Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

ED E wrote: »
    Sub duct for optical DPs in place, coiled on poles. Potheads not placed yet.

It has been like the above in Ballina for 7-8 months now (a few potheads are placed though, not secured to poles) and no sign of any progress.

EIR better hurry up as NBI are due to connect the outskirts of Ballina in Q3/Q4 this year (as EIR intend to do significant encroaching into the intervention area in Ballina, from what I can make out, if they ever get around to it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Ush1 wrote: »
    Just noticed there is a blue string tied around the copper cable where it comes up from the ground in my driveway. Wife said she thinks KN did it a couple of days ago.

Would that be them getting ready to pull the fibre connection to the house?
    Yes that's the rope in the duct. Now the duct into the house can be the hard part.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

user1842 wrote: »
    It has been like the above in Ballina for 7-8 months now (a few potheads are placed though, not secured to poles) and no sign of any progress.

EIR better hurry up as NBI are due to connect the outskirts of Ballina in Q3/Q4 this year (as EIR intend to do significant encroaching into the intervention area in Ballina, from what I can make out, if they ever get around to it).

1300-odd premises will be available to order in Ballina between now and March 10th. There's a good chunk still to do, but at least it's launching.

No sign of Westport yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

alan4cult wrote: »
    Yes that's the rope in the duct. Now the duct into the house can be the hard part.

Mine comes literally up from my driveway then in through the wall at the side of the house and the connection box is there, it's just inside my doorway.

What would be the time frame would you know normally for when the house would be ready? Do they pull the cable through and put the connection in the house all in one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

1300-odd premises will be available to order in Ballina between now and March 10th. There's a good chunk still to do, but at least it's launching.

No sign of Westport yet.

Finally :) thanks for the update Paul

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

No bother. PM me an Eircode if you want me to keep an eye on the rollout for you.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just checked my eircode
    What is vdsl?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Seve OB wrote: »
    Just checked my eircode
    What is vdsl?

Eir calls it "eFibre". Also referred to as FTTC / Fibre to the cabinet. It's a copper line capable of up to 100 Mbit/s depending on distance to the cabinet or exchange.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Eir calls it "eFibre". Also referred to as FTTC / Fibre to the cabinet. It's a copper line capable of up to 100 Mbit/s depending on distance to the cabinet or exchange.

/M

Ah ok. Well the website is wrong so because Eir cannot supply me with E-Fibre. Best they can do is 4MB unless I go FTTH

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Ah ok. Well the website is wrong so because Eir cannot supply me with E-Fibre. Best they can do is 4MB unless I go FTTH

That's a rather harsh statement. How can you judge us, just because another provider can't provide you with a better product ? Have you contact us and talked to us about, what we can provide ?

Our database is quite a bit more advanced than most providers. So, if our product check says, that we can provide VDSL and other providers tell you, that you can only get 4 Mbit/s, then maybe we have identified that you are near a cabinet, that may service you, but your premise is not index correctly.

That does not mean that we can get you a better service. But it means, that there is a chance of getting a better product, but other providers have not tried hard enough.

Just saying, our product check is wrong ..... is pretty negative.

That's a rather harsh statement. How can you judge us, just because another provider can't provide you with a better product ? Have you contact us and talked to us about, what we can provide ?

Our database is quite a bit more advanced than most providers. So, if our product check says, that we can provide VDSL and other providers tell you, that you can only get 4 Mbit/s, then maybe we have identified that you are near a cabinet, that may service you, but your premise is not index correctly.

That does not mean that we can get you a better service. But it means, that there is a chance of getting a better product, but other providers have not tried hard enough.

Just saying, our product check is wrong ..... is pretty negative.

Sorry I wasn’t having a go at you at all and I think you took me up the wrong way. I never judged you. I didn’t say your product was wrong, I said the website was wrong based on what poster said about eir fibre line.

I don’t fully understand all of this hence my earlier question, however I do have a reasonable grasp of it.

