Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravity Enduro 2019

• 14-01-2019 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Thought it might be useful to start a thread on the Irish Gravity Enduros this year. They're just one of the Enduro events in Ireland.

Link to their page is here - http://www.gravityenduro.ie/index.php/events

For anyone who doesn't know, these are events run by Biking.ie and have been going since Djouce in 2012, which I think was the first. The format is 5 or 6 stages usually. You are not timed on the transitions between stages. Timing is via wrist chip and timing starts when you go through the gate at the trail head and finishes - surprisingly - at the finish line. They do have a Challenger category which is only 3 of the 5 stages and aimed at newbies to Enduro racing. They also say on their site that these events are not for beginners which I'd agree with.

The trails are not full downhill - there is plenty of pedaling required and fitness is a key aspect. There are usually no big surprises - no gap jumps or anything really dangerous. While it might seem expensive, you get 2 days on the bike as you get to practice on the Saturday then race day is Sunday.

You can do these on an aggressive hardtail but most riders are on Enduro bikes - full suss, pretty tough bikes with plenty of travel, good tyres, dropper post etc. There is a hardtail category. I think they are adding something this year for e-bikes.

You don't need a full face lid - which can be a pain on transitions (have to wear lid at all times). Shades / goggles very useful too. Your bike would want to be in good shape - and they do do a basic bike check before you head out.

On the practice day - you can register and get your start time. Earlier the better usually. If you're fast, you'll want to get out first to avoid getting stuck behind anyone on the trails - and if you're slower, you might want to go out later so you have fewer people screaming at you to get out of the way. Pros go last and you probably don't want these lads behind you. Rule is to yield immediately when safe for faster riders - if you hear "RIDER" or "RIDER UP" - pull in when you can.

This year - they've added 3 new locations - Killaloe, Slade Valley and Cahir. I've never ridden in any of these and can't wait to as the Enduros are a great way to learn the trails of a new location.

The first one is Ballinastoe which is probably the most beginner friendly as there has historically been a fair bit of Coillte trails included. Carrick is the last one and is a great place to race - all natural trails and plenty of challenge.

They are great way to test yourself and you'll learn a lot about your abilities. For me anyway, the fastest I go on a bike is during an Enduro - you know the trail is marked and clear, there is no chance of walkers etc so you can let it rip.

There's a ton of vids on youtube that show the races and what they are like -none of the top guys seem to post videos but plenty there to give you a taste of what they are like. Good craic socially too as you'll invariably end up chatting to people on the transitions which makes the climbing so much easier.

So if you are competent on a bike, and curious about MTB racing - these might be worth a look. I've been doing them since the first one and absolutely love them.

You've also got the Grassroots Enduros too and the Vitus First Tracks Enduros- I've never done one of these so maybe someone here is knowledgeable and can give an overview. I'm going to try to do a few of them this year.

Calendar of some of the Irish events is here - and includes some of the international races - https://emerald-mtb.com/calendar/. Irish downhill races are here - http://irishdownhillseries.com/ - I've never done one but hoping to buy a full face and give one a go this year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thanks for sharing, considering signing up for the Ballinastoe one. I've tried most of the trails in Djouce so hopefully another couple months and the skill level will have improved further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

The Vitus First Tracks Enduro Cup is more or less the same format as the Gravity Enduro, Sat practice and Sunday race, they have a hardtail section also.

I've heard that the first tracks would be more technically challenging than the Gravity, I plan to do a few of the first tracks this year.

The Grassroots Enduro is a one day event, 3 stages, no practice, run blind, but can be as challenging as the Gravity Enduro and while they are mistaken as events for beginners they most certainly are not.
    While you run the stages blind, you can run them multiple times, with your fastest run counting, so the fitter you are to keep climbing the hills, the more runs you can get in.

Grassroots is a great way to get into Enduro racing, especially as if you mess up on a stage you get a chance to go back and do it again, and the commitment of one day instead of two will suit some people.

