Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Irish" tourists dump rubbish on NZ beach, threaten locals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They won't get away with any sh1t over there.

Pity it isn't the same here. We are far too soft on them.

Edit. Nice to see the Mail Online accurately describing them as British gypsies seeing as they are from Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

zell12 wrote: »

They put in more effort to acting the böllix than they would have to in an honest days work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

zell12 wrote: »
    It is kind of hilarious to read the comments, people losing their sh#t over them being described as british lol

Gravelly wrote: »
    They put in more effort to acting the böllix than they would have to in an honest days work.

Yeah, but the pay for an honest days work isn't as good as what they get for acting the bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

How much would it cost to bring a family of 12 to NZ?

Where did that money come from?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

From the sounds of things, they didn't need any spending money so it would considerably reduce the cost of the trip.

As per my post on the other thread, I wonder if this is the rich grandfather yer man was on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well the HSE regularly fund cultural events for same including hotels, food etc. Perhaps this came under a similar UK cultural exchange type programme to support ethnic diversity?

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/four-men-charged-after-a-riot-broke-out-at-rathkea/

Interestingly another hotel in the Limerick area had its bar and function area smashed up after a large traveller family were provided by the HSE with 'emergency' accomodation and a free restaurant on NYE. Peculiarly same family turned up dressed to the nines with My Big Fat Gypsey Wedding type outfits and hairdos for the night ....

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/355999/four-men-charged-following-new-year-s-brawl-at-limerick-hotel.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

As per my post on the other thread, I wonder if this is the rich grandfather yer man was on about?

the fault of everybody but him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

They don't give an absolute shïte. Listen to John Connors - travellers have absolutely no shame about how they behave, and actually think civilised society is some kind of wimpy cop-out, and that they are the "real men".
    There was a poster on the Margaret Cash thread, presumably a traveller, who said as much as well.
    The see us as a soft touch to be leeched upon, and they are facilitated in this by their taxpayer-funded quangos, the media, and government.

When asked about travellers robbing old people during an interview a few years ago, John Connors mumbled

"sure maybe those old guys didn't need the money"

Preying on people is acceptable to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

How to describe them is a problem...to the British they are Irish to the Irish they are British. We can't call them Anglo Irish either or the folks in the big old houses will be rightly outraged :D

Maybe a new term like Irish Anglo would solve that issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://vimeo.com/53677322

This lot come across as quite 'classy' compared with the bunch in New Zealand ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

archer22 wrote: »
    How to describe them is a problem...to the British they are Irish to the Irish they are British. We can't call them Anglo Irish either or the folks in the big old houses will be rightly outraged :D

They are British nationals, of Irish Traveller ethnicity.

Have to laugh at the consul trying to claim that Irish Travellers aren't Irish: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/109977822/irish-community-being-unfairly-blamed-for-troublemaking-tourist-family

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    When asked about travellers robbing old people during an interview a few years ago, John Connors mumbled

"sure maybe those old guys didn't need the money"

Preying on people is acceptable to them[/quote

PURE VERMIN the lot of them Neanderthals never died out travellers are whats left of the rubbish that survived or inbred

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

And they wonder why there is discrimination against them? Reputation precedes them generally.

But I agree, these are not Irish tourists. The New Zealanders need to call them out as Travellers since that is their ethnicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Surprise,Surprise.
    To be fair, probably about half of the travelling community have the surname "Cash". I remember having a scrap with a knacker called Johnny Cash when I were a lad.

From that link though
    Community Magistrate Ngaire Mascelle took into account Cash's early guilty plea and her night spent in police cells.

"That is a significant penalty itself for a first time offender," Mascelle said.

"First time offender", aw bless :D

seamus wrote: »
    I remember having a scrap with a knacker called Johnny Cash when I were a lad.

Did you walk the line?

seamus wrote: »
    To be fair, probably about half of the travelling community have the surname "Cash". I remember having a scrap with a knacker called Johnny Cash when I were a lad.

From that link though

"First time offender", aw bless :D

First time caught and prosecuted in NZ more likely.

I wouldn't have thought that NZ would have sought to see if she had a criminal record here or in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

Scouse gypsies?

