Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Irish" tourists dump rubbish on NZ beach, threaten locals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

christalmighty! I've been reading this thread for the past few days and you would think that NZ is some sort of nirvana where everything is 'nice' and a bit of anti-social behaviour is a National crisis.
    So bleedin' what if an extended family of Irish/English travelers did a bit of shoplifting and left rubbish on a beach, they didn't murder anyone which is what happened to that poor English backpacker in Auckland just before Christmas.
    I can only presume that it is the mid-summer silly season down there and the media have nothing better to do!
    Worth listening to: 1.50, "NZ is peddled as a as this great, easy, happy-go-luck, chill place"
    last words, "....there's quite a dark undercurrent to NZ .."

Well quite obviously this familys behaviour was quite ununusual, unusual enough for a New Zealander to follow these people to their car and ask them to clear up their rubbish. The locals cleared up the rubbish themselves after the family left, they would probably be shocked to know that local authorities here clear up after travellers all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ArrBee

christalmighty! I've been reading this thread for the past few days and you would think that NZ is some sort of nirvana where everything is 'nice' and a bit of anti-social behaviour is a National crisis.
    So bleedin' what if an extended family of Irish/English travelers did a bit of shoplifting and left rubbish on a beach, they didn't murder anyone which is what happened to that poor English backpacker in Auckland just before Christmas.
    I can only presume that it is the mid-summer silly season down there and the media have nothing better to do!
    Worth listening to: 1.50, "NZ is peddled as a as this great, easy, happy-go-luck, chill place"
    last words, "....there's quite a dark undercurrent to NZ .."

I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, about some of the many social problems in NZ.
    Very high if not highest rates of family violence and child mortality.
    Generally "not tolerated" but when it's behind closed doors it's harder to call out.

when it comes to the gangs. There's a long history there.
    I would liken them to the Dublin drug family cartels, but bigger and more public.
    There is a bit of legitimization though which leads to open dialog between gangs and police. This helps keep tabs on behavior a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah its a pity everyone in Ireland is afraid to call them out on their behaviour for fear of being called a racist.

Does this actually happen to any meaningful degree? I've never felt afraid to call out scummy behaviour from travellers. And judging by comments on AH traveller threads it looks like most people are unafraid to do it either.

If there are people on here who are scared of that one who compares travellers to the Amish or the guy who thinks settled folk are dumping rubbish on halting sites, the problem lies with them alone and they should probably stay indoors lest they have a panic attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Omackeral wrote: »
    My sister is friends with a settled Traveller girl. This girl is smart and she's determined in a professional sense. She's working in an office in a secretarial capacity the last couple of years. She sounds more or less like anyone else my sister hangs out with. Then he mother calls and the accent changes "Hellooo Mommy". It's that Traveller accent that seems to be ubiquitous regardless of location. Could be Dublin, Wexford or Mullingar and it's all the same. So very odd.

It's important to give folks a fair go as individuals. Kudos to that girl.

But then some individuals who are crooked like to talk about discrimination on account of their group membership and seek to take advantage to get special treatment. I say no special sympathy for them when they are caught.

People who genuinely hate discrimination hate it in all directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Omackeral wrote: »
    My sister is friends with a settled Traveller girl. This girl is smart and she's determined in a professional sense. She's working in an office in a secretarial capacity the last couple of years. She sounds more or less like anyone else my sister hangs out with. Then he mother calls and the accent changes "Hellooo Mommy". It's that Traveller accent that seems to be ubiquitous regardless of location. Could be Dublin, Wexford or Mullingar and it's all the same. So very odd.
    I had a flatmate from Kerry who worked reception in hotels. He'd worked in Ireland, the UK and Switzerland. He had a very neutral accent, until he was talking to his relatives on the phone and his natural Kerry bogger accent came out. It was like he was speaking a different language :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ArrBee wrote: »
    I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, about some of the many social problems in NZ.
    Very high if not highest rates of family violence and child mortality.
    Generally "not tolerated" but when it's behind closed doors it's harder to call out.

when it comes to the gangs. There's a long history there.
    I would liken them to the Dublin drug family cartels, but bigger and more public.
    There is a bit of legitimization though which leads to open dialog between gangs and police. This helps keep tabs on behavior a bit.

Denial of problems is a key kiwi trait, try complaining about anything in that country and you are told to

"stop whining"

Sympathise with anyone dealing with travellers but kiwis are a self satisfied bunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Denial of problems is a key kiwi trait, try complaining about anything in that country with a pommie accent and you are told to

"stop whining"

Fyp.

