Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭vqr2a0kg3lywos

Gonzo wrote: »
    With Siro and OpenEir now offering max 100 upload on their most expensive resident plans and Virgin Media just 50, it's going to be perhaps a few years before we start seeing uploads going north of 100 without having to pay several 100 euros per month if you want uploads in excess of 100.

That's fine by me to be honest.

100mb through fibre vs 10-15~ through fixed wireless is a HUGE upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

z0oT wrote: »
    Is there any significance in these kind of markings on the "Eircom" labelled manole covers? I noticed them today, but I'm almost certain they weren't there a number of weeks ago.

This text just appeared on an Eir manhole outside my parents house.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is there any significance in these kind of markings on the "Eircom" labelled manole covers? I noticed them today, but I'm almost certain they weren't there a number of weeks ago.

523892.jpg

At a guess those are cab codes, OEs systems ID them by three digits counting upwards. Usually 001 to 060 ish in bigger exchanges. With VDSL there are cab pairs thus the A.

It may just be handy for fault finding works if there are two cabs servicing the same streets. Babihrse would be the one to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

We're currently just about to move into a new build (should close next week), these manholes are just outside the new house. It's an estate on the outskirts of Limerick city that has been extended. All of the existing estate is currently setup with Eir & Siro FTTH (according to online checkers), some of the houses also have Virgin available to them.

The newly built square with 16 houses (of which we're one) currently isn't yet setup for either, we would be 10-20m away from the houses that are connected. The million dollar question is when I can expect us to be connected?

We just got 1Gbps FTTH in rural Tipperary last month (where we're living currently), and I'll be moving back to 4G while I'm waiting to be connected in Limerick which is a bit of a sickener.

523892.jpg

523893.jpg

It means the 7th dp on the a switch comes through to that manhole the 8th in the next and so on the dp will usually be 003007a the a denotes that they'd all be going back to the same point in the splitter further on you'll see them start over on a b circuit. If you plug a fibre cable in 007a or 008a there's a fair chance it'll work and lock on. However if you plug someone who's meant to be on an a but plug them into a b there's no chance of it synching up. The numbers are just telling the people installing the boxes which box to put the dps

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

babi-hrse wrote: »
    someone who's meant to be on an a but plug them into a

tenor.gif?itemid=4628820

• Advertisement

I have seen an area where they ran out of ports. The resident told me they had been trying to get fibre for ages but provider kept sending out orders for copper lines. It was a new ftth only estate. Checked airwires checker and saw no ports available
    Checked dp and all ports were full. So I explained why provider was likely they kept sending out copper order because they couldn't fulfill a fibre order. The homeowner then told me that there were originally meant to be less houses in the estate but after all were built 3 more that weren't on original plans just got added afterwards which might explain the lack of spare ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

It means the 7th dp on the a switch comes through to that manhole the 8th in the next and so on the dp will usually be 003007a the a denotes that they'd all be going back to the same point in the splitter further on you'll see them start over on a b circuit. If you plug a fibre cable in 007a or 008a there's a fair chance it'll work and lock on. However if you plug someone who's meant to be on an a but plug them into a b there's no chance of it synching up. The numbers are just telling the people installing the boxes which box to put the dps

To my knowledge those manhole coverings had no markings 2/3 weeks ago.

I know time frames are impossible to call, but in terms of the steps that have to be taken before one can order FTTH on that street, how far along the process is it likely to be at this stage?

To my knowledge those manhole coverings had no markings 2/3 weeks ago.

I know time frames are impossible to call, but in terms of the steps that have to be taken before one can order FTTH on that street, how far along the process is it likely to be at this stage?

I'm not sure anyone knows. Can be up to 6 months
    They tend to get done in tranches so if one part of an estate is getting built and another was built and finished with residents having moved in six months ago and they just went live you can assume the same timescale from when theirs started months before. Lot of builders will only build one strip then after recouping their costs move onto the next rinse and repeat. I know that explanation is a bit murky but I didn't get much sleep and can't clear it up any more than that right now.

I'm not sure anyone knows. Can be up to 6 months
    They tend to get done in tranches so if one part of an estate is getting built and another was built and finished with residents having moved in six months ago and they just went live you can assume the same timescale from when theirs started months before. Lot of builders will only build one strip then after recouping their costs move onto the next rinse and repeat. I know that explanation is a bit murky but I didn't get much sleep and can't clear it up any more than that right now.

No problem - thanks for your posts. It's an area I don't know a lot about so I am curious.

Just to give context, the estate looks like this. The houses I've circled in green are already connected for FTTH having been built 4/5 years prior.

The area in red is the newly built area. Numbers 1-6 in the new area were finished mid last year andhad people move into them around then, but they're not connected yet. Numbers 7-16 have only just been completed in the last 2/3 weeks. I always assumed the whole area (Numbers 1-16) would have to be finished before there would be any movement on FTTH in the newly built area.