I'm hoping to get a few rounds of all three series this year, at least 4 races across all is my aim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

Good info there. Carrick in 2015 was my first gravity enduro and it was brilliant. These days I can't commit to the two days so this year I'll probably just do ballinastoe and Carrick. Managed 3 last year and it was a kick in the hole to actually go a bit quicker . Don't know if I'll make it to grassroots as it's usually a long spin but will look at their events

Just wondering, from reading the rules you have to pay for a one day cycling ireland race license €20 or a tenner if you have a leisure membership? Excluding the money costs, does the cycling Ireland leisure license have many benefits for mountain bikers or is it more aimed at road cycling?

jvan wrote: »
    Just wondering, from reading the rules you have to pay for a one day cycling ireland race license €20 or a tenner if you have a leisure membership? Excluding the money costs, does the cycling Ireland leisure license have many benefits for mountain bikers or is it more aimed at road cycling?

Indemnity and third party insurance are pretty big benefits if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Just an FYI - if you buy a yearly limited race licence, not only does it cover you for all off-road races, it also covers you on all training spins etc. Well worth the money in my opinion. You only need a full race licence if you want to do road races too. I think that the leisure licence only covers you for spins and not any races.

Edited as I looked it up to check:-
    Leisure Licence - covers exactly that
    Limited Competition Licence - cover all spins and off-road races
    Full Competition Licence - covers all spins, all off-road races and all road races

Link here http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/join-cycling-ireland and http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/new-membership/competitive1

LC will also cover you for club races on road and time trials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Killaloe where mbul used to build?

Big, steep hill with some awesome descents._.._ big climb too.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

saccades wrote: »
    Killaloe where mbul used to build?

Big, steep hill with some awesome descents._.._ big climb too.

Yup, its going to be a fun one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Didi the grassroots in Kilaloe a couple fo years ago and it was great.

Is it just me or does Slade not seem like a very small venue for a Gravity enduro? Would be perfect for a Grassroots style race though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Just saw on the Gravity Enduro facebook page that they're including ebikes for sure in 2019, the post was 4 March so might be old news to some. Knew it was talked about but now it's confirmed, will be interesting to see how it fits in. I'm already half sold on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭emeraldmtb

Cycling Ireland confirmed that E-Bikes are now copvered by insurancew, which was the only reason they couldnt be used at reces previously. I know the Grassroots are including an e-bike category as well this year.

So has anyone signed up for next weekend, I'm going to give it a go for the craic. Probably the easiest or novice friendly course to dip my toe into Enduro racing.

I'm waiting for the rear shock to arrive back from service which hopefully it will in the next day or two. And then I'll sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I'm tempted but i think I've a bit further to go skills wise

So has anyone signed up for next weekend, I'm going to give it a go for the craic. Probably the easiest or novice friendly course to dip my toe into Enduro racing.

Signed up for all of them. Can't wait for the weekend and Met.ie is optimistic about the weather.

Yeah, it's a good one to start out on but none of them are easy if you are trying hard. B-Stoe prob has more trail centre section that any of the others so that makes it a bit easier.

steamsey wrote: »
    Signed up for all of them. Can't wait for the weekend and Met.ie is optimistic about the weather.

Yeah, it's a good one to start out on but none of them are easy if you are trying hard. B-Stoe prob has more trail centre section that any of the others so that makes it a bit easier.

I take it you've done them before, if so have a question re the format if thats okay. On Saturday is the practice timed or is it just more of a reccy of the course. Then on Sunday, are you given a time to start or is it literally, sign on and head for the 1st stage and start them as you arrive at each stage working your way through the day?

I take it you've done them before, if so have a question re the format if thats okay. On Saturday is the practice timed or is it just more of a reccy of the course. Then on Sunday, are you given a time to start or is it literally, sign on and head for the 1st stage and start them as you arrive at each stage working your way through the day?

The Saturday practice is not timed. You can practice whatever you like. Some people would do all stages on the Saturday but depends on fitness, familiarity with trails etc. For example, if I heard a stage was mainly trail centre, I would probably skip it. You can repeat tricky sections, and stand back and watch people doing them so you learn. If you have the time, it can be a good long day on the bike but watch energy levels etc as you'll need a lot for Sunday.

On Saturday, you can get a start time for the actual race on Sunday. Earlier you are there on Sat, the earlier you can go out on Sunday. Can sign up few friends too if needed if they're not there on Sat.

So on Sunday, you either have a time from being there on Saturday, or you can get a time on Sunday itself, but would prob be a slightly later start time. Then you head off at that time and go through the stages in order.

Feel free to ask around on Saturday - even ask the organisers about what trails to focus on for practice if you don't have all day to do them all.

Have made the mistake in the past of flying around on practice day, doing all stages, some repeats etc and then being in bits for the race day. Some pacing required on practice day unless you're 16!

Peter T wrote: »
    I'm tempted but i think I've a bit further to go skills wise

Racing MTBs is a great way to improve skills!

Thanks for the info, depending on the layout I might leave out sections on Saturday, save the legs for Sunday. Is it better to get out earlier or later to avoid holding up people or should I just go out and race my own race without worrying about the faster riders (obviously I'll move out of way if they're behind me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Indeed but i want to build a solid base before I pull the trigger

Peter T wrote: »
    Indeed but i want to build a solid base before I pull the trigger

I think there's an option to just do 3 stages if you feel you don't have the fitness to do the full one.

Thanks for the info, depending on the layout I might leave out sections on Saturday, save the legs for Sunday. Is it better to get out earlier or later to avoid holding up people or should I just go out and race my own race without worrying about the faster riders (obviously I'll move out of way if they're behind me)

Race your own race. Riders behind you will give you plenty of notice and unless you're on something like the Expressway down there, you should be able to pull in pretty easily. And don't get disheartened if you're being passed - keep it going.

There'll be fast riders with all sorts of start times. Hard to say how best to avoid then other than go as fast as you can!

Later start times though can run the risk of more mud, braking holes, broken tape marking trails. Broken tape has caught me out more than once.

MET.ie says 18c and sunny for the practice day on Sat. Bit of cloud maybe on Sunday but still warm - should be good. 30Km route. Entries close 10PM tonight. Can't wait. I'll try to stick vids of the practice day up on youtube for anyone who can't make the practice.

Going from last weekend being in layers and wind breaker to tshirt the following one.
    Looking forward to it myself albeit a bit apprehensive but should be fine, won't be much different to what I've ridden before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Gutted I'm missing this. Have raced Ballinastoe the past 4 years but did my ankle in 5 weeks ago so have been off the bike since. Good luck to all involved, nothing like a sunny weekend of racing.

Not sure if I'll be making it. Just had an injection in my wrist today.. maybe it will settle down by Saturday. Best of luck to all

Good but seriously warm event, especially Saturday. I didn't do the full 5 stages on Saturday as wanted to conserve a bit of energy for race day, just did the more technical upper sections and bits I wasn't familiar with.
    Sunday was a bit fresher, didn't have the dead heat of Saturday so the climbs weren't as energy zapping. Good day overall and felt better on the bike than Saturday so was happy with my times. Racked up various pr's around the course so can't complain from that end.
    Stages were all running really well, and you couldn't ask for better conditions, slightly wet up top of 3 and 5 but everything else was dry. New 4 is nice and a slight change to middle of 5 and 3 but everything else was pretty much as you were.
    Great atmosphere around the place, helped some what by the weather I'm sure but really enjoyed the event and glad I entered. Much prefer the format than that of the Blitz which I did there back in February. Will definitely try and get to Slade and Carrig races later in the year.

Well did many do it in the end?

Did all 5 on the Sat, still not sure on the balance of knowing the trails vs conserving energy for the race.

Was a good Enduro. Trails riding well on Sunday. Nice to see a new trail (stage 4). Good turn out by the looks of it, and a TON of younglings.

No crashes, no mechanicals so good from that perspective. Gave it a good go but result was middle of category. I need lessons!

• Advertisement

steamsey wrote: »
    Well did many do it in the end?

Did all 5 on the Sat, still not sure on the balance of knowing the trails vs conserving energy for the race.

Was a good Enduro. Trails riding well on Sunday. Nice to see a new trail (stage 4). Good turn out by the looks of it, and a TON of younglings.

No crashes, no mechanicals so good from that perspective. Gave it a good go but result was middle of category. I need lessons!

Yeah I did it, didn't get any practice on Saturday. Luckily I have done most of the trails before. Had a largely trouble free day, no crashes and only minor mechanicals which wasn't bad as the race day was the first run of the bike post rebuild. Pace was much improved from the enduros I did last year. As above it was a tough day in the heat but a great atmosphere and great fun. Trails were top notch. Will be back out for Carrick

Advertisement