NZ is well busy facing up to it's own problems.

Arguably the higher rates are as much to do with honesty about the problem as differences in underlying rates.

And if it was a Mongrel Mob family who'd littered Tapapuna Beach, no one would have said a word to them.

What ypu are seeing in the media is simply summertime and the lack of any real news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

DailyMail screams
    British gypsy family who caused havoc across New Zealand speak out from hiding to claim they are not being treated with respect and 'have no rights'
    'If people come to the UK, they have rights, What are our rights here? We have none,'
    The family now say they have been inundated with death threats, sexist slurs and claim a $5,000 bounty has been put on the head of their 18-year-old son.
    'We had to flee for our life. Our seven-year-old grandson was hit at the beach. We asked 'could you stop hitting him and pinning him against the tree', and they called us all sorts of names and threatened us. That's why we couldn't pick the rubbish up.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Billy86 wrote: »
    Lots of Cash's in the UK too, used to work in Tusla and we were very, very well acquainted with some of them.

Brave person to be admitting to working in Tusla just to make a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I work in construction and was down in shannon yesterday visiting a project. The builders project manager took a call from a person that sounded irate - looking for cash - I could overhear the call.

He said to me that there’s a massive protection racket going on in limerick run by travellers. Pay up or else. There’s thousands been handed over.

These people are leeches of the highest order. absolutely zero time for them or their culture. The bring shame and embarrassment to civilised people either home or abroad. No morals, no ethics, no stakeholding in building society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I work in construction and was down in shannon yesterday visiting a project. The builders project manager took a call from a person that sounded irate - looking for cash - I could overhear the call.

He said to me that there’s a massive protection racket going on in limerick run by travellers. Pay up or else. There’s thousands been handed over.

These people are leeches of the highest order. absolutely zero time for them or their culture. The bring shame and embarrassment to civilised people either home or abroad. No morals, no ethics, no stakeholding in building society.

Record the call and hand it over to the Guards. If everyone did it there would be no protection racket.

zell12 wrote: »
    LOL They finally have to face some consequences for their sh!tty behaviour and they start crying about lack of respect and rights. Boo fcuking hoo. If only the police in Ireland and the UK would treat them the same, they might actually start acting like decent citizens. Of course the police in Ireland are too busy at checkpoints and the UK are tied up arresting the meanies on twitter.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    LOL They finally have to face some consequences for their sh!tty behaviour and they start crying about lack of respect and rights. Boo fcuking hoo. If only the police in Ireland and the UK would treat them the same, they might actually start acting like decent citizens. Of course the police in Ireland are too busy at checkpoints and the UK are tied up arresting the meanies on twitter.

Travellers are always lightening quick to play the put upon victim once they see their scam - bad behaviour has been called out.

They are an utterly predictable bunch

Pinch Flat wrote: »

These people are leeches of the highest order. absolutely zero time for them or their culture. The bring shame and embarrassment to civilised people either home or abroad. No morals, no ethics, no stake
    holding in building society.

And endlessly eulogised by bubble dwelling media and academic types

Re_ the Limerick story, Limerick organised crime has always had travellers at its core, this is a criminal sub-culture, no different to the huge extended crime families of Southern Italy.

That's all they are, a loose collection of big and small time criminals.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Travellers are always lightening quick to play the put upon victim once they see their scam - bad behaviour has been called out.

They are an utterly predictable bunch
    They're trying to claim they only left a mess on the beach because a child was bullying one of theirs and they had to leave in a hurry because they were being intimidated :pac:

No mention of all the CCTV evidence of them robbing their way across the island :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They're trying to claim they only left a mess on the beach because a child was bullying one of theirs and they had to leave in a hurry because they were being intimidated :pac:

No mention of all the CCTV evidence of them robbing their way across the island :rolleyes:

Lieing is like breathing to travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Garibaldi?

The term "innocent" is one beloved of travellers. Not used in the legal sense of "not guilty". Nor in the sense of "untarnished", "spotless", "blameless". No. It's use is unmistakeably pejorative, to describe someone who is a bit of a gob*****, easily fooled and taken advantage of! Says a lot about the value system!:D:D:D

The kiwi press have completely shown up our journalist fraternity for the bunch of clones they are, had a charecter like Margaret cash appeared in any other country, she would be exposed for the leech she is instead of being portrayed as some sort of civil rights hero

This country has gone so far left, it beggars belief, the kiwis tore those low life's a new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

In another few years that young fella will make Jake the Muss seem like Mother Teresa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Record the call and hand it over to the Guards. If everyone did it there would be no protection racket.