The poster who replied to my question stated e fibre and I know that my eir line is not capable of more than 4MB ( on a good day). I’ve been with eir and sky both using the line and enquired with everyone else who supplies broadband via the phone line (but granted not yourselves). I think we were told we were wired directly to the exchange or something and the line was to long to get fibre onto it.

Pretty sure I’ve stuck plenty of post up on the forums here over the years about it. And it’s not just me, it’s every house on my road. A single road within an urban housing estate in D15. I’m facing a green. All other 3 roads facing the same green can get fibre on the eir line. I’ve researched it a lot, apparently fibre will be coming soon........... well that was the line they dished out for possibly the best part of 10 years.

Since just before Christmas we now have an option of FTTH which I’m not keen on as apparently it will mean new cables being run around the house tacked onto walls.

If you still believe you can get me fibre on my eir line well then I’m all ears and willing to listen

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

There's KN guys doing work on behalf on Eir in Rathdown Park, Greystones, Co. Wicklow. I definitely saw them blowing fibre, and I'm hoping/guessing it's Eir FTTH being installed.

Your checker shows no sign at the moment :- any chance you could take a look at your database and see if there's any mention of upcoming availability in that area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sorry I wasn’t having a go at you at all and I think you took me up the wrong way. I never judged you. I didn’t say your product was wrong, I said the website was wrong based on what poster said about eir fibre line.

Which part. If it's just the speed then that still right as 4mbps would be "up to 100mbps". If Eir are offering broadband over a copper phone line then it's E firbre.

If you never talked to eir or gave them any chance to change your plan you might still be on ADSL which was the old "up to 24mbps" but that isn't likely as they'd have changed you off that the first chance they got for their benefit and not yours.

Varik wrote: »
    Which part. If it's just the speed then that still right as 4mbps would be "up to 100mbps". If Eir are offering broadband over a copper phone line then it's E firbre.

If you never talked to eir or gave them any chance to change your plan you might still be on ADSL which was the old "up to 24mbps" but that isn't likely as they'd have changed you off that the first chance they got for their benefit and not yours.

I spoke with Eir countless times. I cannot get Fibre on my Eir line. They have told me that. The only broadband I can get on my Eir line is up to 4mb, 24MB would be a dream. To be honest, it was never even near 4MB, 1MB was about a fair average I've gotten from umpteen tests on speedtest.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I spoke with Eir countless times. I cannot get Fibre on my Eir line. They have told me that. The only broadband I can get on my Eir line is up to 4mb, 24MB would be a dream. To be honest, it was never even near 4MB, 1MB was about a fair average I've gotten from umpteen tests on speedtest.net

It is possible that your local exchange is fibre enabled so in theory your address is covered by fibre. However, if all the fibre connections at that exchange are already being used by others in the local area then fibre wouldn't actually be available to you while that remains the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Timeline with OpenEir in our newly built estate.

• 17-Sept-2020 - KN were in blowing cable into the Ducts
    • 16-Oct-2020 - There was a man in from OpenEir to splice the fibre cables. Spoke to him - he claimed that some final testing would be done next week and it would be marked live from that point on. Didn't see anyone the week after that.
    • 12-Feb-2021 - There were two OpenEir vans in doing some further work. I didn't get the chance to go out to talk to them.

In all of this time, it's still not marked live yet. We moved in late August of last year. Thankfully we got set up with Siro pretty fast. I've been with Digiweb since early October last year.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be waiting for OpenEir, 5 months after our estate went live with Siro, there's no sign of OpenEir going live yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Does anyone know the eir routers settings. Have a lad who has his network reconfigured and is running several routers as wired ap. He sorted out his wiring cabinet and now has synch with the gpon but he's not getting an established poor or DHCP session through the ISP.
    Basically his modem is showing synch but no internet. We have his router on Google opendns 8.8.8.8 to no avail.
    It can happen if you turn on router first then gpon but usually it resolves itself within 20 minutes to an hour and it polls the ISP or something in this case it has not come back all day.
    Any ideas?
    My thinking is and I could be wrong but the modem could have looked at the old modem on the network and thought it should let that take the lead and is now taking incorrect instructions for a session from the old modem which ran over a ADSL line rather than from the ont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

