Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

user1842 wrote: »
    I think providers should focus more on increasing upload speeds.

Is there any technical limitation on having sysmetric speeds on fibre lines?

2000/200 would give them bragging rights but the actual selling point for many users would potentially be the 200 upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

dam099 wrote: »
    2000/200 would give them bragging rights but the actual selling point for many users would potentially be the 200 upload.
    Would certainly pay for that upload speed, even though I won't be able to make use of that kind of download speed anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

user1842 wrote: »

Is there any technical limitation on having sysmetric speeds on fibre lines?

In this system yes. For example a connection within a single building would often use two cores transmitting at 40/100/400G in each direction.

(G)Pon is different. From CO to your house there is a single beam of light (all ONTs are receiving the same 2.5G of data) but in the other direction there 32-64 beams of light being multiplexed. The OLT gives tiny slots of time that allow your OLT to send, rapidly going around each unit over and over.

I assume the 1.25Gbps capacity was picked with good cause. At a guess if you allocated too much bandwidth to one ONT it would hurt jitter for the system.

PON is cheaper to deploy but has limits, if you want large upload then an unshared connection is a appropriate but you pay by the meter and much more per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

ED E wrote: »
    In this system yes. For example a connection within a single building would often use two cores transmitting at 40/100/400G in each direction.

(G)Pon is different. From CO to your house there is a single beam of light (all ONTs are receiving the same 2.5G of data) but in the other direction there 32-64 beams of light being multiplexed. The OLT gives tiny slots of time that allow your OLT to send, rapidly going around each unit over and over.

I assume the 1.25Gbps capacity was picked with good cause. At a guess if you allocated too much bandwidth to one ONT it would hurt jitter for the system.

PON is cheaper to deploy but has limits, if you want large upload then an unshared connection is a appropriate but you pay by the meter and much more per month.

Thanks for the great explanation.

Would there be any issue increasing the upload to 20% of the download?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Had our Eir FTTH installed this week, new build housing estate in Maynooth. Was expecting the XGSPON ONT given that I assumed we were on the IFN, but they installed the old style ONT instead.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Had our Eir FTTH installed this week, new build housing estate in Maynooth. Was expecting the XGSPON ONT given that I assumed we were on the IFN, but they installed the old style ONT instead.

There was talk of moving to a new HG8010Ts model for XGS-PON that looks almost identical to the HG8010H GPON ONT. Maybe that's what you've got? Is the RJ45 port yellow or grey?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Some towns may have had the earlier rollout equipment.

The cities generally are only getting FTTH first the first time in this rollout, hence IFN.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

No that's the ftth gpon the newer gpon for the Ifni is almost identical a little bigger but they've removed the lan ports and telephone ports so it's the same style as the ftth ones it's about 20% bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Some towns may have had the earlier rollout equipment.

The cities generally are only getting FTTH first the first time in this rollout, hence IFN.

Not some towns but some estates some estates got ftth on the plans before the ifn network started up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Let's hope Eir will eventually upgrade the entire GPON network to XGS-PON capable speeds at some point over the next few years but I imagine Eir will not be in any rush to do so, particularly the rural FTTH network.

They will have to upgrade it at some point as the NBI is XGS-PON, same as Eir's urban IFN. Siro is also GPON but since they operate in urban areas also, they will probably upgrade alot sooner than Eir's rural network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

anybody any idea why when I check my address on Eir for FTTH it shows as not available, but its showing as available from the Vodafone checker, Airwire checker etc ?

some neighbours houses pass on Eir checker no problem, wondering is it because we havent had a phone line in over 10 years and its not matching correctly?

eir checks by ARD key, Eircode and phone number I think?

area is live etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭AngryLips

BArra wrote: »
    anybody any idea why when I check my address on Eir for FTTH it shows as not available, but its showing as available from the Vodafone checker, Airwire checker etc ?

Maybe because your address is served by SIRO?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Maybe because your address is served by SIRO?

no, only IFN Eir FTTH in area, nada else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

oscarBravo wrote: »
    There was talk of moving to a new HG8010Ts model for XGS-PON that looks almost identical to the HG8010H GPON ONT. Maybe that's what you've got? Is the RJ45 port yellow or grey?
    They are using HG8010Ts units on new urban installs.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    A 64:1 split on a 10G carrier is fine, even in the event that it means that someone with a gigabit service very occasionally gets slightly less than a gigabit throughput. XGSPON networks are dimensioned based on sane usage, not based on people who expect NGN service at NGA prices.
    So in the worst case you're paying for 1024Mbit but get 160Mbit, but I suppose there's an assumption that most users will hop on 150/30 rather than 1000/100 so it just balances out

Little Island/Glounthaune Cork

15/7/2020 - KN/Circet team installing underground fibre ducting, with some poles having a black ducting cable spooled off quarter way up the pole
    29/7/2020 - Eir crew out replacing telephone poles
    26/8/2020 - Several KN/Circet crews with a mini-digger fixing collapsed ducts
    8/12/2020 - KN Circet crew fiddling at a few poles
    4/2/2021 - Eir crew started to blow fibre into existing ducting
    11/2/2021 - Distribution Points on poles being installed
    2/3/2021 - Eir crew blowing fibre still
    7/5/21 - Looks like all DPs installed since yesterday, eir techs told me they expect it to be ready by end of May, he said they work out from the exchange so once they finish the build out its ready for order.

