Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

oleard1987 wrote: »
    Just to follow up on this on my point above .We had Kn crews onsite all week supposedly laying FTTH .I have gotten Email confirmation that our houses were Ducted ,Cabled and spliced and that its up to my service provider now to finish the connection .Should i be able to order straight away or do there need to be a switch turned on .I have checked Airwire ,Digiweb and i'm still not showing as FTTH available

Who did you get the email from?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oleard1987

user1842 wrote: »
    Who did you get the email from?

I was emailed by the KN manager in Dublin

I was emailed by the KN manager in Dublin

Nice, you must have connections :)

user1842 wrote: »
    Nice, you must have connections :)

More mistake ,some one forwarded the email thread on to me when replying my question and left the email address on

Seems KN just lie aswell

More mistake ,some one forwarded the email thread on to me when replying my question and left the email address on

Seems KN just lie aswell

Brilliant :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

Does anybody know if IFN distribution points on poles are installed different than the Eir Rural distribution points?

Image 1 shows the DP for an IFN install, which does not have a backplate nor the coiled black cable to allow the eir engineers bring it down to their van when hooking up customers. Or perhaps has it not been done yet? I thought everything would get done once the DP goes onto the pole? Ie. Splicing

Image 2 is from rural fibre rollout which has backplate and coiled cable to allow moving the DP to van when hooking up new customers

Wondering why its different?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Looks very short sighted, if they don't leave the coil.

Both SIRO and OpenEir had enough cop on to realise, that it's a good plan.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Looks very short sighted, if they don't leave the coil.

Both SIRO and OpenEir had enough cop on to realise, that it's a good plan.

/M

in what context do you mean short sighted, trying to understand the negatives of it

BArra wrote: »
    in what context do you mean short sighted, trying to understand the negatives of it

If there is anything, that has to be done with the DP in regards to repairs etc., doing that up a ladder or cherrypicker in rain is going to be a total no go, while that work can be carried out, if you can move the DP into a dry environment (in your van).

So, should repairs be necessary, there may be lengthly delays to do these without the service loop.

I mean .. you can wait days for dry weather in Ireland.

The service loop on OpenEIR and SIRO DPs is foresight and common sense.

/M

But isnt IFN part of OpenEir, therefore you would think they would install similar to their Rural rollout

• Advertisement

But isnt IFN part of OpenEir, therefore you would think they would install similar to their Rural rollout

Hah .. half asleep here. You are right.

Are you sure, that's a DP ?

OpenEIR uses the same enclosures for junction boxes, where it goes from lets say overhead under the ground and they have a serviceable junction. It's either that or OpenEIR has started cutting corners.

/M

def a DP, the coiled black fibre ducting was on the poles for months, then it had fibre blown in and the DPs have appeared on many poles in the area in the past two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Some DPS are premade (don't have ribbon racks inside) ifn ones are premade patch leads dunno how it works. Probably terminate 3 strands at the neck for 12 ports and the preterminated leads come from a splitter at the neck.
    You don't see individual strands inside.
    The loops can be also in the joint boxes below.

There's a difference between the ifn and the rural rollout generally the rural rollout the light is about -13db at the dp whereas in urban it's -16db
    Additionally the light does not seem to be the same. If you use a gpon for rural on an ifn the Los light will keep flashing it won't see it and likewise for the other.

There's also works for internal fibre works like the way the Siro network is ran for apartment blocks. A crew will bring in a box attach it to a wall on each floor with other end in dp kind of like a mini dp so that the install crews can run a cable to the locally installed dp then cross connect in main dp.
    It's supposed to be able to be ran with a line of silicone and a tiny fibre line just pressed into it.
    I've not seen it so don't know much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Does anybody know if IFN distribution points on poles are installed different than the Eir Rural distribution points?

Image 1 shows the DP for an IFN install, which does not have a backplate nor the coiled black cable to allow the eir engineers bring it down to their van when hooking up customers. Or perhaps has it not been done yet? I thought everything would get done once the DP goes onto the pole? Ie. Splicing

Image 2 is from rural fibre rollout which has backplate and coiled cable to allow moving the DP to van when hooking up new customers

Wondering why its different?

First of all, they don't take it down to connect customers. It would be quite rare to remove one from a pole.

There are a couple of explanations for what may be happening. There is only one cable entering the DP so either it is the end of the line or it is a branch off the main route used to simply serve some premises. The IFN also uses a different splitter configuration to the rural network.

Either way there are likely no fusion splices in the box so there is no need to have a service loop.

