to be able to kill the mould.

The painting side of things..... it white paint afterall its not going to kill ya to paint 2 meters squared of white paint :) I wouldnt concentrate on finding something that saves the white ceiling paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Staplor

Rub a bit of bleach on it, be grand.

Should cost you one cloth, and a small bit of bleach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The "astonish" range is great, you'll get it in Mr Price

Astonish mould and mildue cleaner.

If its early on the mould will wipe off without damage to the paint, if its already stained the paint there is noting you can do..

If you dont want to spray the area directly just spray plenty onto a cloth and wipe the surface.

Damage to the paint due to mould is "wear and tear" on a property, and landlords accept this providing you dont leave it get out of control. (im a landlord myself)

Also, when you have it clear the same spray can be applied to the surface regularly to keep away mould, use it at home myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've seen this on other countries but not here.

Why can't there be a plastic panel that fits the whole roof slightly angled do condensation runs off it, back into the shower?

or even just over the shower with a mean to stop the steam/moisture escaping to the rest of the ceiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

beauf wrote: »
    I've seen this on other countries but not here.

Why can't there be a plastic panel that fits the whole roof slightly angled do condensation runs off it, back into the shower?

or even just over the shower with a mean to stop the steam/moisture escaping to the rest of the ceiling.

You can do this easily. It's just not common.

I looked into this when renovating the bathroom and it's surprisingly expensive to have a plastic paneled roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Keep cleaning with bleach solution. The paint is damaged by the mould regardless

Advertisement