"from a disadvantaged background" Suspended sentence at best, probably triple digit convictions already.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

tomoliver wrote: »
    have the travelers got worse since they got their new rights recently?

certainly seems to be the case

theres some pubs and town nearly closed off in spain too recently in the news

Yes, a bunch of Tinkers caused mayhem, in I think, Lanzarote. The stories were horrific, as told on Liveline, publicans (Irish guys running Irish bars) beaten and intimidated, wholesale theft, violence. etc. When confronted, they said they owned the place and would do as they pleased. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You got to respect the set of stones on that youngfella.

the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, as the old saying goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

What were they doing in New Zealand in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Robbing and scamming it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What an example of manhood. :D

The come hither look for possible mates.

JLWTLB5UMFFTHBW47EHED5XYTA.jpg

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

jmayo wrote: »
    What an example of manhood. :D

The come hither look for possible mates.

JLWTLB5UMFFTHBW47EHED5XYTA.jpg
    Be still my beating heart......

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Probably does more riding than all of boards combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Lady in red has some seriously long arms, that buggy she's pushing must be 10 feet away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

well that is an image that will not help with the digestion of my lunch.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

well that is an image that will not help with the digestion of my lunch.

he probably goes 'on the job' with a bottle of beer in one hand as well and leaves the vest on.

Those halting sites are like shooting fish in a barrel if you don't mind who related to you.

he probably goes 'on the job' with a bottle of beer in one hand as well and leaves the vest on.

i may be seeing that lunch again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Sisters don't count.

i may be seeing that lunch again.
    Take another look at the pic above.....look at that expression. It's the exact face he makes when he climbs off.

Take another look at the pic above.....look at that expression. It's the exact face he makes when he climbs off.

Quickly followed by fingers guns.

You are a bad person and the thread in praise of you should be deleted.

Quickly followed by fingers guns.
    1 finger gun, he's still holding his beer in the other hand

• Advertisement

1 finger gun, he's still holding his beer in the other hand

I thought that's what the belly was for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am not mad into horses but I would well believe ya.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Apparently they wanted to see the Hobbits.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Have they got their own reality TV show over there yet?

Sounds like New Zealanders are fascinated and appalled by them in equal measure which is usually the ingredients of a reality TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Have they got their own reality TV show over there yet?

Sounds like New Zealanders are fascinated and appalled by them in equal measure which is usually the ingredients of a reality TV show.

New Zealand is a bit behind the times in some ways so maybe.

Anyway it's alright folks.

According to the Daily Mail they are Brits.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6611715/Gypsy-travellers-terrorising-New-Zealand-leave-hotel-room-cigarettes-red-bull-SPAGHETTI.html

Fecks sake they must be if they are publishing it, otherwise the headline would have been Irish travellers.

BTW Joe Doran, pictured above, is happily married to Miley.

No not that Miley, he's dead.:(

Well here is interesting little nugget in the story.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/pregnant-unruly-tourist-vomited-blood-in-cells/news-story/114962cce9045943d275c255512c7b2e
    A pregnant member of the family of unruly tourists accused of stealing and creating havoc across New Zealand claims she “vomited blood” while under arrest in police cells.

Tina Maria Cash, 26, is one of the British holidaymakers “from hell” creating world headlines with their antics caught on camera going viral.

The group is accused of dumping rubbish on a beach, scamming for free meals by claiming their food is contaminated with ants or hair, and abusing locals with a child shouting and giving the finger.

Cash faced Hamilton District Court on NZ’s North Island on Tuesday and pleaded guilty to two counts of theft for stealing energy drinks, a rope and sunglasses from an Auckland service station.

Now where have I seen that surname before?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

TheTimes - Leader of unruly British family in NZ ‘dyes hair blond’ to avoid identification
    ..a spree across New Zealand have tried to disguise themselves as locals track and broadcast their movements on social media.

NZH - Brother of unruly tourists says their names have been 'trashed' following holiday of hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

So ethnic Irish travellers from England.

Mystery finally solved.

They are British nationals and of Irish traveller ethnicity. Its not too hard to understand.
    So ethnic Irish travellers from England.

Mystery finally solved.

Catch up complete, DLH ;)

zell12 wrote: »

"They've been targeted because they are Travellers."

Quelle surprise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ArrBee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

any word on how they got on in Hong Kong??

• Advertisement
Advertisement