23/6/21 - RFO date released and ordered

29/6/21 - Installed

Finally installed, just under a year from start to finish here, had issues with duct to nearest pole but luckily a second technician called out and got the job done

The ONT 80110TsG02 was used for the install

Pulling 800Mbps on wifi ax devices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Good news for you but nothing moving here in Glasheen area..they put up the black ducting on nearly every pole here last year but nothing since :(

Stuck on 4G broadband...other wise its 15mb DSL is the best I can do. Lucky the 4G signal is quite good.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm with eir, ftth with talk unlimited, but I keep getting massive bills, 700 for last 3 months
    WTF

For last month I made sure to make ZERO calls on phone, bill came today 176.00 euro

WTF

??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I'm with eir, ftth with talk unlimited, but I keep getting massive bills, 700 for last 3 months
    WTF

For last month I made sure to make ZERO calls on phone, bill came today 176.00 euro

WTF

??

:eek:
    Did you contact Eir?

Green shoots of progress in Ballinasloe.
    About a month ago we had 3 or 4 Open Eir crews around different areas doing inspections.
    Then 2 weeks or so ago I noticed markings on various manholes/chambers.
    Last week KN pulling in subduct in a few areas. Unmarked van but the lads had KN/Circet high viz on. I thought they were working for NBI because NBI crews were blowing in fiber in the same locations a few days before but a coil of Eircom labeled subduct has appeared on a pole nearby.
    This work was taking place in the Derrymullen, Cleaghmore & Deerpark areas which border on the start of the NBI IA's.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

BArra wrote: »
    Little Island/Glounthaune Cork

15/7/2020 - KN/Circet team installing underground fibre ducting, with some poles having a black ducting cable spooled off quarter way up the pole
    29/7/2020 - Eir crew out replacing telephone poles
    26/8/2020 - Several KN/Circet crews with a mini-digger fixing collapsed ducts
    8/12/2020 - KN Circet crew fiddling at a few poles
    4/2/2021 - Eir crew started to blow fibre into existing ducting
    11/2/2021 - Distribution Points on poles being installed
    2/3/2021 - Eir crew blowing fibre still
    7/5/21 - Looks like all DPs installed since yesterday, eir techs told me they expect it to be ready by end of May, he said they work out from the exchange so once they finish the build out its ready for order.

23/6/21 - RFO date released and ordered

29/6/21 - Installed

Finally installed, just under a year from start to finish here, had issues with duct to nearest pole but luckily a second technician called out and got the job done

The ONT 80110TsG02 was used for the install

Pulling 800Mbps on wifi ax devices

Great to hear you finally got sorted. I have been following your progress on this thread and appreciated your timeline.

I am in Longford and watched KN splicing fibre all day Thursday in my estate. Hoping we'll see it pick up speed now. They were putting down the fibre just two days before they were splicing, so it is suddenly moving at a decent pace. Hope we'll have it up and running before the end of the year.

The engineer who was putting down the fibre said he thought it would only be a month or two but in fairness to the man, he was only an apprentice and may not know the timeline. He was very helpful though and I sincerely hope he's right!

• Advertisement

WTF

WTF

??

Do you not get a detailed bill, what does it show the charges are for?

kaizersoze wrote: »
    :eek:
    Did you contact Eir?

Contact Eir
    LOLZ

One thing we know about these crooks is they try to be not contactable, and then don't listen, and then hang up on you.

This is Eir>> https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/communication-issues-pricewatch-readers-complaints-about-eir-1.4603360

dam099 wrote: »
    Do you not get a detailed bill, what does it show the charges are for?

From the bill I add up a total over the month of 250 minutes of calls.

I have unlimited calls to all Ireland and Uk landlines and mobiles.
    Think it's topped at 10,000 minutes, then you'd get charged

I'll have to get a detailed bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

So it looks like a year from boots on the ground to full installation.

My parents have been connected since April and it has been rock solid.

Contact Eir
    LOLZ

One thing we know about these crooks is they try to be not contactable, and then don't listen, and then hang up on you.

This is Eir>> https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/communication-issues-pricewatch-readers-complaints-about-eir-1.4603360

Fair enough. Keep on paying so......:pac:

I know all about Eir and contacting them but that's not going to get sorted on Boards.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Question for a buddy.
    If they are installing fiber in his estate and bringing it to the telecoms box on the side of the house, which has a cat6 cable run to it and it is been used from his phone currently, will the cat6 be sufficient to carry the new enhanced BB capacity into the house or is there a need to run a new cable in through his house to a new router in the house?

yop wrote: »
    Question for a buddy.
    If they are installing fiber in his estate and bringing it to the telecoms box on the side of the house, which has a cat6 cable run to it and it is been used from his phone currently, will the cat6 be sufficient to carry the new enhanced BB capacity into the house or is there a need to run a new cable in through his house to a new router in the house?

He'll need power in the telecoms box to plug in the gear for a start.
    Also not so sure the installers would install it there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

kaizersoze wrote: »
    He'll need power in the telecoms box to plug in the gear for a start.
    Also not so sure the installers would install it there.

Power cable to the telecom box on the gable?

Would the CAT6 cable there coming into his house work from that point?

yop wrote: »
    Power cable to the telecom box on the gable?

Would the CAT6 cable there coming into his house work from that point?

From other posts on here if there was a power socket and Cat6 in the telecom box they could in theory put the ONT there and use the Cat6 onwards to the router inside. In practice it seems its not allowed (unless you get an exceptionally accommodating install engineer), possibly the equipment is not certified for a semi outdoor environment.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'd be very surprised if any installers will install an ONT in what is essentially an outdoor location.

It raises the bigger question of when new-built homes will start to accommodate the fact that fibre will replace copper, sooner rather than later. A cat6 to the external telecoms box is a very DSL-centric approach, which made sense until recently.

Advertisement