523996.png

At least, it's refreshing that there's now some signs of early activity in the area.

I have seen an area where they ran out of ports. The resident told me they had been trying to get fibre for ages but provider kept sending out orders for copper lines. It was a new ftth only estate. Checked airwires checker and saw no ports available
    Checked dp and all ports were full. So I explained why provider was likely they kept sending out copper order because they couldn't fulfill a fibre order. The homeowner then told me that there were originally meant to be less houses in the estate but after all were built 3 more that weren't on original plans just got added afterwards which might explain the lack of spare ports.

Not what I wanted to hear....although it wouldn't surprise me!

It's a bit of a weird one where the estate has been here 10 years, but when we bought 2.5 years ago it was a brand new house, was it was just a shell for years the previous 6-7 years.

Eir did some work in the estate last year, but not sure exactly what they did, so it's hard to tell when the DPs were put in.

Interestingly the DPs I know about are in between my house, and the newest houses in the estate (which were built AFTER the original estate was finished). So when I moved in they didn't even exist, not even a shell.

They have worked on other manholes in the estate near older houses, so I'm hoping that means there are other DPs, but it's hard to say for certain.

Would be gutted if only the newest houses could get it, and the rest of the estate was left with nothing.

• Advertisement

Not what I wanted to hear....although it wouldn't surprise me!

It's a bit of a weird one where the estate has been here 10 years, but when we bought 2.5 years ago it was a brand new house, was it was just a shell for years the previous 6-7 years.

Eir did some work in the estate last year, but not sure exactly what they did, so it's hard to tell when the DPs were put in.

Interestingly the DPs I know about are in between my house, and the newest houses in the estate (which were built AFTER the original estate was finished). So when I moved in they didn't even exist, not even a shell.

They have worked on other manholes in the estate near older houses, so I'm hoping that means there are other DPs, but it's hard to say for certain.

Would be gutted if only the newest houses could get it, and the rest of the estate was left with nothing.

They may have started works for the 1 - 6 DP and then only gotten to the ducting stage for the rest but it's reasonable to assume from how you said it that they would have all the new ones at the same stage.
    As the only one who can tell you for certain when it's ready is the man putting the light into them.
    At the least I can say it'll have to be two DPS one for each side of the road as the max number of ports that can fit in one is 12

They may have started works for the 1 - 6 DP and then only gotten to the ducting stage for the rest but it's reasonable to assume from how you said it that they would have all the new ones at the same stage.
    As the only one who can tell you for certain when it's ready is the man putting the light into them.
    At the least I can say it'll have to be two DPS one for each side of the road as the max number of ports that can fit in one is 12

There's about 75+ houses in the estate in total!

But again, hard to know exactly how many DPs etc are under the ground around the whole estate.

Will try and find out how much more work has to be done, then I'll just cross my fingers that my Eircode shows up on the availability check as available soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Quick question, what sort of time frame would you expect from engineers laying fibre to the kerb before they start actually selling FTTH.

The engineers working about 4 weeks ago said they were doing FTTK and companies should shortly be offering FTTH but as I said "how long" do people reckon shortly is?

There's about 75+ houses in the estate in total!

But again, hard to know exactly how many DPs etc are under the ground around the whole estate.

Will try and find out how much more work has to be done, then I'll just cross my fingers that my Eircode shows up on the availability check as available soon...

Worst fears confirmed.

Ours was a "new" house 2.5 years ago, but the shell of the house was here for about 8-10 years along with rest of the estate.

They are only putting in FTTH for 12 houses just to the side of my house, about a 20 second walk. And they're also doing another 4 around the back which were built after I move in from scratch (no shells).

Gutted!

16 houses out of about 75+ are getting FTTH, rest of us can't even get FTTC properly :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Quick question, what sort of time frame would you expect from engineers laying fibre to the kerb before they start actually selling FTTH.

The engineers working about 4 weeks ago said they were doing FTTK and companies should shortly be offering FTTH but as I said "how long" do people reckon shortly is?

6 months from seeing them first seems to be normal enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Rew wrote: »
    6 months from seeing them first seems to be normal enough

Another 3 months or so then, maybe I'll get it in as an Xmas pressie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Have more action in my area today after weeks of nothing, several KN/Circet crews with a small digger

Excuse the nosey norris work from home detail but stuck on rubbish fixed wireless for years...

15th July - KN/Circet team that were installing underground fibre ducting, with some poles having a black ducting cable spooled off quarter way up the pole
    29th July - Eir crew out replacing telephone poles
    26th August - Several KN/Circet crews with a mini-digger fixing two collapsed ducting pipes, asked one of them and they said the ducts are now completely clear to the interconnect

Think the next steps are then

- Crew to blow the fibre through the fibre ducting
    - Another crew to install the distribution points on poles and splice ?
    - Final step, provision at main exchange so that customers can order ?