There is nothing to be concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

babi-hrse wrote: »
    There's a difference between the ifn and the rural rollout generally the rural rollout the light is about -13db at the dp whereas in urban it's -16db
    Additionally the light does not seem to be the same. If you use a gpon for rural on an ifn the Los light will keep flashing it won't see it and likewise for the other.

It is using different wavelengths as it is XGS-PON with a greater split ratio.

NBAiii wrote: »

IFN is 64:1 vs 32:1 on the rural network alright.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Just to add to NBAiii's and Marlow's replies, there is an IFN appendix in open-eir's NGA Technical Manual - https://www.openeir.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/NGA-Technical-Handbook-V23_0-Unmarked-100121.pdf
    There are differences in the access network between the new IFN and the existing FTTH network;

The difference lies in the access technology being deployed.
    - GPON technology is used in the existing FTTH network
    - XGS PON Technology is used in the new IFN

The difference lies in the Optical splitting ratio per PON port
    - Existing FTTH network has 1:32 splitting ratio
    - New IFN network has 1:64 splitting ratio
    New hardware (new ONT and OLT line cards) will be used, in the access network.

Existing GPON technology, will not be used in those catchment areas, that are covered in the IFN project.
    Existing GPON ONT cannot be re-used in the IFN.

2 stages of optical splitting will be used in the IFN, with a total splitting ratio 1:64 per PON port.
    - Thus each XGS PON port can be shared among 64 homes
    - One 1:2 splitter is installed in the exchange. Each XGS PON port is connected to the 1:2 splitter
    - Two 1:32 splitters, are installed in the field

NBAiii wrote: »

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

How often does this happen and when is the next update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

/M

Wish they wouldnt. Still a good product but like c'mon OE.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ED E wrote: »
    Wish they wouldnt. Still a good product but like c'mon OE.

Splitting is inherent to a PON network. It doesn't make sense to build a PON network without splitters.

How often does this happen and when is the next update?

Generally weekly updates. Sometimes a week or two gets skipped at the moment, before a new update happens. Most certainly at least once a month. The date for the data is in each box.

/M

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Splitting is inherent to a PON network. It doesn't make sense to build a PON network without splitters.

Of course. My point, which maybe I didnt make clearly, was that 32 is probably the right split ratio. 64 for urban is pushing it unless they think uptake will be much lower due to competition from VM/SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

was that 32 is probably the right split ratio. 64 for urban is pushing it unless they think uptake will be much lower due to competition from VM/SIRO.

Does it matter as the technology used is XGS-PON instead of GPON?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Of course. My point, which maybe I didnt make clearly, was that 32 is probably the right split ratio. 64 for urban is pushing it unless they think uptake will be much lower due to competition from VM/SIRO.

A 64:1 split on a 10G carrier is fine, even in the event that it means that someone with a gigabit service very occasionally gets slightly less than a gigabit throughput. XGSPON networks are dimensioned based on sane usage, not based on people who expect NGN service at NGA prices.

The Cush wrote: »
    Does it matter as the technology used is XGS-PON instead of GPON?

I'd think of the split ratio implemented today as the same as the CCP (copper cabs) placement of the 70s. Its not going to change. Similar to people who got party lines then and couldn't get DSL in 2005 (It happened).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

KN guys came out and fitted box to side of my house but for some reason they put it up at second story height, is that normal?

Think that's a part of the slung lead project.
    So there's probably a tiny conduit coming from a joint box in the street and all the houses get fed crossing along a row of terraced houses via soffit and fascia.
    Rather than trying to pull 6 individual fibres up and out of the dp with increasing levels of difficulty as a new 7mm cable gets added to the trunk of them with each added customer taking up service they just ran one multi stranded drop from a dp to a mini dp. So people can run your neibhours drops to that without having to try get it down the ducting.
    Your probably gonna have lots of fibre lines crossing overhead to your wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Think that's a part of the slung lead project.
    So there's probably a tiny conduit coming from a joint box in the street and all the houses get fed crossing along a row of terraced houses via soffit and fascia.
    Rather than trying to pull 6 individual fibres up and out of the dp with increasing levels of difficulty as a new 7mm cable gets added to the trunk of them with each added customer taking up service they just ran one multi stranded drop from a dp to a mini dp. So people can run your neibhours drops to that without having to try get it down the ducting.
    Your probably gonna have lots of fibre lines crossing overhead to your wall.

That makes sense, seems they chose my house as my duct is easy to access. They are semi d houses so I'm guessing they will loop from the point on the side of my house to the others in the same way the virgin media cable is linked along the soffits.

Advertisement