Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foreign friend visiting Ireland. Affordable tour options?

• 14-01-2019 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,
    So, I have a friend from abroad that i met on erasmus in college and he would love to visit Ireland. We've just started seriously talking about it and i've realised I haven't a notion of how to organise it :eek:
    I live in Dublin which i know he would like to see but I want to show him more of the country too. The unfortunate thing is I can't drive and we're both a bit low on funds so I want to try to do it as affordable as possible (hard when it comes to tourist spots I know). I thought of booking onto a tour but the only company I know is CIE and they were asking for crazy money.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    (The plan is he comes for about 4 days in March/April. I would love to bring him to the West or maybe down to Killarney. Belfast?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Check out the "Paddy Wagon" tours, I know nothing about them except their buses are always doing the Ring of Kerry.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

vgf1995 wrote: »
    Hi,
    So, I have a friend from abroad that i met on erasmus in college and he would love to visit Ireland. We've just started seriously talking about it and i've realised I haven't a notion of how to organise it :eek:
    I live in Dublin which i know he would like to see but I want to show him more of the country too. The unfortunate thing is I can't drive and we're both a bit low on funds so I want to try to do it as affordable as possible (hard when it comes to tourist spots I know). I thought of booking onto a tour but the only company I know is CIE and they were asking for crazy money.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    (The plan is he comes for about 4 days in March/April. I would love to bring him to the West or maybe down to Killarney. Belfast?)

Dublin for a night , then regular bus to Galway (cheaper than the train) one night in Galway . From Galway get a day bus tour plenty of choice including islands if needed and not very expensive.
    Then it’s your choice cork or up to Belfast you probably won’t fit all you want to do into 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I did the Game of Thrones tour in NI and it was brilliant

If you’re not fans of the show they have other tours

https://www.mccombscoaches.com/tours/game-of-thrones-tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Years ago, with family staying with me in Dublin and also with budget very much in mind we did:
    -day trip to Glendalough by bus with St. Kevins Bus Service
    -day trip by Kilkenny by normal bus
    -2/3 nights in Galway: first day, visiting Inishmore; second day, bus tour (I think it was with Lally) to Burren and Cliffs of Moher,

Other cheap day trips from Dublin are:
    -Powerscourt (the waterfall is very famous abroad and featuring in a lot of movies) , you can get there with Dublin Bus;
    -Trim Castle;
    -Newgrange & Boyne Valley tour with Bus Éireann

Advertisement