All you need for ffth is to select vlan 10 on the wan.the router needs to support this.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

VLAN tag of 10 & DHCP should do it for Eir in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oleard1987

After weeks of hassling everybody we received of reply from EIR via our local TD
    Small bit of background ,New housing estate living here maybe 15 months .No cables have been installed in the estate bar the 1st 20 houses which were only done last week .We spoke to the guys installing the cables and they more or less said we will be waiting

The reply we got from Eir is as follow
    "The Build Team is working to complete this estate, the fibre box that this eircode is associated with is not complete however the team is working to progress this.There is eircode data file due from An Post this month once this file is received it will enable systems to be updated,this will enable constituents to place fibre orders"

"As you will note from the response received the fibre box for your Eircode is not complete, however the build team is working to progress this"

We all currently have our Eircodes assigned -What is an Eircode data file ?
    the fibre box that this eircode is associated with is not complete-Surely hey have hundreds of these

Do you think we are getting the runaround and what questions should i ask back

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Believe it or not they only get an update of address form the eircode database once or twice a year

As in the eircodes get updated or eircode database ?
    I presume they have my eircode as when I search all the vendors my address comes up it just says nothing is available as we have no cables

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The eircode database gets updated every 3 months. The current update was pushed this week, but it generally takes OpenEir another few weeks, before they bother implementation that.

Other providers will probably have the data online before the end of the week. Just saying.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The eircode database gets updated every 3 months. The current update was pushed this week, but it generally takes OpenEir another few weeks, before they bother implementation that.

Other providers will probably have the data online before the end of the week. Just saying.

/M

This the part thats confusing me .On the point where they mentioned “Eircode data file due from An Post this month and once this file has been received it will enable systems to be updated, which will in turn enable constituents to place fibre orders” We already have our Eircode on the database with EIR,SKY,VODAFONE etc and we have placed orders with ISP but when the engineering team arrive there is no cables for them to connect us

I feel that they are giving us the run around or they haven't a notion as to what they are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

Little Island/Glounthaune Cork

15/7/2020 - KN/Circet team installing underground fibre ducting, with some poles having a black ducting cable spooled off quarter way up the pole
    29/7/2020 - Eir crew out replacing telephone poles
    26/8/2020 - Several KN/Circet crews with a mini-digger fixing collapsed ducts
    8/12/2020 - KN Circet crew fiddling at a few poles
    4/2/2021 - Eir crew started to blow fibre into existing ducting
    11/2/2021 - Distribution Points on poles installed
    18/2/2021 - Eir vans with a reel of black cable tinkering at DPs on poles, not sure if they are splicing?

Next steps:
    Splicing Crew?
    Provisioning

Probably another few months to go..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

How long from KN tying blue rope to getting fibre connected normally?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have to say it, how long is a piece of string?

Honestly nobody can answer that. Could be 2wks or 2yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Limerick city. Rodders and ropers were here in mid March. Splicers were here three weeks later and the distribution boxes were installed in ducts and on poles (together with coils of fibre) at the same time so all done and good to go by mid April...... in our dreams. Checked availability via the online checkers (eir, Vodafone and others) daily and finally ordered on the first possible date which was 10th October. Installed a few days later. Absolutely no idea what was happening in the lost six months.

• Advertisement

Just to follow up on this on my point above .We had Kn crews onsite all week supposedly laying FTTH .I have gotten Email confirmation that our houses were Ducted ,Cabled and spliced and that its up to my service provider now to finish the connection .Should i be able to order straight away or do there need to be a switch turned on .I have checked Airwire ,Digiweb and i'm still not showing as FTTH available

Advertisement