Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

More activity... the Eir guys told me maybe in two months i might be live but i hold my breath

Little Island/Glounthaune Cork

15/7/2020 - KN/Circet team installing underground fibre ducting, with some poles having a black ducting cable spooled off quarter way up the pole
    29/7/2020 - Eir crew out replacing telephone poles
    26/8/2020 - Several KN/Circet crews with a mini-digger fixing collapsed ducts
    8/12/2020 - KN Circet crew fiddling at a few poles
    4/2/2021 - Eir crew started to blow fibre into existing ducting
    11/2/2021 - Distribution Points on poles installed
    2/3/2021 - Eir crew blowing fibre still

Next steps:
    Splicing Crew?
    Provisioning?
    Live...

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oleard1987

🙀🙀mine is still showing available soon .why can't they just update my house

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

user1842 wrote: »
    It has been like the above in Ballina for 7-8 months now (a few potheads are placed though, not secured to poles) and no sign of any progress.

EIR better hurry up as NBI are due to connect the outskirts of Ballina in Q3/Q4 this year (as EIR intend to do significant encroaching into the intervention area in Ballina, from what I can make out, if they ever get around to it).
    1300-odd premises will be available to order in Ballina between now and March 10th. There's a good chunk still to do, but at least it's launching.

No sign of Westport yet.

@Paul -- thanks for the info.

@user1842 -- I can confirm that Eir are busy working around the town. I just passed quickly but spotted one crew down the Killala Road today. Hopefully they'll be closer to my house tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

All, can we post updates here on the roll out that we notice in our “urban” areas of Dublin etc similar to what was posted in the rural FTTH thread? Just to give us an idea how the roll out is progressing.

I’ve noticed some progress in the Donnycarney/Collins Ave area of Dublin with those “black boxes” fibre distribution points on poles which were not there before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

A lot of work done by Eir in Estates in Castleknock D15 this last 2 weeks (all the estates off Auburn avenue have had fibre pulled in by KNCircnet. Not sure if it has been terminated yet. Piles of cable left in ducting....Separately someone is putting cable on Poles in Berchpark Avenue and up towards the Canal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

For those on connections with a Fritz!Box router, there is a new firmware out (7.25)

One feature is, that now allows to prioritise certain devices for working from home. Could be handy.

It's been rolled out for the 7530 and 7590 models so far.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

A lot of work done by Eir in Estates in Castleknock D15 this last 2 weeks (all the estates off Auburn avenue have had fibre pulled in by KNCircnet. Not sure if it has been terminated yet. Piles of cable left in ducting....Separately someone is putting cable on Poles in Berchpark Avenue and up towards the Canal

I've received several texts to say works were due to take place in my area of Castleknock but the dates keep getting pushed out. Works were supposed to be done on March 25th, but vans never showed up and they've gone silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭AngryLips

hardybuck wrote: »
    I've received several texts to say works were due to take place in my area of Castleknock but the dates keep getting pushed out. Works were supposed to be done on March 25th, but vans never showed up and they've gone silent.

How are you getting texts? Can you sign up for alerts about your local area somewhere?

AngryLips wrote: »
    How are you getting texts? Can you sign up for alerts about your local area somewhere?

I've been trying to sign up to Eir as a customer, that's how I've been getting the updates. The latest update I got was for today, and no sign of anything.

They also have an email address which I'm about to try (wondering if I'll get a different response): customercare@openeir.ie

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

hardybuck wrote: »
    They also have an email address which I'm about to try (wondering if I'll get a different response): customercare@openeir.ie

That's for open eir's customers (retail ISPs). You're not an open eir customer.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's for open eir's customers (retail ISPs). You're not an open eir customer.

Earlier this morning I sought confirmation of when the high speed fibre would be available in my area, and a sales advisor told me to use that email address.

I'll give it a go anyway.

