Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jurors wanted for Coroners Court - 6 Feb 2019

• 14-01-2019 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭

Blanchardstown Gardai are looking for 6 people to sit on a Jury in the Coroners Court on the 6th of February 2019, to arrive at 9:30 am.

If any potential jurors are available, could they contact Sergeant Katrine White at <SNIP> that would be much appreciated.

Edit: If interested then please PM me and I'll pass on Sergeant White's email address to you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Do I get paid.??????

Will my car be safe in Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Is this not an odd way to look for jurors :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Also , is it a great idea to post the officers work email on here ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@daymobrew - I have removed the email address for now. It would be good if you can verify the authenticity of this request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thats not how jurors are chosen .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I was given the okay by a Garda in Blanchardstown to post this. He contacted Riverwood Residents Association asking that we ask the residents to volunteer. We have been contacted before. One of the committee was a juror.

After confirming that I had permission I also posted it to the Riverwood RA Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RiverwoodRes/posts/2957013570991344
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thats not how jurors are chosen .
    Coroners Court is different from a criminal trial.
    tretorn wrote: »
    Do I get paid.??????

Will my car be safe in Blanchardstown.
    I believe that it is a volunteer thing. As far as I know the Coroners Court is in Store Street, close to Connolly Station/Busaras.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Well, we learn something new every day, I'd no idea that was how they chose jurors for the coroners court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That must be a complete pain in the whole for Gardaí to organise. Just another waste of valuable time that needs to be civilianised sharpish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Who is there to judge in a coroners court?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

begbysback wrote: »
    Who is there to judge in a coroners court?
    In short nobody. The Coroner or jury may make a general recommendation designed to prevent similar deaths, they do not decide whose fault it was or whether there was a criminal offence.
    http://www.coroners.ie/en/cor/pages/inquests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

daymobrew wrote: »
    As far as I know the Coroners Court is in Store Street, close to Connolly Station/Busaras.
    They used to regularly knock into the Dept Social Protection round the corner and 'borrow' a few staff to make up the numbers as required.

I spent one afternoon in the Coroner's Court many years ago. I've no idea if my experience was typical, but it was a fairly awful experience, hearing the dreadful stories (several deaths by suicide on that occasion) and seeing the impact on the families.

So it's not for the feint hearted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

I did this once in Dun Laoire. Garda called into our office looking for volunteers as we were beside court. Lots of inquests that day, Dr Harbison took the stand also. One possible murder, alcohol related deaths, suicides and accidental deaths. It was very memorable and obviously very sad but I'm glad I did it and would do it again if I got the opportunity.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I've done it twice, pretty standard for the Gardai involved in the case to ask around for volunteers. Usually just a day thing, unpaid, interesting experience but terribly depressing too. A jury is req in cases of death on a public road, or in the care of the state. I'd recommend it to anyone if you've the day free.

I've done it twice, pretty standard for the Gardai involved in the case to ask around for volunteers. Usually just a day thing, unpaid, interesting experience but terribly depressing too. A jury is req in cases of death on a public road, or in the care of the state. I'd recommend it to anyone if you've the day free.

Can I ask you what the point of the jury is in these cases ? If there a judgment made or is it just a case of verdict guided by a judge ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭daymobrew

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Can I ask you what the point of the jury is in these cases ? If there a judgment made or is it just a case of verdict guided by a judge ?
    I think that Pat Dunne's reply explains it a bit:
    Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The Coroner or jury may make a general recommendation designed to prevent similar deaths, they do not decide whose fault it was or whether there was a criminal offence.
    http://www.coroners.ie/en/cor/pages/inquests
    I know that when the residents association committee member did it he made some recommendations to improve workplace safety (He didn't specify the details).

daymobrew wrote: »
    I think that Pat Dunne's reply explains it a bit:

I know that when the residents association committee member did it he made some recommendations to improve workplace safety (He didn't specify the details).

Thank you

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Aye Pat Dunne's pretty much covered it. We were there to officially determine cause of death, and any circumstances that may have lead to it. The jury does not appartion blame. For one case, we made suggestions as to how to prevent such an incident from occuring again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't think it's a great idea to have lay jurors making recommendations like this. I've seen some recommendations for stuff like bike helmets and hi-vis that show no depth of understanding of the complexity of issues involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Have done it. As others said it can be pretty grim. I had to listen to one case where a young girl took a ride in the back of a van. The van crashed and she died obviously. Had to listen to family members talk about the impact.

Also had a case where a guy walked in front of a taxi and was killed.

Would not do it again in a hurry.

Advertisement