The journey continues..

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

The area in red is the newly built area. Numbers 1-6 in the new area were finished mid last year andhad people move into them around then, but they're not connected yet.

Numbers 7-16 have only just been completed in the last 2/3 weeks. I always assumed the whole area (Numbers 1-16) would have to be finished before there would be any movement on FTTH in the newly built area.

523996.png

At least, it's refreshing that there's now some signs of early activity in the area.

An update - The online checker on Eir's website now says FTTH is available in numbers 15 & 16, but not in numbers 1-14. Some of the other house addresses don't even pop up in their system.

It's a bit bizarre, given those two were just built in the last 6 or so months, and their eircodes would be the newest. Airwire's checker which is generally the go to checker doesn't even recognise those eircodes.

I suspect it'll be corrected as the eircodes and various databases are updated. Is this a sign that the fibre has actually been laid in the estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

OpenEir are now pumping fibre in the Garrankeel/Belleek area outside of Ballina. OpenEir guy said the roll-out is nearly finished, just the DPs to be done.

Not sure if this is the correct forum as my parents house (where OpenEir has now pumped fibre too) is on the NBI roll-out (NBI guys were around last week saying they will cover my parents house) and it is 1.5km away from Ballina.

I assume Eir are covering the Garrankeel/Belleek area as part of the Ballina urban roll-out, even though all houses are in the NBI roll-out (it is not shown as part of Eir's rural roll-out).

• Advertisement

same as my area

eir ifn moving into certain areas that the nbi are covering also

eir ifn has no rollout map, the eir rural map is seperate to the ifn urban rollout afaik

Airwire's checker which is generally the go to checker doesn't even recognise those eircodes.

That may be because the Eircode data for this quarter was released on the 11.08., but only available to us a short while ago.

We have actually updated that portion of our database today, so you may try check again. All new eircodes from the last quarter should resolve now. If they can get service (or not) is a different matter.

As for the IFN, over the next month or so, our data will include indicators for future IFN covered premises. We also hope to have NBI data soon, when they become available to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭vanti

This is a bit of a strange one. I checked airwire around 2 months ago and website said available from 27 july. I placed order around 10 August with Digiweb. KN Engineers came out and examined the house. (2 DPs near my house - one on pole around 20 meters from front of house and another 2 DPs are underground nearby which I saw with the KN lads). Got a letter from Eir last week to say Fibre is now available (Aug 20th). Yesterday Digiweb rang to cancel my order saying it's not available. When I check the airwire site it's not available now either - I swear I wasn't dreaming (even received the digiweb fritz box). Is it a case the DP was associated with the wrong address/Eircode? Not a big deal either way still have decent broadband but it's pretty odd.

vanti wrote: »
    Is it a case the DP was associated with the wrong address/Eircode? Not a big deal either way still have decent broadband but it's pretty odd.

That can happen. Yes.

PM me your Eircode and I can have a look at the files, what and when it changed. It might take me a day or two, before I get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Our Eircode now lists FTTH as “available soon”

Any idea what sort of timeframe we might be looking at?

An update - The online checker on Eir's website now says FTTH is available in numbers 15 & 16, but not in numbers 1-14. Some of the other house addresses don't even pop up in their system.

It's a bit bizarre, given those two were just built in the last 6 or so months, and their eircodes would be the newest. Airwire's checker which is generally the go to checker doesn't even recognise those eircodes.

I suspect it'll be corrected as the eircodes and various databases are updated. Is this a sign that the fibre has actually been laid in the estate?
    Update - the answer to that is no. The builder has been able to tell me nobody has been in the estate as of yet laying any fibre cables.

Some of the other addresses that weren't showing before are now showing on Eir's website. The newest two are still showing being ready to order 1Gbps FTTH.

They came out and replaced the pole today, first they have been back since April. Still no DP but the guys today said another team would be out to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

Rew wrote: »
    They came out and replaced the pole today, first they have been back since April. Still no DP but the guys today said another team would be out to do that.

you must live near me :pac: They replaced all the poles on my road with new ones and for the last few days, KN have been installing black boxes on the poles, and I assume splicing in the fibre. There was a smallish machine being used at one stage and it was pushing I guess the fibre through.

Hopefully not long to go now.

F1jVngY.jpg

ondafly wrote: »
    you must live near me :pac: They replaced all the poles on my road with new ones and for the last few days, KN have been installing black boxes on the poles, and I assume splicing in the fibre. There was a smallish machine being used at one stage and it was pushing I guess the fibre through.

The boxes are the dispersion points once they are up you should be good to go. They have been all over my town since the start of the year doing all this but my little estate has hand no love since they did the initial cables back in April.

• Advertisement

once those black boxes are up it means i think that fibre is there and is spliced in

the final step being provisioning, how long that can take is pie in the sky

Advertisement