2 months since dps installed on poles in area, zero activity since

is there any way to find out a status update on a provisional go live date? nada showing on airwire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

BArra wrote: »
    2 months since dps installed on poles in area, zero activity since

is there any way to find out a status update on a provisional go live date? nada showing on airwire

I'm sure it was back in November they put they coiled ducting/cabling on the pole outside my house in Cork city and I have seen no activity since anywhere near me to put DP boxes. Its very frustrating in these times where everybody is working from home Fibre should be a priority....:mad:Especially I can see DP's on poles 100meters from me that have been there for a year and over. I am stuck here with 15mb & 1mb up at best with us all working and schooling from home. I am so sick of my f**king **** BB :mad::mad:

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I'm sure it was back in November they put they coiled ducting/cabling on the pole outside my house in Cork city and I have seen no activity since anywhere near me to put DP boxes. Its very frustrating in these times where everybody is working from home Fibre should be a priority....:mad:Especially I can see DP's on poles 100meters from me that have been there for a year and over. I am stuck here with 15mb & 1mb up at best with us all working and schooling from home. I am so sick of my f**king **** BB :mad::mad:

They did that outside my house a year ago, still no DP...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

So I thought it might be useful to do a detailed run down of how an fibre install went from start to finish, be warned many pictures follow :):

My parents house is in a rural area about 2km outside Ballina, Mayo. It is in the intervention area and due for NBI connection in Q1 2022. However Open Eir decided to cover the area via the Ballina urban rollout (not the rural rollout).

Open Eir started work in Summer 2020 and my parents house was available for connection on the 21st April 2021.

My parents went with Westnet, who informed them a month before the availability date that a connection would be possible. Thus on the 21st April Westnet put through the order. My father was extremely happy with the service Westnet provided.

KN scheduled the appointment for the 23rd April (two days later :))

KN arrive on time, text message confirmed appointment time:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/y24032

Setting up. Fibre comes to a manhole outside the house, approx 4km underground from the town.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/0vnv86

Inside the manhole, both the fibre drop box and copper box:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/o59Q18

The manhole connects via a duct to an Open Eir pole about 15 meters away. The duct is 35 years old and so is the pole. The installer thus needed to put a fish line into the duct. The reason the fibre drop box was not put on the pole was that the manhole also feeds another house up the road.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/637BjF

Luckily the duct was not blocked:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/jT6Aa8

Now pulling the fibre up the pole:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/1f65L4

And then connecting it to the house about 15 meters away.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/K8zD9J

Nice and strong connection between the pole and house (copper cable is the lower one)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/33062h

On the house, my parents (me) did as much preparation as possible as we wanted the ONT (internal fibre box) on the chimney rather than an externally facing wall. The install is in a converted attic where there is a door to access the chimney space.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/Jx41fi

On the inside we installed a plastic conduit from the external hole to the where we wanted the ONT and put a fish wire in it that lead to the outside hole. All to make things as easy as possible for the installer. See arrow below where the conduit comes from:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/F84581

The installer pulled through the fibre with ease:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/V92N1Y

Installation of the ONT:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/5vg22B

Final setup:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/192834041@N07/shares/q0Mf62

End-to-end install time about 1.5 hours, with a working fibre connection after.

My parents are delighted going from a 1mbps 3G connection to 500mbps.

(note the pictures are cropped and some are zoomed, the person taking them was at least 2 meters away from the installer at all times and fully masked).

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Does anyone know what the situation is with Tullamore?
    Have Eir or SIRO said anything about providing FTTH in the town. Even a very rough guide of time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

user1842 wrote: »

Thanks for your detailed description - I planned to have our ONT in the garage and run cat 6 to the hall where our eFibre router is located at present. Now you gave me another idea which is to have the ONT in the attic.

BTW in the final setup, is the Huawei box on the left with 2 lights your router ? Do you know what model it is ?

pg17 wrote: »
    Thanks for your detailed description - I planned to have our ONT in the garage and run cat 6 to the hall where our eFibre router is located at present. Now you gave me another idea which is to have the ONT in the attic.

BTW in the final setup, is the Huawei box on the left with 2 lights your router ? Do you know what model it is ?

That's not the router, it's the ONT (Optical Network Terminal), installed by KN. The model I believe is Huawei EchoLife HN8250Ts:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=112328996&postcount=2025

A Fritzbox 7590 is connected to that via a cat6 cable. I located the Fritzbox in the centre of the house.

An interesting point is that the Fritzbox 7590 will not work at all on the Huawei's 10gbit port, you need to use one of the 1gbit ports. The Fritzbox 7530, a lower model, does work on the 10gbit port, of course at a max speed of 1gbit. Wasted a few hours on that issue :).