Their accent must be like nails scraping a chalkboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Gotta love the way NZ public are having a go at them leaving court. Made me laugh...

Locals can be heard shouting "how's your holiday?" and "you going to pick your rubbish up?" while others asked "when are you going home?"
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz//nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12191293&ref=clavis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

"At the same time another woman she was with hid a bottle of Primo milk under her dressing gown while paying for a packet of cigarettes."

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Murty201

"At the same time another woman she was with hid a bottle of Primo milk under her dressing gown while paying for a packet of cigarettes."

But, it's just some milk for the babby!

archer22 wrote: »

Just imagine how confused the journos in NZ are!
    They probably don't even know there is an ethnicity "Irish Traveler"
    They'd just deconstruct that to mean "tourist from Ireland", but with a British passport...? are sure Ireland is part of UK anyway so that explains that!

Seriously, not many would know that NI and ROI are different passports.

Murty201 wrote: »
    But, it's just some milk for the babby!

Still no excuse for going out in ya dressing gown. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Jizique

It even made the German papers (bild zeitung) but they have them as english, which is quite positive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

razorblunt wrote: »
    Introduce them to some of the Maori from Rotorua.
    They'd put some manners on them quite quickly.
    Doubt they would be so quick to act like that if it was the Maoris requesting them to tidy up.
    Meant to say when I read that, there could be a problem there...
    ¨

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/15/regaining-maori-identity-and-keeping-them-out-of-new-zealands-jails
    While those who identify as Māori make up about 15% of the New Zealand population, the corresponding figure behind bars is more than 50%. Among women, for whom there is no Te Tirohanga option, it is higher still, at 60%.

UN voices concern about over-representation of Maori in prisons

The most recent data suggests more than six of every 10 Māori prisoners will be back inside within 48 months. At its core, the rehabilitation-focused approach of Te Tirohanga is an attempt to interrupt the tendency for jails to act as recruitment centres for gangs and incubators for further criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what do RTE have to say about these knackers? "salt of the earth' ? 'misunderstood' etc? at least over there the politicians call them out for being what they are... scum!
    Why would rte have anything to say about a bunch of English scumbags causing trouble in New Zealand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Are they Irish travellers with British passports? Surname of one charged before the courts is CASH?

See link, is it the same crowd, name and shame them.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/rowdy-tourists-irelands-consul-general-slams-racist-stereotyping/ar-BBSjY2A?li=BBr5KbJ&ocid=mailsignout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

kravmaga wrote: »
    Are they Irish travellers with British passports? Surname of one charged before the courts is CASH?

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/rowdy-tourists-irelands-consul-general-slams-racist-stereotyping/ar-BBSjY2A?li=BBr5KbJ&ocid=mailsignout
    Lots of Cash's in the UK too, used to work in Tusla and we were very, very well acquainted with some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

They are British nationals, of Irish Traveller ethnicity.

Have to laugh at the consul trying to claim that Irish Travellers aren't Irish: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/109977822/irish-community-being-unfairly-blamed-for-troublemaking-tourist-family

What matters, to the consul, is the passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'm living in NZ at the minute and only last week, a few of us were discussing how it seemed to be the last outpost, at least in the anglophone world, that the travellers hadn't arrived in. Then this sh1tstorm starts.....

Their escapades are making daily headlines here since the beach incident and people here are obviously pissed off with it, but slightly fascinated by the whole traveller thing. Your average Kiwi has absolutely no concept of what a traveller/gypsy is. I've been explaining it to work colleagues all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

All English-Brits according to the Irish Times, ha ha ha, (like they really thought that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Whatever about the passports they travel on

Just look at that map, plotting their course across the North Island with a literal trail of destruction and mayhem left in their wake

It says they even kicked off on the plane, ffs

Staggering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

At least over here (NZ) they are being called out on the scumbag behaviour by the locals, the papers and the courts. No one here has any time for it and don't stand for it either.
    They'll be hounded out of NZ yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

At least over here (NZ) they are being called out on the scumbag behaviour by the locals, the papers and the courts. No one here has any time for it and don't stand for it either.