The small white box on the right is just where the fibre is terminated (Termination Point - TP), there is noting in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

pg17 wrote: »

KN installers will not enter an attic on health and safety grounds.
    It's detailed in the Eir installation manual.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »

Indeed, in our situation, it is a converted attic (there is a spiral staircase and a bedroom there). The location of the TP and ONT is in a side area that is accessible by a door from the bedroom. So it is not really an attic, even if it if looks like it in the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

kaizersoze wrote: »

KN went into my attic to install the ONT. Have one of those stira ladders. I had ducting and power set up for them. They were happy to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

KN went into my attic to install the ONT. Have one of those stira ladders. I had ducting and power set up for them. They were happy to do it.

YMMV I suppose. They're not permitted to though.
    4 installs I was present for, 3 business & 1 residential, they refused to enter the attic space just to run the fiber cable. I had to do it.

If my plan was to get an attic install then I'd definitely have a plan B.

551519.JPG

Hi Martin,

Would there be a new update coming soon by any chance? Noticed there hasnt been an update since 2nd March

Cheers

15/7/2020 - KN/Circet team installing underground fibre ducting, with some poles having a black ducting cable spooled off quarter way up the pole
    11/2/2021 - Distribution Points on poles being installed

7/5/21 - Looks like all DPs installed since yesterday, eir techs told me they expect it to be ready by end of May, he said they work out from the exchange so once they finish the build out its ready for order.

Glounthaune area set up in three runs, A, B, C to which C seems to now be complete. All the DPs have the run letter and sequential number of the dp written on it, ie C 24 (which is very last DP)

Lets see how long till available to actually order, its coming up on a year since the process started

BArra wrote: »

11/2/2021 - Distribution Points on poles being installed

7/5/21 - Looks like all DPs installed since yesterday, eir techs told me they expect it to be ready by end of May, he said they work out from the exchange so once they finish the build out its ready for order.

Glounthaune area set up in three runs, A, B, C to which C seems to now be complete. All the DPs have the run letter and sequential number of the dp written on it, ie C 24 (which is very last DP)

Lets see how long till available to actually order, its coming up on a year since the process started

I would say very soon as the above is almost the exact timeline of the Ballina rollout. Under a year for full completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Anyone know what the possibility would be in the following scenario:

Currently living in an estate of ~100 houses. This estate was meant to be serviced by a cabinet which was later cancelled so the estate is serviced by another cabinet but due to distance, speeds dont go over 15Mb for the majority.

We are all in the IA for the NBI rollout. However Ive since heard that the developer is planning on starting phase 4 and building another 15-20 houses beside me.

Could/Would this entice or even compel Eir to install Fibre To the Home for the estate or at least these houses near the new builds happening later this year?

There is FTTH just 100 meters down the road and the rest of the town gets speeds over 30Mb.

Im thinking as Eir would have to install copper lines to service these houses and FTTC is defunct, will the roll out FTTH instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Finally, FTTH is available to order in our new housing estate in Maynooth. It’s only been 18 months since the first people moved in. Have ordered 1Gbps package, now the waiting game begins. Won’t be cancelling Virgin just yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I know the pandemic may have disrupted things, but I'm just wondering what is the usual timeline between a microduct appearing and a live service?

They ran all the micro ducts underground and up the sides of poles in my area, and there's one sitting right at the end of my garden on the pole my phone line runs to.

It's been unchanged for about 6 months at this stage, with no more activity.

I'm close to Cork city centre and on a one of the bigger exchanges in the city, that has about 15,000 lines, so it's a fairly big rollout.

Also, something that might be of interest to this thread:

OpenEir has applied to ComReg to allow for a change to the customer equipment used for IFN (i.e. urban rollout) which would allow a combined router/ONT to be installed by the ISP. So it might mean an optical port on the router and a neater installation with fewer devices. The router would just plug straight into the fibre.

Seems to apply to the XGS-PON networks i.e. newer urban rollout.

I assume, from their point of view, it means being responsible for less active equipment.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/approval-relating-to-the-eircom-development-the-ntu-connection-product

• Advertisement

see my last post on this thread for a general timeline outlook, albeit am still waiting to be able to order, everything seems to be finished as regard fibre spliced, all distribution points up for a few weeks now but no available soon or available on the airwire checker yet

it will be a year in july for me since ducting work started

Advertisement