Yeah its a pity everyone in Ireland is afraid to call them out on their behaviour for fear of being called a racist.

Wonder how the kids schooling is going when they are on the road trip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Looks like they have been served deportation notices.
    Puts a smile on my face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

A 26-year-old woman involved with the group has been arrested by police and charged with theft, the police spokeswoman said.

The theft charge related to an incident that took place in the north shore area of Auckland, and the woman is set to appear before Hamilton District Court on Wednesday.

Guilty as charged!

Caught red handed on CCTV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

http://nzh.tw/12190622?fbclid=IwAR00MSmr1CSr42fMAnv6FWno2ZFDh-tmWQeY5ZhBnHsoRMDch5zkyeYmHuc

About half way through the video, they talk to one of the group who is from Liverpool and definitely sounds English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If we go on holiday, we treat every country like our own country

Some actual truth from them. Only difference is that its tolerated, nae excused in their own country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'm living in NZ at the minute and only last week, a few of us were discussing how it seemed to be the last outpost, at least in the anglophone world, that the travellers hadn't arrived in. Then this sh1tstorm starts.....

Their escapades are making daily headlines here since the beach incident and people here are obviously pissed off with it, but slightly fascinated by the whole traveller thing. Your average Kiwi has absolutely no concept of what a traveller/gypsy is. I've been explaining it to work colleagues all week.

I hope you're fairly explaining their culture, boss

And they're on the move...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/109994884/unruly-travelling-family-spotted-in-wellingtons-northern-suburbs

I'm loving how the general public are getting involved in keeping an eye on them instead of fearfully turning a blind eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Your average Kiwi has absolutely no concept of what a traveller/gypsy is. I've been explaining it to work colleagues all week.

Out of interest, I'd love to how you'd explain it to those that have no concept of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    A tinker could be born and raised in Tonga and still speak like that, they are often generations in the UK and speak the same as their cousins from athlone

My sister is friends with a settled Traveller girl. This girl is smart and she's determined in a professional sense. She's working in an office in a secretarial capacity the last couple of years. She sounds more or less like anyone else my sister hangs out with. Then he mother calls and the accent changes "Hellooo Mommy". It's that Traveller accent that seems to be ubiquitous regardless of location. Could be Dublin, Wexford or Mullingar and it's all the same. So very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Omackeral wrote: »
    Out of interest, I'd love to how you'd explain it to those that have no concept of them?

The only connection between Gypsies and Travellers are similarities in behaviour.
    Other than that they are two very separate groups.

Gypsies = Dark skinned originating from northern India

Travellers= white skinned originating from Ireland

Omackeral wrote: »

I remember when I 1st moved over here and the 1st summer we had.
    The weather was nice on occasion and there was more than a few BBQs involved... But try as I might, the Mrs wouldn't let me go down to the shops in my singlet to buy more beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteGuys don't use the k word/etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

christalmighty! I've been reading this thread for the past few days and you would think that NZ is some sort of nirvana where everything is 'nice' and a bit of anti-social behaviour is a National crisis.
    So bleedin' what if an extended family of Irish/English travelers did a bit of shoplifting and left rubbish on a beach, they didn't murder anyone which is what happened to that poor English backpacker in Auckland just before Christmas.
    I can only presume that it is the mid-summer silly season down there and the media have nothing better to do!
    Worth listening to: 1.50, "NZ is peddled as a as this great, easy, happy-go-luck, chill place"
    last words, "....there's quite a dark undercurrent to NZ .."

Mod NoteGuys don't use the k word/etc.

Not allowed to call NZers Kiwis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I disagree. They carry on like that here and in the UK and we are supposed to put up and shut up cause it’s not that bad, it’s only a bit of rubbish, sure doesn’t it keep someone in the council in a job? Sure what’s 55 euros worth of groceries here and there? Or the cafe won’t miss a 100 euros bill either.
    It’s not the crimes, it’s the entitlement and the impact their petty crimes have on other people. Why should everyone else pick up theirs rubbish? Why should small businesses be out of pocket? They’re a guest in someone else’s country and they’re absolutely shameless. This isn’t normal or rational behaviour and they deserve to be called out on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement